Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development Credit

Started by Capt Rivera, October 02, 2008, 07:33:24 PM

Capt Rivera

I'm fairly certain that at some point in the last two years I saw a letter from NHQ authorizing cadets to receive credit for attending Senior Member Professional Development courses.

I wanted guidance/clarification as I don't have the gift of photographic memory and cant find anything that says this.

I can find that they can attend space permitting but can not receive credit. Didn't that change to allow for credit?

[I'm not at all concerned with the so called equivalences of AWARD Name = blabla... etc...

If Cadet whoever attends SLS as a cadet, turns 18 or 21, cant they receive credit for having attended the course?

Did I dream this? Did it change and get reverted? Did it change and the KB was not notified  ::), etc?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: RiveraJ on October 02, 2008, 07:33:24 PM
If Cadet whoever attends SLS as a cadet, turns 18 or 21, cant they receive credit for having attended the course?

No.   These are Senior programs.  The point of the SLS & CLC is to provide senior members staff officers with current information at a time when their staff posting actually needs the information (the fact that many treat them as a last-minute ticket punch not withstanding). The average cadet would have no use for the information for years, and little to contribute to the new discussion based curriculum.

The TLC, because of its nature is barred from cadet participation.

What you are likely referring to is senior members who can get senior-program credit for advanced  achievements in the cadet program.

Quote from: CAP KB
See below CAP/CC MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP COMMANDERS  4 June 2008
SUBJECT:  Interim Change Letter – CAPR 50-17, CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program and CAPR 280-2, Civil Air Patrol Aerospace Education Mission

1. The November 2007 National Executive Committee (NEC) voted to revise CAPR 50-17 to incorporate senior member professional development program credit(s) for achievements that were earned as a cadet. This change is retroactive for all senior members who earned certain achievements as former cadets. These achievements are explained below.
2. Credit will be awarded to former cadets based on specific accomplishments. Those members who earned the Earhart Award may receive the technician rating in the Cadet Programs Officer specialty training track. Members who have earned the Eaker Award may be awarded completion of SLS, the CAP Senior Officer Course, and Level II. In addition, members who earned the Spaatz Award may be awarded the senior rating in the Cadet Programs Officer specialty training track and the Yeager Award.
3. Official recognition of these achievements will be awarded on an individual basis. Former cadets who qualify for these awards should submit a written request, approved by their commander, to HQ CAP/DP to have the member's permanent record updated to reflect the appropriate equivalency as described above and issuance of the Yeager Award, if applicable. If completion of required cadet accomplishments is not already a part of the member's permanent record, then supporting documentation should be attached to the request.
4. This change letter will be incorporated into formal changes to CAPR 50-17 and CAPR 280-2.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

no. not at all what I was referring to. And to some cadets it could be pertinent. A cadet who will transition at the age of 18 or 21 who is currently 17 or 20.

The requirements for SLS are such that you could join as a Senior Member, just got your ID CARD and attend.

QuotePrerequisites for attendance are completion of Level I and enrollment in one or more specialty tracks.

All of which can be done within a few ours...

I'm referring to a letter that probably came down from the last CAPNHQ CC...

It addressed Cadets being able to receive credit for attending...
[Lets not discuss SHOULD they... I want to be sure that they can/can't...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

LtCol Hooligan

This is from a KB updated 9/17/08

CAPR 50-17
2-7. Qualification Criteria and Application Procedures for Senior Member Professional Development Activities.
a. CAP National Headquarters and CAP regions and wings annually sponsor a variety of schools and activities designed to increase the proficiency of senior members. The Civil Air Patrol News announces general information pertaining to schools and activities. Other information reaches members via the radio net (see CAPR 100-1, Vol I, Communications), CAP web pages, and newsletters. The Professional Development Program is designed to prepare senior members for immediate duty. Therefore, while cadets in good standing who meet the prerequisites may attend a professional development activity, space permitting, they will not receive credit for attendance as a senior member.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
http://www.ndcap.us

Eclipse

Per the a KB article updated on 17 Sept, Cadets may attend SLS/CLC or RSC, but do not get credit.
(I'd link, but for some reason Tiny URL's don't work on the KB, and the actual links break this sites display - search foro "cadet SLS").

They can take the CAPSOC, and get credit after they transition by resubmitting it to NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Thanks for the quotes. Like I said I was aware of those answers. I was hoping someone remembered the same as I did and maybe saved the original letter... but who knows.... maybe I dreamed it up....    :-\
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander