Composite Squadron Rechartering as a Cadet Squadron

Started by NC Hokie, September 17, 2008, 02:19:37 AM

NC Hokie

Can anyone share any insights into the practical aspects of a composite squadron rechartering as a cadet squadron?  I'm specifically looking for info about any potential negative consequences involved with such a move.  Thanks!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

notaNCO forever

I can't see were it would change much. Since to change you would already have few senior members and that activities would already be cadet focused.

MIKE

You shouldn't need to recharter, just re-designate.  See CAPF 27.

I would do it if you are basically operating as a Cadet Squadron with superfluous deputies, and your senior program revolves around supporting the cadet program.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Now this may be a gross overgeneralization, but if you've got a flying program it could at least hurt the perception of the unit's ability to maintain enough pilots and aircrews to justify having a plane there.  However, there is no reason that a "cadet" squadron couldn't still have 49% of your members be seniors and still meet the standard of being primarily made up of cadets.   

I'm fairly sure it will limit your ability to recruit new seniors as they will rightfully see that the squadron is focused on cadet work of which some will not be interested in doing. 

Frankly, I think the question is what would be the advantage in changing?  It might marginally improve your ability to recruit cadets, but I don't think that effect would be significant.   

BuckeyeDEJ

It would have to be a lot easier than going the other way.

My unit was redesignated a composite squadron in February, after swallowing up another unit's members after that unit's deactivation. Not only did we take on a bunch of new seniors and cadets, we took on an identity crisis, one that I'm not sure we're through yet.

Fortunately, the seniors are active in operations/ES as well as with cadet training. Cadets are slowly assimilating to the composite-squadron reality.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.