Awarding the EMT badge

Started by BIG Lt, October 21, 2008, 12:19:20 PM

BIG Lt

I've searched the boards and knowledge base but I cannot find the Reg or the form for awarding the EMT badge. Can someone point me in the right direction?

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

I did a cursory check and didn't find it either, but its there somewhere.

The key is that whatever level you believe is appropriate has to be approved by the Wing as being equal to the level of EMT mojo the member has, and that varies between states.

"That Others May Zoom"

wingnut55

Check the Regs

Upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent, the "Star of Life" patch meeting the requirements in CAPM 39-1 (embroidered in white cotton thread) may be worn on the CAP uniform. The patch may be awarded or purchased from a number of sources.   

Table 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

5 Specialty Insignia (Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team)
Embroidered in white cotton thread
Centered ½-inch above the cloth "Civil Air Patrol" tape worn over the left breast pocket of BDUs, field uniform and BDU field jacket, 1/2-inch below aviation badge.

NOTES:
1. Any cloth patch displaying the blue six-sided cross referred to as the "Star of Life" awarded by a certifying/licensing agency upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent. Patch will be removed when no longer current or when certifications are withdrawn

It is one of the few Insignia that the member must stay current, And of course all of us "FORMER" Paramedics know that once your Paramedic/EMT Certification expires!!! You are no longer an EMT/Paramedic and you must remove the patch,badge, Tatoo

Eclipse

I don't believe the pocket patch is still authorized.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: wingnut55 on October 21, 2008, 02:03:15 PM
Check the Regs

Upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent, the "Star of Life" patch meeting the requirements in CAPM 39-1 (embroidered in white cotton thread) may be worn on the CAP uniform. The patch may be awarded or purchased from a number of sources.   

Table 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.

5 Specialty Insignia (Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team)
Embroidered in white cotton thread
Centered ½-inch above the cloth "Civil Air Patrol" tape worn over the left breast pocket of BDUs, field uniform and BDU field jacket, 1/2-inch below aviation badge.

NOTES:
1. Any cloth patch displaying the blue six-sided cross referred to as the "Star of Life" awarded by a certifying/licensing agency upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent. Patch will be removed when no longer current or when certifications are withdrawn

It is one of the few Insignia that the member must stay current, And of course all of us "FORMER" Paramedics know that once your Paramedic/EMT Certification expires!!! You are no longer an EMT/Paramedic and you must remove the patch,badge, Tatoo
Check the current regs. The Star of Life patch is no longer authorized. The current note 1 to table 6-4 says
QuoteAny nationally recognized patch awarded by a certifying agency (Heart Association, American Red
Cross, etc.) upon completion of a CPR training course. Patch will be removed when no longer
current.
No mention of the SoL patch.

IceNine

There is no form.

Put a copy of your EMT License in your file.

And as always it requires your commander's approval.  I would slap together a 2A and throw that in your file as well.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

wingnut55

39-1 Table 6-4, column 5 (Page 111)

5 Specialty Insignia
(Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team)
embroidered in white cotton thread centered 1/2-inch above
the cloth "Civil Air Patrol" tape worn over the left breast pocket of BDU,
field uniform and BDU or dark blue field jacket, 1/2 inch below aviation badge.
EXCEPTION: chaplain
insignia is worn 1/2 inch
above the aviation badge.

The CAP EMT Badge is a Tiny version of the National EMT Badge worn by EMTs in Fire dept. and rescue squads.

lordmonar

If in doubt...you can always do a form 2a.

In theory you should have a 2a for just about every ribbon, device, badge that you wear.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Never a bad idea, though some would argue that some badges are self-actualizing by the regulation, having paper never hurt anyone, especially when they take time away from CAP and then rejoin.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Even with "self-actualizing" (and I assume that you mean awards that do not require "approval" from someone) still need to be documented.

Talke Recruiting....you get your 7 people...you get your ribbon...but how do you document it.

Same thing with pilot wings....get your lincens...get your form 5.....but what do you do...just shove your form 5 in your record?  What about when you get your senior/master rating?  A photo copy of your pilots's log?

I am all for keeping records simple.

