AOPA Renters Insurance

Started by rightstuffpilot, January 12, 2009, 07:42:45 PM

rightstuffpilot

The new release of 60-1 is a good sign to pilots that we need to carry some type of insurance while flying CAP Aircraft.  As you may or may not know AOPA has a CAP addition for $60.  I was alittle confused exactly why you would need a CAP addition, so I gave AOPA a call.  Truthfully, it didn't seem like they had a good handle on CAP and how we were covered.  From what I could find out, anything that you could do by renting your FBO's plane--even though through CAP would be covered.  The lady I spoke with started by telling me that AOPA wouldn't cover you if you were on a CAP mission.  After much further discussion, thats not really true, its more of if your doing Search and rescue only--which even enlight of current 60-1 changes--unless you are negligent, CAP will still likely cover you in full--atleast for search and rescue.  I hope this makes sense, and if anyone else is interested in calling I'd be curious to see if you get the same understanding.  If this is the correct interpretation, I would think that with normal renters insurance and a CFI policy, I'm sufficiently covered.  What is the take of fellow pilots/CFI's out there?
HEIDI C. KIM, Maj , CAP
CFI/CFII/MEI
Spaatz # 1700

Cedar Rapids Composite Squadron- Commander

Al Sayre

Last time I looked into Renters insurance, (at the cheap rate AOPA touts) I found that it was liability insurance, NOT hull insurance.  In other words If you taxi into someone elses plane, it will cover the damage that you do to that airplane, but you are still responsible for the damage to the aircraft you are operating. That is generally the amount of their deductible, and anything that their insurance company can get from you.  If I am mistaken, someone correct me, but that's the story I got when I looked into it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Auxpilot

Quote from: rightstuffpilot on January 12, 2009, 07:42:45 PM
The new release of 60-1 is a good sign to pilots that we need to carry some type of insurance while flying CAP Aircraft.  As you may or may not know AOPA has a CAP addition for $60.  I was alittle confused exactly why you would need a CAP addition, so I gave AOPA a call.  Truthfully, it didn't seem like they had a good handle on CAP and how we were covered.  From what I could find out, anything that you could do by renting your FBO's plane--even though through CAP would be covered.  The lady I spoke with started by telling me that AOPA wouldn't cover you if you were on a CAP mission.  After much further discussion, thats not really true, its more of if your doing Search and rescue only--which even enlight of current 60-1 changes--unless you are negligent, CAP will still likely cover you in full--atleast for search and rescue.  I hope this makes sense, and if anyone else is interested in calling I'd be curious to see if you get the same understanding.  If this is the correct interpretation, I would think that with normal renters insurance and a CFI policy, I'm sufficiently covered.  What is the take of fellow pilots/CFI's out there?

I am covered by Avemco and they do not have a CAP exclusion at all.

There is no change to the liability for use of CAP aircraft in the the 60-1 as far as I can tell. The liability limits are spelled out the same way as they used to be in the 60-1 letter that is posted right after the new 60-1.

Keep in mind that this is hull coverage, not liability coverage. Unless you are doing something very stupid, you should not have to worry too much about getting charged for damage to a CAP aircraft. At worst maybe $500, which even if you got hit with that once a year would be cheaper than paying for enough hull coverage to pay for a CAP plane via the insurance co.

I think that it is important to have liability coverage out side of CAP, just in case you find yourself in a position that CAP does not have your six. With a reasonable amount of coverage you are at least assured that the insurance company will be paying to defend you in court for liability issues.

es_g0d

CAP assessments againt members for hull damage is pretty soft.  In my opinion, TOO soft in most cases.  If they want more than essentially a deductible from you, they have to prove gross negligence.  I carry no renters insurance for CAP aircraft, because I will not behave in a manner that is grossly negligent.  Save the premiums for other activities or rentals.

Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Timbo

Quote from: es_g0d on January 15, 2009, 11:05:37 PM
CAP assessments against members for hull damage is pretty soft.  In my opinion, TOO soft in most cases.  If they want more than essentially a deductible from you, they have to prove gross negligence.  I carry no renters insurance for CAP aircraft, because I will not behave in a manner that is grossly negligent.  Save the premiums for other activities or rentals.

-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

hmmm.....I pulled the hangar door shut and the whole thing fell off the track and right on the plane.  The Squadron ate the repair costs, which were minor.  I am just pointing out that things do happen, no matter how vigilant you are, things that may even be out of your control, but you should have known about it.  I had no idea the door would fall off, but I knew that the door had been sticking recently, and that it was over 50 years old.  Negligent......maybe, not sure. 

es_g0d

The point is that unless you, as an individual, are grossly negligent then the personal financial risks are relatively minor.  In my case, I don't find that they justify the purchase of insurance.

-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Timbo

caprr275

can anyone tell me a good insurance for both renting and CFI

es_g0d

C/Lt Col Bowden:

Your first priority is to get your 3rd diamond before you turn 21.

That said, shop around.  Call every provider you can find; advertisements can be located in most Aviation periodicals.  Of course there's always "the Google" as well.  Remember that you purchase insurance as a customer, and you want to weigh the value of the cost of the premiums versus the potential payout.  Consider also what assets you are protecting by the purchase of insurance.  Just taking a guess, I'm thinking you don't own any "major" assets outside of say, an automobile.  Worst case would be for you to have a judgement against you following an incident -- but if you have no assets to seize, how does it hurt you?  You declare bankruptcy and move on.  That's what its there for.

Now, say, if you have a sizable trust fund or a valuable piece of real estate you wish to protect with insurance, then by all means purchase a policy.  I wouldn't want my assets going to a third party after a judgment when I have a family to support, so when justified, I purchase insurance.

Clear as mud?  Insurance in aviation is not like automobile insurance, and as such its only compulsory in certain circumstances.  Consider all your options before you pay some premiums.

Now get to work you your Spaatz; Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott  (#1179)
www.CAP-ES.net
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

caprr275

.....  :'(  Robert L Bowden, 1st Lt, CAP   Former C/Lt Col #1944.... trust me there isnt a day that I dont think about that 3rd one.....

I do alot of flying and as a soon to be CFI/CFII/MEI  (in the next 3 months). I am 1 woried about the aircraft I am renting and 2 I want to cover myself with my students flying.

es_g0d thanks for the tips

es_g0d

Dangit, sorry bruthah, I had selective myopia reading your sig line... DOH!  And I fly with these eyes!

Fly safely, be a responsible instructor, and don't live scared.  The only people who REALLY win lawsuits are the lawyers...
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Chicago_Pilot

What are CAP pilots generally paying for renters insurance?  Any examples?

Is anyone also getting CFI coverage for a non-owned plane?  How much does that add?  Are there any special CAP considerations?

es_g0d

I buy CFI insurance at a cost of $300 per annum.  They didn't care about certificates, ratings, or experience.  Pretty much flat fee.  That's with Avemco.  I have reasons outside of CAP that justify this cost.

I don't purchase renter's insurance for CAP (see reasons above).
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net