I hope no one needs recruiting materials...

Started by jimmydeanno, July 23, 2008, 07:34:05 PM

Walkman

To keep everyone in the loop...

I am personally working with Marie Neese at NHQ on designing and printing a new cadet recruiting brochure. It will be a 4 panel double gate-fold in full color with a spot on the back for a squadron info sticker. We've discussed making a Word template for the sticker that fit's Avery labels, so everything looks uniform and clean.

I sent them a mock-up of the cover and opening gate recently as a design concept and Marie is running it past the Creative Services Director. I'm actually going to be doing some work on it tonight. Not to toot my own horn or anything *cough*, but it's lookin' pretty cool so far. We've included more photos and I'm rewriting the content to that it speaks to the target demographic instead of sounding like a corporate press-release.

CadetProgramGuy

Can you do us a favor????  Please check the photos for uniform violations before publishing?

It will save you your own personal flame thread on uniforms that way!

:)

jimmydeanno

I think the more important thing would be that the picture reflects the image that we want to portray.  Is the photo exciting?  Does it draw someone to read more?  Does the person look professional?

If the picture was taken a few years ago and is the best one we have to convey the message we want to send there isn't any reason not to use it if the guy in the flightsuit has "US" on his command patch, or the cadet in the picture has a wing patch on his blues.

What you are asking for may be completely unreasonable and if achieved is only going to be current until the next uniform change - then the complaints will start rolling in on how we can't use the brochures because the guy in the photo has his NCSA patch on the wrong pocket.

It would be a tragedy for NHQ to have to delete their entire photo archive every time the uniform regulations changed.

If you're looking for guidance on how to wear a CAP uniform, you probably shouldn't get your advice from the recruiting material.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 06, 2008, 12:03:24 PM
I think the more important thing would be that the picture reflects the image that we want to portray.  Is the photo exciting?  Does it draw someone to read more?  Does the person look professional?

If the picture was taken a few years ago and is the best one we have to convey the message we want to send there isn't any reason not to use it if the guy in the flightsuit has "US" on his command patch, or the cadet in the picture has a wing patch on his blues.

What you are asking for may be completely unreasonable and if achieved is only going to be current until the next uniform change - then the complaints will start rolling in on how we can't use the brochures because the guy in the photo has his NCSA patch on the wrong pocket.

It would be a tragedy for NHQ to have to delete their entire photo archive every time the uniform regulations changed.

If you're looking for guidance on how to wear a CAP uniform, you probably shouldn't get your advice from the recruiting material.

Agreed...Sorry I should have used the sarcasm tags....

Although you do have to admit this forum is very fickle on anything uniforms.   Yes even myself.

Walkman

NOW you tell me! LOL.

I am shooting a few new pix from our squadron, but the rest are coming from the archive.

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on August 06, 2008, 05:12:59 AM
Can you do us a favor????  Please check the photos for uniform violations before publishing?

It will save you your own personal flame thread on uniforms that way!

:)

I'm sure that I'll get some flack for the design as well. Too many people with different tastes to please everyone. I've been in this biz long enough to understand that.  :)

mikeylikey

^ No one here will shoot you down.  You are actually doing something to improve CAP.  Well done!!

Are you following the new formatting that all the new Cadet material (leadership books etc) use??
What's up monkeys?

Walkman

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 06, 2008, 03:29:15 PM
Are you following the new formatting that all the new Cadet material (leadership books etc) use??

Nope. I wasn't aware that there was any. Marie didn't tell me about anything when we got started.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on August 04, 2008, 12:25:43 AM
FYI, they don't even have a slot for the knocks brochure to be ordered from eservices anymore.  However, they just say it is out of stock rather than "discontinued".  If they do drop it, I hope they chose a more standard brochure size -- had to buy new brochure holders for opportunity knocks that will know be useless -- but still have the older small holders that I can put to use again. 

A standard size would be great. Every time I see Air Force etc recruiting pamphlets in a nice holder sitting at some business or other public place I get a little embarrassed laying down things of different sizes.

I would probably buy or make something to fit this purpose but only if I thought it would be good for at least 5 years? If they all had a standard SIZE that would be great!
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Walkman on August 06, 2008, 03:33:26 PM

Nope. I wasn't aware that there was any. Marie didn't tell me about anything when we got started.

There is no way for me to be sure, but they might be referring to the material found here:  http://www.capleadership.com

Original posting on CAPTalk about this is here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5235.0
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Walkman on August 06, 2008, 01:24:39 AM
....a spot on the back for a squadron info sticker. We've discussed making a Word template for the sticker that fit's Avery labels, so everything looks uniform and clean.

Great idea! Are you coordinating (sharing info/ideas, etc) with the designers of the other pamphlets?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander