Main Menu

Encampment Food

Started by Dutchboy, February 08, 2006, 06:19:58 PM

FlyTiger77

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 14, 2010, 03:30:50 AM
Quote from: Pylon on November 14, 2010, 03:12:04 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on May 27, 2010, 09:28:31 PM
They say that at encampment, the food's mighty fine!

...A roll fell off the table, and killed a friend of mine.   ;)
Yes, somebody got it!
A chicken jumped off the table and started marking time!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Spaceman3750

Oh yeah... My chicken jumped off the table and started marking time >:D.

GTCommando

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 14, 2010, 03:42:36 AM

Oh yeah... My chicken jumped off the table and started marking time >:D.

They say that at encampment, the meat is mighty fine...last night we had ten puppies, this mornin' only nine.  ;)
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

GTM SGT Frazier

The beds are mighty fine, how the heck should i know ive never slept in mine.

Cool Mace

Quote from: captmorgan on March 04, 2010, 02:59:29 AM
The worst we have had was breakfast pizza the entire week!! Every breakfast.

Breakfast pizza: Soggy dough patty with nasty cheese topped with sausage looking stuff....
(BUMP?)

I loved the breaskfest pizza! That's the only thing I look forward to at encampment anymore...
Ok not really. But I don't mind that stuff.

I've never had bad food at encampments. Guess I've just been lucky in the past 10 years?
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

mclarke

Quote from: GTM SGT Frazier on November 28, 2010, 11:04:01 PM
The beds are mighty fine, how the heck should i know ive never slept in mine.

They say that the toilets are mighty fine. You flush em down at 7 and they come back up at 9.

CadetHarry

Ahhhhh Tri Wing Encampment 2011 I seem to actually miss the chow even though it was disgusting I miss the line into chow with the Chief screaming at us "90 degrees why are you looking around!!!!!"

CadetHarry

Quote from: Spike on March 04, 2010, 04:20:27 PM
^ What happens is that should a person drink a large amount of milk and then do strenuous activity in a hot environment the milk will become angry and cause your stomach to ache. 

I think it may be a "myth", but have heard and seen milk being off limits to military members some places.  I am no Doctor, so I really do not know the true reasons behind it.  Just my assumptions.

Medically it is the combination of Milk and Meat with a lil heat is what upsets the stomach

Eclipse

Excessive consumption of dairy is also an issue.

There's a 79 in my wing that involves finding a cadet in the bathroom vomiting and sick.  After an evening of re-hydration and
similar treatment for an upset stomach, it was discovered that he had consumed what was described as "a significant quantity of cottage cheese"...

It is superficially funny, but also a failure of his flight staff as apparently no one was monitoring what he was eating.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I'm not so sure about that, the military has served tons of creamed beef in one form or another...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 09, 2011, 03:24:19 AM
I'm not so sure about that, the military has served tons of creamed beef in one form or another...

Heh - which probably contained neither cream nor beef.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk_Girl

Creamed beef? or Corned beef?

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 03:28:22 AM

Heh - which probably contained neither cream nor beef.

And your vast military experience tells you this?

Small newsflash for ya, there are some really good cooks in the military.  And making "good" SOS is almost an art that is mastered by few.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk_Girl on July 09, 2011, 03:32:12 AM

Creamed beef as in creamed chipped beef...yes.  Had plenty of that on dry/hard toast, etc.   :-\

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: JC004 on July 09, 2011, 04:22:00 AM
Quote from: Hawk_Girl on July 09, 2011, 03:32:12 AM

Creamed beef as in creamed chipped beef...yes.  Had plenty of that on dry/hard toast, etc.   :-\

Sounds..... Interesting. I can honestly say that I have never eaten that.

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

JC004

It's good and pretty widely available, although probably most common in the east.  I have also seen it in bags at grocery stores - in the section that has the precooked refrigerated foods like pre-made macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes - usually more near the breakfast things.  It is also available frozen.  It is good on toast or fried potatoes.  Also helps with dry toast that has been sitting on a warmer at your military food facility for a while.  I've seen it served on biscuits at military facilities.  Never had that elsewhere, but I guess an alternative to biscuits and gravy.  That's basically what it is, but has beef in it.

edit: I just found this.  It's an army recipe dating to 1910 for it:   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Chipped_beef_on_toast

PHall

SOS on toasted English Muffins is a nice change. And it's pretty good too!

bosshawk

When I was on AD, a lot of SOS was made using hamburger instead of creamed Chipped beef.  In fact, I don't think that I ever had SOS in the Army that wasn't made with hamburger: I have made it at home with the creamed chipped variety.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ol'fido

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but nothing turns the stomach like 35 straight days of T-Rat Corned Beef Hash for breakfast(Cobra Gold '89, Phitsanoluk, Thailand).
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AlphaSigOU

The SOS recipe I made when I was a cook in the Air Force (DEATH FROM WITHIN!!!) had ground beef as one of the ingredients. Really easy to make; make up the roux (flour and butter), then add milk, ground beef, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until thickened and serve on biscuits, toast or on everything. If you prefer chipped beef instead of ground, you can add chopped dried beef.

Unfortunately, the SOS served at the PDR (Pacific Dining Room, the chow hall here on Kwaj) sucks.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040