Main Menu

EFJ Li-Ion Battery

Started by IceNine, September 03, 2008, 04:51:26 PM

IceNine

I've heard tales, and even held them in my hand.  A battery that weighs a fraction of the bricks we currently use.

This seems to be a mythical creature seen by many but that cannot be caught.  I've heard that it was manufactured for a different make and model. 

Anyone have any more Intel ?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

♠SARKID♠

Bump

Any new info on this thing?  I know the product sheet for the 5100 specifically says it exists.

IceNine

Nope... :'(

I'm told there is a Motorola battery that fits this design but can't figure out which one.

I know HT1000 Accessories fit on the accessory port, but not the batteries.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

wuzafuzz

Quote from: IceNine on February 11, 2009, 10:24:33 PM
Nope... :'(

I'm told there is a Motorola battery that fits this design but can't figure out which one.

I know HT1000 Accessories fit on the accessory port, but not the batteries.

I have a Motorola XTS3000 and the battery is interchangeable with the EFJ 5100 series battery.  I've swapped them a number of times when needed.  Supposedly the XTS5000 also uses the same batteries.  My NTN8831A charger will charge the EFJ battery too, but not with the radio attached.  That charger should also work with Astro Saber batteries.

Not sure if the Motorola battery has a different weight.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JoeTomasone

How many hams besides me keep reading the title of this thread as "MFJ" instead of "EFJ"???   :D

Slim

There is a Motorola LI ion battery for the XTS3k/5k that will work with the EFJ 5100s.  And most accessories from the Jedi series radios will work on them as well. 

The only problem with buying them through Motorola Parts is that they're ungodly expensive that way.  I'd recommend looking for something aftermarket that will be a lot cheaper.

One of our more active GTLs was cranking last summer at encampment that he couldn't find a speaker mic for his issued EFJ.  I snapped the mic off my MT2k, popped it on his EFJ, and hit the monitor switch, kerchunked the repeater, then showed him where to find them on eBay.  I understand lots of people out here have been buying them. 

As I understand it, the only EFJ specific parts to those radios are the firmware and the case.  Everything inside is made by mother /\/\.

Slim

Eclipse

From everything I've seen and used, most standard HT-1000 accessories work fine with the EFJ (Little Johnson).

I have a hand mic, and two different surveillance-style mics sourced off a reliable eBay vendor and I don't think I paid more than $50 total for all three together.

They've been working fine since I was issued the radio about 3 years ago.

My wing's DC has a source for these batteries, I'll post it as soon as he responds.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

I just looked at Battery zone and they have a few dozen options for the XTS 3k/5k, including Li Ion, and have a section for the EFJ 5100.  Just be careful when you look, because the XTS 1500/2500 use different accessories and batteries.

I didn't look, but they usually have aftermarket accessories (antennas, mics, chargers) as well.  For most accessories, I recommend eBay (especially if you can find a decent Buy it Now price).

Just FYI, the Jedi series includes the HT and JT 1000, MT/MTS 2000, and a few different MTX (800 MHz) models.

Slim

Eclipse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130286869814&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

This is the source.  No warranty beyond saying my wing DC uses these, use at your own risk.

Also note the date code on any Li-ion battery.
The Motorola date code is based off of last digit of the year and then the week number.

"That Others May Zoom"

Johnny Yuma

The XTS 3000/5000 batteries fit becasue in reality the EFJ radio is a motorola with a slightly different case and firmware.

Don't believe me? Look at the antenna. Someone forgot to scrape MOTOROLA off of it.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

IceNine

I believe HT1000 accessories fit it too.  And I'll be looking into one.

Thanks

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CAP.is.1337

Jedi and Astro accessories are compatible with the EFJ5100-series. The batteries are the same as XTS3000/XTS5000 radios.

The part numbers for the Li-Ion batteries are NNTN6034A and NTN9862C. Just remember that you have to have an Impress or other tri-chem charger in order to charge them. Otherwise, you'll just ruin it or blow it up.

If I remember correctly, the original EFJ's were pretty much recased Motos with the same RF boards, but I believe that they now completely different under the hood.

* Jedi means everything from HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, MTX8000, etc...
* Astro means XTS3000 and Astro-25 is XTS-2500/XTS-5000
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634