Main Menu

SIMS NEWBIE

Started by Dutchboy, September 25, 2008, 08:21:14 AM

Dutchboy

Here is a scenario, If SIMS is running on a computer(sims),  can that folder that sims site in be put on a flash drive with out having to create a "backup" and use it on another computer?  Or would sims need to sit on the flash drive and plug it in when you use it on computer one or two?

RickFranz

That's a good question.  I have used a flash drive to move/transport data from one computer to another, but I always loaded the SIMS program on to that other computer first.  I have not tried to move everything at once.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Phil Hirons, Jr.

As SIMS is a 2 part application it would be possible to carry the back end (data) part on a flash drive and have the front end installed on 2 different machines. You would install SIMS on both and then use the options to re-point the front end to the flash drive.

That said, I would NOT recommend it. This is based on a lot of Access experience, including manning the support line a MS for it. Access files (nothing to do with SIMS) can corrupt fairly easily. Removing the drive without "removing" it from Windows could easily do it.  

I imagine you are looking to allow multiple people to work on SIMS. You could install it on both and use the flash drive to move the data file between them. This would make sure only 1 person has control of the file at a time.