Main Menu

Missions/Purpose of CAP

Started by Always Ready, January 20, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

Always Ready

In the recently locked "What type of military status is cap?" thread a several good points were brought up. But one in particular caught my eye. As a cadet, I was taught that CAP has three missions/purposes: Aerospace Education, Cadet Programs, and Emergency Services.

RiverAux brought up that there are five missions of CAP:
(1) To provide an organization to—
(A) encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy; and
(B) encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
(2) To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
(3) To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
(4) To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
(5) To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its noncombat programs and missions.

Personally I think the above should be emphasized to everyone, at every level, of CAP. It should be a requirement for everyone at National to have this visible at their desk (and a Keep It Simple Stupid post-it note attached to their computer screen >:D) I know that listing AE, CP, and ES are easier, but it does not show our true potential and it tends to blur our public (as well as internal) perception. People, IMHO, tend to think of it like this:
Aerospace Education-Huh? Oh, you mean that thing that cadets have to take tests on? Yeah as long as I don't have to teach it I don't care.
Cadet Programs-Kids wanting to be in/like the military. JROTC alternative or supplement.
Emergency Services- Flying and SAR...sometimes communication in involved.

Why aren't we teaching our cadets that this (this = the quoted material) is our mission/purpose? And for that matter our Senior Members? Thoughts?

lordmonar

The list RiverAux posted is what Congress expects the CAP to do.

Our three missions is how CAP organises us to fulfil those expectations.

There is no disconnect.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Except for the fact that the "three missions" concept leaves out anything relating to promoting civil aviation in local communities.  If the VSAF program ends up getting expanded, we'll be even more directly addressing the AF noncombat missions (right now they are sort of a byproduct of the ES role only). 

I started another thread on the fact that the entire cadet program is actually only one of the ways we are fulfilling our AE mission. 

1 and 4 could easily be combined into a more generic ES role statement. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on January 20, 2009, 11:50:04 PM
Except for the fact that the "three missions" concept leaves out anything relating to promoting civil aviation in local communities.

It's not left out.  That's totally "Aerospace Education"...  CAP breaks down AE further into internal (teaching members) and external (building awareness in the general public).

If the VSAF program ends up getting expanded, we'll be even more directly addressing the AF noncombat missions (right now they are sort of a byproduct of the ES role only). 

Which is why you see more and more that National CAP is referring to Emergency Services instead as "Operations" which encompasses all of our missions for the AF and also for other federal, state and local agencies.

I started another thread on the fact that the entire cadet program is actually only one of the ways we are fulfilling our AE mission. 

The Cadet Programs mission does have an AE component (1 of its 5 components) but our Aerospace Education mission encompasses all of the ways we fulfill that tasking - both the internal, to cadets and s'members, and the external to the public.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Our Group:

Performs about 30 percent of all missions in the Wing (ES)

Maintains an active HF and VHF communications net (ES)

Has specially-trained officers and cadets who conduct guided tours at the US Air Force Space and Missile Museum (AE, Encouragement of Airpower)

Conducts outreach programs to aviation groups to teach SAR procedures and survival skills to area GA pilots.  (AE and ES)

Conducts three mini-encampments each year to enhance cadet training (CP)

Has officers in uniform attend board meetings of the area Airport Commissions to encourage local aviation and continued support of CAP (AE)

Participates in local air shows by providing cadet flight line support, and putting CAP planes and equipment on static display, with pilots available to answer questions.  (CP, encouragement of aviation, and AE)

Missions are to be accomplished.  Not sloughed off in favor of a flying club.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

QuoteIt's not left out.  That's totally "Aerospace Education"...  CAP breaks down AE further into internal (teaching members) and external (building awareness in the general public).
That is a HUGE stretch.  I think we can guarantee that most CAP members are already going to generally support the concept of local civil aviation, so neither or cadet or senior AE programs are really going to have any significant impact on this issue.  Similarily, if you have a unit which is actually doing external AE (a big rarity), more than likely it is going to be restricted to teaching kids basic principles of flight stuff at the local elementary school and that is also not going to have any direct impact on the level of support for local civil aviation. 

Besides buying fuel at the local FBO, the largest impact CAP has on supporting local civil aviation was getting maintenance done at the FBO, which is most cases is no longer the case due to consolidated maintenance. 

They separated "support local civil aviation" out from our general AE purpose for a reason and we just don't do anything along those lines.  Please point me to any CAP regulation, policy, or guidebook on exactly what local units are supposed to be doing to specifically do this task.

EMT-83

Quote from: RiverAux on January 21, 2009, 03:34:57 AMBesides buying fuel at the local FBO, the largest impact CAP has on supporting local civil aviation was getting maintenance done at the FBO, which is most cases is no longer the case due to consolidated maintenance.

Our squadron has hosted the monthly FAA Wings program at the municipal airport for many years. We also have a great working relationship with the local EAA chapter. I guess you could call that supporting local civil aviation.

lordmonar

Except for the fact that the "three missions" concept leaves out anything relating to promoting civil aviation in local communities. 
Seems like we have a whole external AE Program that covers that.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on January 21, 2009, 03:34:57 AM
QuoteIt's not left out.  That's totally "Aerospace Education"...  CAP breaks down AE further into internal (teaching members) and external (building awareness in the general public).
That is a HUGE stretch.  I think we can guarantee that most CAP members are already going to generally support the concept of local civil aviation, so neither or cadet or senior AE programs are really going to have any significant impact on this issue.  Similarily, if you have a unit which is actually doing external AE (a big rarity), more than likely it is going to be restricted to teaching kids basic principles of flight stuff at the local elementary school and that is also not going to have any direct impact on the level of support for local civil aviation. 

