Let's upgrade the Scanner

Started by Smithsonia, September 25, 2008, 04:26:47 PM

Smithsonia

Right now scanner is the low man on the aircrew. I'm a pilot (not a CAP pilot, I'm still working my way through the program) I'm also a mission observer. I think that the current status of scanner as a trainee to MO is the wrong way to look at that position.

I'm assembling some great tools both optical and photo for the position. For instance, I've found that TV choppers use a rig inside their helicopters to take interior pictures of the reporter in the backseat. It is an inexpensive ($90-150) set up using suction cups. I think we can adapt this rig for the scanner's window and mount a binocular package. I know folks talk about binos make you sick. Using a large, but not stabilized Cellestron Binocular we flew around last week and I sat in back. We did lots of turns, had some bumps, I was behind the bino, I didn't feel ill. I saw much. (Cellestron 20X $100-$200)

At 20X you can see people, tell the color of their clothes, discriminate as to their comparative size, sometimes tell male from female. Cars are easy to ID. Models and years, new or old, things like that. The problem with that big binocular is holding it for long periods of time. The 7lbs gets heavier by the minute. That means as you get tired, it gets goofy to spot things. BUT<This TV helicopter suction cup on the scanner window with placement above that can be easily swung into position -- seems to have promise. The rubber of the suction cups keeps it rather steady. Once your hands are on the body of the binocular it settles right down. So you let the camera/bino rig do the heavy lifting, so to speak.

I'm not talking about looking at everything through this binocular-setup. Just having it ready to swing into action when you see something that looks interesting. Then having the camera with a telephoto lens ready to go. If I get a good picture I can blow it up to about 30-40 x on the lap top computer screen. I know people will ask why don't I use a bigger telephoto, or optical piece. Beyond 20X (30-40X) everything gets way too jiggly. So focal distance of 20X in a Cessna 182 works best. This gives me rich detail and much information. I'll be working my way through this setup over the next several weeks and report my findings in this thread. Stay tuned.

Scanners may have the action seat soon. It's tricky because if this works you'll need to spend $500-1500. BUT, without using up batteries (as in the stabilized binos with 10-14 x power which doesn't give you enough optical resolution at 1000ft agl) and buying a $300K gyro unit... I think I may have a feasible solution, for everyday, every mission use.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

Scanners have always been under-recognized by CAP even though they are the only people in the plane absolutely dedicated to looking for our targets, taking our photographs, etc. 

Interesting idea for equipment.