Space Shuttle Exercise

Started by Smokey, August 12, 2008, 07:03:55 PM

Smokey

Some of you may not know, but CAP is involved in Space Shuttle Operations.  You may have heard that CAP patrols the skies prior to launch at Cape Canaveral.  But we also participate at any landing that occurs at Edwards AFB in California.  CAWG has participated in two actual landings and several exercises.  The t-shirt I have for this reads "Space Shuttle Support Team" "Doing What Others Dream"

On July 26, a shuttle landing exercise was held at Edwards AFB.  CAP was there with a crew to provide near real time images via SDIS back to the command post.  The exercise was monitored by NORTHCOMM, 1st AF and of course NASA. We were soundly praised by all.

On the Edwards website (www.edwards.af.mil) there is a news story about the exercise and CAP is mentioned. One of the images (aerial view) was taken from the Airvan by the CAP crew.  I'm also attaching two pics taken by the SDIS operator (Lt Col McCauley).

We operate with a crew of 4-5 folks in the Airvan (pilot,copilot, SDIS operator, Asst SDIS operator and on this exercise an ARCHER operator), an operations officer (me)  flying in a HH-60 with the AirBoss, assistant operations officer in the NASA command vehicle and an IC.  Two of my crew are also candidates for the astronaut corps.

I'd like to give a big thanks and credit to my crew on this exercise, Capt Mike Lauer-pilot (and astronaut candidate), Lt Mark Beutel-copilot, Lt Eric Hoffman-asst SDIS Operator, Lt Col Woody McCauley-SDIS Operator, Capt Charlie Fields-ARCHER Operator (and astronaut candidate), Capt Mark McKIbben, my assistant ops officer and Lt Tolga Tarhan-IC.

Smokey
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

No doubt about it, that's pretty cool!

"That Others May Zoom"

MikeD

We seriously need you to come talk to our squadron for ES night (3rd Tuesdays) on Edwards some month...

Lancer

Hopefully you or someone else sent <a href="http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123108898>the link for this article</a> to CAPNews. Nice!

Smokey

Yes,  the story was sent to CAPNews.  Hope to see it there soon.

Smokey

A little more about the scenario.

The shuttle (mock up) lands and after landing a fire breaks out.   
CFR (Crash-Fire-Rescue) did their thing with the hoses (hence the water you see on the ground), then they "rescued" the injured astronauts, triaged and transported them to hospitals via helo.

That is just one of the scenarios that have been exercised. Others have included the shuttle failing to make the runway and landing (!!!) other than were it was supposed to!

Edwards AFB is quite prepared for anything from a nominal landing to off runway landings to astronaut bail outs. And CAP is part of it all.