Aviation Badge on Aviator Shirt: Mini or Regular Size?

Started by dbarbee, October 02, 2008, 06:03:00 AM

dbarbee

CAPR 39-1 Table 6-3 says: "Either miniature or regular size badges may be worn."

My question is, which size do most members wear on the Aviator Shirt, the miniature or the regular size?

I'm guessing the miniature badges are worn when you also wear a specialty badge and ribbons, and the regular size is normally worn when you don't wear a specialty badge and/or ribbons. Is this correct?
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region

SJFedor

it's really user discretion either way, just that if you're wearing multiple badges, they all need to be the same size (mini to mini, regular to regular) and don't mix the two.

i personally think the regular ones on the shirt look a little funny and make me look more like an airline pilot, esp. without ribbons on, but then again, i don't wear ribbons on my service dress shirts.

YMMV.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Snake Doctor

An unofficial rule of thumb is to do what the USAF does. 
On blues shirts, officers wear miniature badges no ribbons. With NCO's ribbons
it's pretty much with.  Personally, I prefer the miniature on shirts, both AF blues and the aviator shirt.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

IceNine

^ditto.

GT and other badges don't look as bad, but the full size wings are bohemith, except on the jacket.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Pylon

Miniature on the aviation or blues shirts.  Full size for the service dress coat.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

I have never seen Miniature GT badges on anybody, (in my admittedly small sphere of influence) when worn with mini wings.  Folks seem to be content with the "regular size" GT badges.  I doubt most even know they exist.
I didn't either, until about a year ago.  Here they are:
small GT
small Senior GT (GTL)
Small Master GT (GBD)

A.Member

Quote from: Snake Doctor on October 02, 2008, 11:15:49 AM
An unofficial rule of thumb is to do what the USAF does. 
On blues shirts, officers wear miniature badges no ribbons.
Exactly!    :clap:   

And, as mentioned, wear the large one on the service coat (with ribbons).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

FlyingTerp

Quote from: tedda on October 02, 2008, 04:16:03 PM
I have never seen Miniature GT badges on anybody, (in my admittedly small sphere of influence) when worn with mini wings.  Folks seem to be content with the "regular size" GT badges.  I doubt most even know they exist.
I didn't either, until about a year ago.  Here they are:
small GT
small Senior GT (GTL)
Small Master GT (GBD)

I wear a mini GT badge on my blues shirt.  It is very small - almost like a large lapel pin.  I have full size GT badges from both Hock and Vanguard.  The one from Hock is slightly larger.  Anyone else notice that?

Pylon

The miniature sized GT badge would be most appropriate, IMO, for mess dress wear.

FWIW, the AF has three sizes for many badges: full, 3/4-size and Mini/Half-size.  The full for service dress, the 3/4-size for shirts, and miniature for mess dress.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on October 02, 2008, 05:00:20 PMFWIW, the AF has three sizes for many badges: full, 3/4-size and Mini/Half-size.  The full for service dress, the 3/4-size for shirts, and miniature for mess dress.

Interesting. The 3/4 or "midsize"  was supposed to replace the miniature. Reason given was that the detail on the mini made it impossible to tell what the badge actually was.

But there are still miniatures on the Vanguard website. They don't seem to be specialty badges, but wings, fire/police, missile and a few other different types. All the ones that represent AFSC's or are similar in configuration (such as jump wings) all seem to be only available in midsize.

DNall

As everyone already said, small on shirts (hence they used to be called shirt wings) and large on the service dress/CSU jacket. Anything else looks dumb, but you're free under regs to look dumb if you want.

As for the GT badge, it's real weird. I also have a mini master GT badge for my blues shirt, and it does look tiny. The issue is the badge itself is small by comparison to AF specialty badges & so it looks messed up when reduced. The regular size GT badge and mini wings look right together, but that's not authorized. It'd have been better if they made a larger (wider wreath) GT badge & called it the full-size for the service coat than making the micro thing we have now.

dbarbee

Thanks for the responses everyone! I ordered the mini wings, so it sounds like I did Ok.
Daniel Barbee 2d Lt
CAP Pilot / TMP / MS / MO / MP (Trainee)
Council Oak Senior Squadron Tulsa, OK-125
Okahoma Wing / Southwest Region