Main Menu

Find a unit near me

Started by Grumpy, August 27, 2008, 10:03:19 PM

Grumpy

Since they have changed the national web site it seems I can't find squadron information.
Do we still have a "Find a unit near me" location?

Agathodicy

Is this what you're looking for? I got to it by clicking on the upper right corner of the gocivilairpatrol.com site.
"Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." --Terry Pratchett

Grumpy

Ah bless you.  I'm have problems getting used to the new lay out.  Another 5-10 years I should get it down.   ;D

Agathodicy

From what I gather, we'll be lucky if it only changes format, oh, six or seven times in that period. ;) I'm glad I could help; all I've ever seen is this latest iteration of site layouts, so I haven't had to change my habits any. I guess there had to be at least one advantage to being brand new to all things CAP!
"Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." --Terry Pratchett

Grumpy

Thanks again.  For all the complaining that you hear, remember the good that CAP does.

stratoflyer

^Someone has to say it.

Then again, we do have to vent once in a while.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Agathodicy

I'd be more worried--suspicious, even--if I saw only "Rah, rah, CAP rules!" posts. A certain amount of complaining/venting/what-have-you about a given organization seems pretty healthy to me. It says that the members care enough to voice their opinions (and yes, argue heatedly over them--this is the Internet) about the policies and direction of an organization about which they feel strongly. If the good that CAP does did not outweigh the irritations, no one would bother to create an account on a forum devoted to the organization or spend time reading topics or type out personal responses, vents or otherwise. They'd just leave, indifferent.

The occasionally, ah, passionate discussions I've read on this forum have not thus far dissuaded me from trying to "find a unit near me," after all. (How's that for dragging my post back on topic?  ;D)

stratoflyer

Drag along, as I drive 30 miles to my unit. Not very near me, but definitely I know someone else drives further.

Still, we do care and we all try and we got stuff to say. So here here.

Find unit near me page lists my group commander and an old squadron that has been inactive for over a year....

SarDragon

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 28, 2008, 04:26:49 AM
Drag along, as I drive 30 miles to my unit. Not very near me, but definitely I know someone else drives further.

Still, we do care and we all try and we got stuff to say. So here here.

Find unit near me page lists my group commander and an old squadron that has been inactive for over a year....

Looks like someone isn't keeping up with the Form 27 process.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stratoflyer

What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting I start my own unit?

Grumpy

The Form 27 is used whenever there is a change affecting the unit.  Address change, meeting time and date change, disbanded, etc.  If they did accomplish the Form 27 and send up the chain how would Nat'l know, "you ain't no mo.."?

Grumpy

Quote from: Grumpy on August 28, 2008, 08:24:21 PM
The Form 27 is used whenever there is a change affecting the unit.  Address change, meeting time and date change, disbanded, etc.  If they did accomplish the Form 27 and send up the chain how would Nat'l know, "you ain't no mo.."?

Oops,  that's "didn't"

stratoflyer

Understood. Form what I hear, the ones responsible for those squadrons squandered them and then got up and left.

They took the money and ran...so to speak. Actually, it was more the glory of being in charge and watched it all fall down to ashes. Shame. But if it wasn't for that, I think I would have never have joined the great squadron I'm in now.

"No hay mal que por bien no venga."

Old saying my old man used to say that loosely translated means out of a bad thing something good still comes out. But I digress...