Besides buying fuel at the local FBO, the largest impact CAP has on supporting local civil aviation was getting maintenance done at the FBO, which is most cases is no longer the case due to consolidated maintenance. 

They separated "support local civil aviation" out from our general AE purpose for a reason and we just don't do anything along those lines.  Please point me to any CAP regulation, policy, or guidebook on exactly what local units are supposed to be doing to specifically do this task.

Of I don't know...I think we pull a lot of people into CAP who are not totally aviation minded.  In my last squadron almost half of them were not pilots and joined CAP to "learn more about aviation".  Which fulfils the purpose of "foster and encourage civil aviation in local communities".

The fact that local units and wings are not doing their jobs properly is NOT a problem with how we have divided/defined the missions of CAP.

RiverAux

Aerospace Education is a separately defined mission from encouraging local civil aviation so you cannot claim that generic AE activities are really meeting that task.   

QuoteSeems like we have a whole external AE Program that covers that.
No, not at all.  Here is how the purpose of the external AE program is described in 280-2:
QuoteThe External AE Program presents aerospace education to the public.
Basically, it is nothing more than re-packaging the same info we give our members to the public. 

Sponsoring the local Wings program would certainly meet that goal and I applaud the unit doing so, but its not like that sort of thing is explicitly encouraged that I've found. 

But, lets think about this for a minute.  What other SPECIFIC things might CAP do that would explicitly promote civil aviation in the local community? 

KyCAP

Seminar about ELT phase-out... duh.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

IceNine

Fairly certain that won't promote aviation in the local community general public

However, sponsoring fly-in's works well and could bring a few bucks.  Put a few planes on static, and get the local flight school on board.

It get's big fast, but they work especially if you get an attractant like cheap food and a radio spot.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CPT Anderson

Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 20, 2009, 01:59:06 PM
In the recently locked "What type of military status is cap?" thread a several good points were brought up. But one in particular caught my eye. As a cadet, I was taught that CAP has three missions/purposes: Aerospace Education, Cadet Programs, and Emergency Services.

(A) encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy; and
(B) encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
(2) To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
(4) To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
(5) To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its noncombat programs and missions.

Personally I think the above should be emphasized to everyone, at every level, of CAP. It should be a requirement for everyone at National to have this visible at their desk (and a Keep It Simple Stupid post-it note attached to their computer screen >:D) I know that listing AE, CP, and ES are easier, but it does not show our true potential and it tends to blur our public (as well as internal) perception. People, IMHO, tend to think of it like this:
Aerospace Education-Huh? Oh, you mean that thing that cadets have to take tests on? Yeah as long as I don't have to teach it I don't care.
Cadet Programs-Kids wanting to be in/like the military. JROTC alternative or supplement.

Why aren't we teaching our cadets that this (this = the quoted material) is our mission/purpose? And for that matter our Senior Members? Thoughts?

You do realize that some people from NHQ read this and when you put KISS (even sarcastically) next to it, it doesn't come across so nice.  FYI.
Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SJFedor

Quote from: CPT Anderson on January 22, 2009, 06:47:38 AM
Quote from: alwaysreadyneverhere on January 20, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

You do realize that some people from NHQ read this and when you put KISS (even sarcastically) next to it, it doesn't come across so nice.  FYI.

Forreal. We've started threads about things on here before and actually started noticing changes to the things we were talking about from National.

This is actually an excellent medium to create conversation and, sometimes, get the ears of National.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Always Ready

Quote from: CPT Anderson on January 22, 2009, 06:47:38 AM

Oh I know...that's the point. Like most people, they make things WAY too complicated. I think it is a good idea for all of us to follow the KISS principle. It's nothing personal against anyone at National. They have been more than helpful to me. If they take it personally, oh well. What are they going to do? Take away my pay? Demote me to SM or Cadet? Hmmm not much different than I am now. The whole point is to provoke discussion and new (simpler) ways of doing things.

Now back on topic...I am encouraged to see that some CAP units have a very good relationship their local Aviation Commissions. I know some airports have a "Be a Pilot Day" and airshows. Besides the usual recruiting booth and helping out flightline-wise, has anyone actually set up different hands-on displays on ELT searches...from crash to AFRCC to CAP involvement? What about having cadets talking about their flying experiences?

I think our External Aerospace Education program focuses way too much on schools. While this helps out recruiting on the cadet side, it focuses too much on one area. In the past I've done hands-on activities (paper airplanes, model rockets, etc.) with local scout groups, both boy and girl scouts. Once again, that helps out cadet recruiting. I've noticed if we set up our aircraft at airshows, we draw more adults in. What are ways we can focus in on "Adults" externally and Senior Members internally? Does anyone go to Flying Clubs (i.e. local AOPA meetings) and do a briefing? VFW? American Legion? Any other "adult" groups?

CPT Anderson

I have gone to the VFW, etc to let them know about CAP, but more for recruiting. 
Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)