Use the form 2as to document awards, specialty track levels, and badges.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

Off the top of my head, I don't know of anything that's "self-actualizing." Everything requires a 2a. Technically, everything should be approved at least at wing level unless stated as higher or delegated lower. (All powers diverge from the lowest ranking corp officer in the chain of command). For practical purposes you need at least a Sq CC signature on it though.

That's find ribbons, CAC, NCSA, etc.

ALL ES related badges (including pilot ratings) must be on a 2a & are tracked on eServices. Why all other badges and ribbons are not, don't ask me, that thing is still evolving. Completing the justification for something doesn't make it automatic though, it still has to be handed down from above.

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on October 21, 2008, 05:26:16 PM
ALL ES related badges (including pilot ratings) must be on a 2a & are tracked on eServices. Why all other badges and ribbons are not, don't ask me, that thing is still evolving. Completing the justification for something doesn't make it automatic though, it still has to be handed down from above.

First, you're assuming that the wing uses eServices for ES ratings, many still do not.

Second, one could argue that the Specialty Track badges self-actualize on posting at NHQ, the GT badge self-actualizes upon completion of certain NESA tracks (to the consternation of many Wing ES people), and the pilots wings do, in fact, self-actualize.

In fact, based on SOP, if not regulation, a lot of the awards on the 2a are approved outside the Unit's chain - Encampment, most ES decorations, IACE, DR, most of them, actually.

There's no issue or problem doing a 2a to substantiate or reinforce the award, but I would also argue they aren't required.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Wings can do what they want to administer their personnel internally, but things are not official unless posted to national.

I would hope that those badges are in fact not "self-actualizing," but rather someone squared away is submitting paperwork for you w/o troubling you about it.

As a commander, I would want: a) to document the achievements of my people, and b) to have the opportunity to present that badge to the person in recognition of their service, not just have them show up with it on cause they completed the requirements & decided to buy the thing.

I don't know about your SOP, but I've seen more of a mixed bag. I've seen encampment ribbons done en mass by PA from wing level, and I've seen cadets sent home with a certificate & the need to have their Sq CC sign a 2a with that attached. Find & DR ribbons absolutely are done at unit. We're not as a mission staff filling out 2a's for people in the middle or even shut down of our op. You go back to your unit and submit a 2a with the mission number, you can list a ref (IC/GBD/AOBD) as necessary. Stuff like IACE/NCSA, etc those are national level programs. They can and should be awarded at national level. If they come back w/o that paperwork, then the Sq CC should sign a 2a.

I say they (2a's) are required, but in practice that isn't followed cause there is no tracking of who has what, and so no enforcement is possible.

Stonewall

Minus all the admin crap-o-la that you guys are discussing, make sure if one of your members earns a badge, any badge, you present it to them.

I had cadets earn the their EMT certification and during the next meeting or FTX, we'd pin it on their chest.  This goes especially for the GTM badges because we'd usually finish up their qualification in the field and we'd have an end-of-exercise awards ceremony.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Form 2a completed with copy of state cert stapled to the form.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

Quote from: Stonewall on October 24, 2008, 03:59:42 PM
Minus all the admin crap-o-la that you guys are discussing, make sure if one of your members earns a badge, any badge, you present it to them.

I had cadets earn the their EMT certification and during the next meeting or FTX, we'd pin it on their chest.  This goes especially for the GTM badges because we'd usually finish up their qualification in the field and we'd have an end-of-exercise awards ceremony.

This is why I'm emphasizing the "admin crap-o-la." Not that it needs to be any big thing. In most cases, a 2a from the commander is all you need for most awards we're talking about here. Enforcing that step causes members not to do the PX ranger thing & go buy stuff they think they deserve (and probably do) cause they've decided they met the qualifications. If they have to get a signature, that alerts me to the opportunity to present it publicly, which is as much about morale/motivation of everyone else as it is the guy getting it.

EMT-83

I believe it's pronounced "CAP-o-la"

CadetProgramGuy

CAP-Crap (thats what I call it.....)

I did a 2a, copy of my EMT card, Copy of my CPR, and furnished my own EMT Badge to the commander.

DNall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on October 29, 2008, 12:52:26 PM
I did a 2a, copy of my EMT card, Copy of my CPR, and furnished my own EMT Badge to the commander.
^That's perfect.

And it's: Bull-CAP!