Main Menu

CAP Bailout Program

Started by Auxpilot, January 12, 2009, 08:35:32 PM

Auxpilot

I read today that Cessna is laying off 500 more employees.

Under the current willingness to spend other peoples money - I propose that CAP get part of the TARP money to purchase another 400 glass cockpit aircraft in 2009.

Lets keep those folks working!

lordmonar

We don't fly the all planes that we have.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

We fly them, just not always to the very arbitrary number of hours that CAP and/or the AF has set as a target, expecting many of those hours to be paid for by individual CAP pilots. 

Timbo

^ There are other aircraft manufacturers.  Is there a reason why we (CAP) are stuck on Cessna??

Maybe if an aircraft did not cost so much..........or if learning to fly was not so expensive, or CAP started performing their mission on educating America's youth by getting free access to Grade schools and Middle schools at the Air Force's expense.  Face it, the Air Force should be leading an aviation battle to educate the children of this country.  NASA and the Aerospace industry should make learning about flying awesome. 

I am a strong believer that every child before they graduate from High School should get a free ride in a single engine plane.  Best way to get someone interested in something is to show them first hand.  We need to lead the Aerospace revolution.  I may be biased being a pilot, but there is no other feeling like your first take off in single engine!  Well....there are some things better......but we are discussing flying here  ;)     

Chief2009

Quote from: Timbo on January 12, 2009, 10:48:33 PM
^ There are other aircraft manufacturers.  Is there a reason why we (CAP) are stuck on Cessna?? 
ONe of the big reasons is the high wings. Yes there's Maules and the Airvans, but I believe both require high-performance endorsements which not everybody has. Granted, it doesn't take much to get that endorsement, but I think Maules are a little more expensive.

Also, we already have a good relationship with Cessna. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

isuhawkeye

CAP already is a bail out program for cessna

es_g0d

TARP money should be spent as though it were YOUR tax dollars -- your real money -- that was going somewhere.  Its not free money.

Last I heard, all new airplanes purchased were to be Cessna 182s, which require a high performance endorsement.

CAP's fleet is in good health, but will require continued program replacement.  Considering the fact that we operate the world's largest fleet of GA airplanes, 90% of which are of Cessna manufacture, you'd think they'd be bowing at our feet.  The fact is they aren't, they haven't, and they won't.  I love Cessna airplanes, but even more I'd like to see a cost-effective alternative for our missions.  If nothing else, it will inspire the time-honored American tradition of competition.

Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net