Main Menu

CAP / USAF Logo

Started by KyCAP, December 07, 2008, 02:42:52 AM

KyCAP

So this logo isn't on the PAO web site... What's the status on using it for presentations, etc?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Pumbaa

Is that a real design?

EEEwwww FUGLY!!!

Pylon

There is no current CAP guidance on logo usage.  The only regulation dealing with logo use is horribly out-of-date and pre-dates the AF symbol, all of the command shields and the newer creations (like that new triangle thing).  National Headquarters and units at all echelons have pretty much been using any one of CAP's 8+ different logos/seals/shields as they like, whenever they like.  There is no style guide.

That having been said, the symbol in the above image is the "AF Symbol" and the Air Force has specific rules about how it can and cannot be used.  They retain the rights to that logo and therefore they can dictate how it can be used and paired with other logos.  The version you posted violates the Air Force's rules in several ways and, for that reason (because at least the AF thinks ahead), it should not be used.  Ever.  By anybody.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

KyCAP

Interestingly, that is from a slide deck from 2005 for briefings to the Pentagon on CAP's homeland security posture.  It was widely distributed to Wing level staff at all Wings.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

JAFO78

I think this logo is very cool. I tried to save it as my background on the computer but it was off center oh well.
JAFO

MIKE

Quote from: Pylon on December 07, 2008, 03:24:10 AM
There is no current CAP guidance on logo usage.  The only regulation dealing with logo use is horribly out-of-date and pre-dates the AF symbol, all of the command shields and the newer creations (like that new triangle thing).  National Headquarters and units at all echelons have pretty much been using any one of CAP's 8+ different logos/seals/shields as they like, whenever they like.  There is no style guide.

Uh... CAPR 900-2 does cover the AF-symbol.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on December 07, 2008, 04:19:04 AM
Uh... CAPR 900-2 does cover the AF-symbol.

Ah, well there you go.  Use it on perishable items. 

But the above posted version still isn't compliant.  That blue thing being cradled by the AF symbol is not the current CAP command shield (it's actually two versions outdated).  Even back when the "US Air Force Auxiliary" was on the scroll, the above graphic was still wrong (our shield isn't all blue).

Furthermore, the ratio of the size of the organizational emblem being cradled is way out of whack with the AF requirements.  So, CAPR 900-2 authorizing the AF symbol use on perishable items doesn't mean the above rendition is or ever was authorized. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JAFO78

I see even the administrators have different options. God I love America.  :clap:

8)
JAFO

Pumbaa

I wonder which of the moderators will lock the thread then.

Eclipse

The above logo is no longer authorized because that version of the MAJCOM was phased out earlier this year and is no longer approved for use.  The only two which may now be used (or worn), are the two with "CIVIL AIR PATROL" on the scroll - either the one with "U.S" in the field, or the one with the blank field.

The one with the blank field is currently approved for use by the USAF, and is featured on their website: 

http://www.af.mil/art/index.asp?galleryID=5187

Quote from: CAPR 900-2, Page 5
6. Authorized Use:
a. The symbol may be used without the logotype.
b. The Air Force symbol may be used to "cradle" some organizational
emblems, see Figure 4.
c. Only organizational emblems (shields or patches) may be placed in this configuration. No other artwork or logotype may be used.
d. Organizational emblems must remain in the proportion and relationship illustrated in Figure 4

It should be noted that the verbiage used in 900-2 is the identical verbiage used in the AFI's back when the USAF released the new symbol - the need for mentions of perishable items and phase-ins have long since passed.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of attention to proportions and color when people add their own or the CAP shield to the logo.  There is one in common use that has the CAP emblem much too large and with the wrong colors
(and horribly pixelated).

"That Others May Zoom"

KyCAP

I knew someone had it.

:) Thanks.  Click-save-paste...  Now in my power point deck.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Eclipse

If you visit that link above to the CAP gallery you will find versions at significantly higher resolutions.

"That Others May Zoom"

KyCAP

Thanks.  Grabbed AETC and Air University from that library too.  There is no CAP-USAF shield there.  Anyone have a "cleaned up" version of that?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

I need a CAP Great Lakes Region Shield as well.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2008, 04:57:33 PM
The above logo is no longer authorized because that version of the MAJCOM was phased out earlier this year and is no longer approved for use.  The only two which may now be used (or worn), are the two with "CIVIL AIR PATROL" on the scroll - either the one with "U.S" in the field, or the one with the blank field.

The one with the blank field is currently approved for use by the USAF, and is featured on their website: 

http://www.af.mil/art/index.asp?galleryID=5187

Quote from: CAPR 900-2, Page 5
6. Authorized Use:
a. The symbol may be used without the logotype.
b. The Air Force symbol may be used to "cradle" some organizational
emblems, see Figure 4.
c. Only organizational emblems (shields or patches) may be placed in this configuration. No other artwork or logotype may be used.
d. Organizational emblems must remain in the proportion and relationship illustrated in Figure 4

It should be noted that the verbiage used in 900-2 is the identical verbiage used in the AFI's back when the USAF released the new symbol - the need for mentions of perishable items and phase-ins have long since passed.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of attention to proportions and color when people add their own or the CAP shield to the logo.  There is one in common use that has the CAP emblem much too large and with the wrong colors
(and horribly pixelated).

Correct proportions for emblems cradled in the new Air Force emblem are available, but not through CAP. Off the top of my head (and without looking), I can't tell you exactly where it is, but a little digging off the main Air Force Web site should bring it up.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

KyCAP

He got that from the Air Foce site and the link is referenced above it.  I now have found all but the CAP Great Lakes Region and CAP-USAF shields.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Beachjumper85

That looks awful. Surely, someone could come up with a better logo than that!

Eclipse

Quote from: Beachjumper85 on January 11, 2009, 04:22:07 PM
That looks awful. Surely, someone could come up with a better logo than that!

Um...which looks awful?

The above is the standard display for every major command in the USAF...

"That Others May Zoom"

es_g0d

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR TO THE RESCUE!  That's what that logo brings to mind.  Its silliness is only overshadowed by the "space wings."

Forget about 60 years of heritage, we're the new Air Force.  Again.  We'll be another new Air Force tomorrow.

Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing