Request for official recognition based upon previous cadet achievement

Started by ascorbate, November 15, 2008, 05:36:30 PM

ascorbate

Have any Earhart or Spaatz awardees had their member's permanent record(s) updated based on:
http://level2.cap.gov/documents/2008_06_04_Officer_credit_for_cadet_service_.pdf

4 June 2008

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP COMMANDERS

SUBJECT: Interim Change Letter – CAPR 50-17, CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program and CAPR 280-2, Civil Air Patrol Aerospace Education Mission

1. The November 2007 National Executive Committee (NEC) voted to revise CAPR 50-17 to
incorporate senior member professional development program credit(s) for achievements that
were earned as a cadet. This change is retroactive for all senior members who earned certain
achievements as former cadets. These achievements are explained below.

2. Credit will be awarded to former cadets based on specific accomplishments. Those members
who earned the Earhart Award may receive the technician rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track. Members who have earned the Eaker Award may be awarded
completion of SLS, the CAP Senior Officer Course, and Level II. In addition, members who
earned the Spaatz Award may be awarded the senior rating in the Cadet Programs Officer
specialty training track and the Yeager Award.

3. Official recognition of these achievements will be awarded on an individual basis. Former
cadets who qualify for these awards should submit a written request, approved by their
commander, to HQ CAP/DP to have the member's permanent record updated to reflect the
appropriate equivalency as described above and issuance of the Yeager Award, if applicable. If
completion of required cadet accomplishments is not already a part of the member's permanent
record, then supporting documentation should be attached to the request.

4. This change letter will be incorporated into formal changes to CAPR 50-17 and CAPR 280-2.

If you were successful in having your CAP permanent record(s) updated , please share what you did and what you received in return?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

AlphaSigOU

I got the bump up to 1st Lt (actually a grade reinstatement but TIG didn't carry over) with my Earhart award when I got back into CAP after a 17-year hiatus in 2005. All the other requirements I did the old fashioned way (give up a weekend or slog throug a correspondence course). I did get my Mitchell and Earhart recorded in eServices after scanning a copy of the certificates and sending it to NHQ CAP.

I have processed cadet professional development credit to a few senior members in our squadron who qualified under the new criteria described above. Essentially you prepare a memorandum for approval by the commander like this (personal information redacted for privacy):

QuoteMEMORANDUM FOR NHQ CAP/DP
SWR-TX-390/CC
SWR-TX-390/CDS
SWR-TX-390/DA
SUBJECT:  REQUEST FOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CREDIT

1. Per CAPR 50-17, paragraph 3, amended 4 June 08, Capt [xxxx] CAPID [redacted]  is
submitting a written request, to NHQ CAP/DP, through the squadron chain of command, requesting
approval by the squadron commander for award to this member of Level II of the CAP Senior
Member Professional Development Program and a Senior rating in Cadet Programs, as well as
completion of the Brig Gen Chuck Yeager Award (AEPSM). Attached is the Member Search Report
for Capt [xxxx] from CAP eServices.

2. Justification for this request is CAPR 50-17, amended 4 June 08, whereas CAP senior members who
earned the Gen. Carl A. Spaatz Award may be awarded Level II and the senior level in Cadet
Programs, as well as the Yeager Award. This member received Spaatz Award # [redacted] and
such is currently reflected on [xxx] national record file.

//SIGNED//

CHARLES E. CORWAY, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer

Attachments:

1. Member Search Report from eServices – Capt [xxxx]

cc:
Capt [xxxx]
Personnel File

As soon as NHQ CAP receives the information via fax or email, they usually update the record quickly (within a day or two).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ascorbate

My squadron commander has forwarded along a request or two or three with no results thus far!

Thanx AGAIN for your assistance!

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ascorbate on November 15, 2008, 05:58:59 PM
My squadron commander has forwarded along a request or two or three with no results thus far!

Thanx AGAIN for your assistance!

All that's required is squadron commander certification on the request, unless wing or region policy dictates otherwise. Make sure to follow up after the request is submitted; NHQ has been known to lose paperwork!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ascorbate

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 15, 2008, 06:07:18 PM
All that's required is squadron commander certification on the request, unless wing or region policy dictates otherwise. Make sure to follow up after the request is submitted; NHQ has been known to lose paperwork!

I relying on my squadron commander to "do what he says" and "says what he does."

Following up without stepping on too many group, wing and region toes is probably the next best step!

Cecil DP

Quote from: ascorbate on November 15, 2008, 06:17:39 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 15, 2008, 06:07:18 PM

I relying on my squadron commander to "do what he says" and "says what he does."

Following up without stepping on too many group, wing and region toes is probably the next best step!

The information goes directly to National HQ. So if he's sending them through Group or Wing it will not be processed.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

arajca

I though about it for about .025 millisec. I have my Earhart (probably could have my Eaker, if I wanted).

I had already completed Level IV, earned a SR CP rating, completed the Yeager, and SOS, so this was of no benefit to me.

Also, I do not agree with the decision.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: arajca on November 15, 2008, 07:02:09 PM
I though about it for about .025 millisec. I have my Earhart (probably could have my Eaker, if I wanted).

I had already completed Level IV, earned a SR CP rating, completed the Yeager, and SOS, so this was of no benefit to me.

Also, I do not agree with the decision.

Agree with ya here; I had already completed all the requirements when that decision was reached, and only lack attendance at RSC or getting off my duff to continue studying SOS to earn Level IV, so it didn't apply to me.

Too early to tell if it will increase transitions from the cadink to the dark side.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 15, 2008, 10:28:20 PM
Too early to tell if it will increase transitions from the cadink to the dark side.

Nope - won't make a bit of difference.

The only result will be award and level trolling by seniors who otherwise can't be bothered to complete the PD the right way.

I do not agree that a Spaatz cadet = Senior CPO, for example.  As a point, Spaatz cadets have no requirement to be involved in leadership roles within the CP, seniors do.  Look around at all the one-(encampment) hit-wonder diamonds to see if they are ready for the CPO rating.

The rest is a flavor of that.

The CP may better prepare you to be a senior member, it does not equal completion of the work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pingree1492

I also agree.   If this had been in effect when I made the transition to the Dark Side, I certainly wouldn't have been bothered to attend some of the courses I did.  Yes, SLS and the like was quite a bit repetitive and tedious at times, but I still got something out of the experience.  Also, there are many training opportunities (TLC really stands out in my mind) that I would have missed had I already had the Senior Rating in Cadet Programs. 

I also think that this new policy will have no effect (or a very, very marginal) effect on the number of Cadet-to-Senior transitions that occur.  I would wager that for the majority of cadets that would consider making the transition, external factors play a larger role in discontinuing membership than anything else.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)