CAPF 48 - Religious Interview Guide

Started by A.Member, October 18, 2008, 01:20:00 AM

A.Member

Came across an old version of this form in a binder I have.  Wasn't sure of it's purpose - I'd never heard of it before.  So, I looked it up on the NHQ site and it's still an active form.  I checked knowledge base.  Did a search here.  I can find no info on this form nor I can I determine any practical use for the form.  Can anyone provide some insight?  Thanks.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Looks to me like something a Chaplain would use to build a data base of his members' religious preferences and needs.

However I can't imagine actually doing that, or the need.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Look in the Chaplain's Guides to see what they say.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

There is an updated version of the Religious Interview Guide - Form 48

From the CAPP 221:

The Chaplain Services Advisory Committee has directed that each unit chaplain will conduct a confidential interview with every senior and cadet member of the unit. These interviews are recorded on CAP Form 48, Religious Interview Guide (RIG). A newly assigned chaplain will have to conduct interviews with each person in the unit. From that point on, the chaplain will interview new unit members as soon as possible after their CAP membership is approved.

Once completed, a RIG becomes confidential information. This means the interview is conducted in a manner that reasonably prevents outsiders from overhearing the interview. The RIG cards are stored in a locked container to which only the chaplain has access. The chaplain will not reveal any of the contents unless required by law to do so.

These legal limits to confidentiality are normally specified in law, but occasionally they are contained in legal opinions (such as the "duty to warn" delineated in TarasoffJ. The only exception to this rule is when the individual concerned gives written permission to reveal the contents of the card.

When the chaplain leaves the unit, the RIG cards are shredded and completely destroyed. Similarly, when that unit member leaves the unit, the chaplain shreds and completely destroys that member's RIG card (in front of the member, if possible). The Religious Interview Guide is designed to open a pastoral relationship between a chaplain and a unit member. It would be inappropriate, therefore, to leave them behind when that specific relationship is severed.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Major Carrales

It just looks like a survey to assist Chaplains in being sensative to the spiritiual tenor of a unit.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol057

OK, I can understand about the Chaplain doing interviews of the members of his/her unit. I can even understand about the F48s. But, I've got a dumb question here.  What about a unit that has more than 1 Chaplain?  I have 2 Chaplains in my unit. Does each Chaplain have to do their own interviews and RIGs? Or can they collaborate and only fill out 1 set of cards?  One of my Chaplains works mainly with the cadets, occasionally interacts with the seniors, the other one I'm still trying to figure out.  He doesn't come to the cadet meetings, really has no interaction with the cadets.  In fact, doesn't really have much interaction with the senior members either.

Chappie

Quote from: LtCol057 on October 19, 2008, 06:31:27 PM
OK, I can understand about the Chaplain doing interviews of the members of his/her unit. I can even understand about the F48s. But, I've got a dumb question here.  What about a unit that has more than 1 Chaplain?  I have 2 Chaplains in my unit. Does each Chaplain have to do their own interviews and RIGs? Or can they collaborate and only fill out 1 set of cards?  One of my Chaplains works mainly with the cadets, occasionally interacts with the seniors, the other one I'm still trying to figure out.  He doesn't come to the cadet meetings, really has no interaction with the cadets.  In fact, doesn't really have much interaction with the senior members either.

Since the regs require the chaplain to destroy the F48s when he moves to another unit, I would say in keeping with the spirit of the reg, that both chaplains have their own set...so that each one could have a better knowledge of those members that they serve.  Collaboration would violate the spirit of the reg (i.e. sharing of the info with successor).  It bugs me when I hear of chaplains not being active in the life of a squadron and just showing up to conduct Character Development. 

I served in a squadron where there were two of us Chaplains....I interacted with the cadets on a regular basis and the other chaplain was more comfortable with the seniors -- he being a pilot and a ground team leader.  Not a problem...we both would visit the other side of the house so that all the members knew who we were and felt comfortable with us.  It worked out great.  When I moved to another assignment in CAP, the squadron was fortunate that a Character Development Instructor had been recruited/trained/mentored who took on the responsibility of teaching CD ... and the Chaplain visited with the cadets and then worked with the Senior Members.

RiverAux

Maybe the chaplain has done with the cadets, but I've never heard of this being done with seniors in my area. 

Grumpy

A.Member

Quote from: Chappie on October 19, 2008, 05:55:33 AM

From the CAPP 221:

The Chaplain Services Advisory Committee has directed that each unit chaplain will conduct a confidential interview with every senior and cadet member of the unit. These interviews are recorded on CAP Form 48, Religious Interview Guide (RIG). A newly assigned chaplain will have to conduct interviews with each person in the unit. From that point on, the chaplain will interview new unit members as soon as possible after their CAP membership is approved.

Once completed, a RIG becomes confidential information. This means the interview is conducted in a manner that reasonably prevents outsiders from overhearing the interview. The RIG cards are stored in a locked container to which only the chaplain has access. The chaplain will not reveal any of the contents unless required by law to do so.

These legal limits to confidentiality are normally specified in law, but occasionally they are contained in legal opinions (such as the "duty to warn" delineated in TarasoffJ. The only exception to this rule is when the individual concerned gives written permission to reveal the contents of the card.

When the chaplain leaves the unit, the RIG cards are shredded and completely destroyed. Similarly, when that unit member leaves the unit, the chaplain shreds and completely destroys that member's RIG card (in front of the member, if possible). The Religious Interview Guide is designed to open a pastoral relationship between a chaplain and a unit member. It would be inappropriate, therefore, to leave them behind when that specific relationship is severed.

Thanks.  As I mentioned previously, I'd never heard of this before.  To be honest, given the explanation, I'm still not all that comfortable with this process.  I do not see how it relates to performing our mission and I struggle to see any real positive value in obtaining this information.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Chappie

Quote from: A.Member on October 20, 2008, 04:28:31 PM
Quote from: Chappie on October 19, 2008, 05:55:33 AM

From the CAPP 221:

Thanks.  As I mentioned previously, I'd never heard of this before.  To be honest, given the explanation, I'm still not all that comfortable with this process.  I do not see how it relates to performing our mission and I struggle to see any real positive value in obtaining this information.

It is voluntary for the member -- they can choose whether they want to our not.  It may not be relevant to performing your mission...but it is to ours.  I have found this useful...because it gives me some information that I can use in building relationships with the member and his/her family.   The chaplain service is tasked with providing service to not only the member...but to the member's family as well.  I have had to use some of that information (as to name of pastor/priest/rabbi..etc) when there has been an injury or a death.  "Pastoral care" is based on a relationship...and it helps to know more about a person so that we can provide an effective service.  Having some information is handy when at a squadron function (i.e. banquet, awards ceremony, etc) the chaplain can greet the family and use their name Mr and Mrs Joe and Josephine Smith rather than Mr and Mrs parent of Cadet.

The practice is admittedly "hit and miss" depending on the chaplain.  Often a chaplain has a very good memory and in his discussions with a member has asked enough questions that he or she has adequate information and does not feel the need to conduct an "interview" and fill out a card.