Long-Sleeve or Short-sleeve under SDU?

Started by AvroArrow, September 20, 2008, 01:41:39 AM

AvroArrow

I couldn't think of the "proper" tags in the KB to find an answer, and I looked in the 39-1; no results.

So, does it matter if you wear SS Blues or LS blues? I've heard it's mandatory to wear long-sleeve service uniform under the coat/suit (I know a tie is mandatory :P ) but I'm not completely sure.

Anyone know?

Avro

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Page 46, Table 2-1
Blue. Tie is optional unless worn with service dress uniform. Collar of shirt shows 1/4 or
1/2 inch above coat collar; with arms bent at a 90-degree angle, sleeve should barely touch
or come within 1-inch of the forearm; will have tapered fit; military creases are
prohibited. Sleeve crease is centered on epaulet.

"That Others May Zoom"

LtCol057

Personally, I'd say wear which ever you have. A lot of cadets don't have LS blue shirts.  I for one will not have a cow if a cadet shows up in Service Dress with a SS shirt on underneath, as long as he has a tie and rest of uniform is strac.

AvroArrow

Eclipse: sorry for not being more clear; that was my fault :(

I was talking about the Service Dress Uniform (as LtCol057 somehow gathered :P ). What I meant was if there is a regulation saying you must wear a LS Blues under the Dress Cout for the SDU.

So, do yo know if it's mandatory to wear the LS under the coat or is it also possible/optional to wear the SS instead (you have to wear a tie with the SDU no matter what, I know that).

Eclipse

Go back and read the table, the above quote answers your question.

A tie is required when the short sleeve shirt is worn with the service dress uniform, ergo, a short sleeve shirt is authorized
with the SDU.  Is a short sleeve shirt is authorized, then a long sleeve shirt isn't required.

Remember, military-style regs tell you what is authorized, but sometimes you have to think through the next step.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Look at line 2 in Table 2-1. Men's Service, Mess Dress, and Semiformal Uniforms on page 46.

Next to where it says Shirt (Short Sleeve), there are three X's indicating which uniforms for which the short sleeve shirt is authorized. Those are New Service Dress, Old Service Dress (Cadets Only), and the Short Sleeve Shirt.