Main Menu

CAP 101 presentation

Started by RiverAux, June 25, 2008, 02:13:09 AM

RiverAux

Apparently CAP might be trying out yet another new motto (doesn't NHQ realize that you're supposed to have one brand, not twelve). 

I just downloaded the CAP101 presentation from CAP channel and what greets my eyes when I open it up:
CIVIL AIR PATROL -- MORE THAN A CITIZENSHIP PROGRAM

Okay, that aside, what is up with this presentation?  I thought it was supposed to be a general presentation that we could use to give to local groups who didn't know much about CAP.  Instead, we get mind-boggling flow charts of CAP's organizational structure and how federal mission tasks flow, 7 charts discussing CAP national-level budget problems and something about CAP-RAP program "challenges".  Also there is a map of CAP unit locations that is horribly, horribly wrong (shows about twice as many units as my wing has).  The slides about the cadet programs are just basically a list of NCSAs. 

It has been a while since I had looked at it.  Previously I liked it for the most part, but it is about 75% useless for local work.  So, back to the drawing board for the presentation I have to give this week. 

CASH172

I just looked at it and I'm in total agreement.  I remember seeing another one that was a little bit more dumbed down.  Not sure what happened to it. 

Pylon

No central control.  No identity. No message consistency.  No branding.  6 different logos in current use (no joke), 3 names for our organization in circulation.  And a lot of uncontrolled, unguided re-inventing of the wheel at the Region, Wing and local level for everything from flyers and brochures to recruiting videos and websites.  These are the things a dedicated corporate communications office would control, correct and maintain.

So can we ever reasonably expect a quality product before we fix the underlying issues that CAP so desperately wants to ignore in favor of a motto-of-the-moment fix?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

gistek

"MORE THAN A CITIZENSHIP PROGRAM"

My first thought was teaching immigrants how to recite the Pledge of allegiance in English and prepare for the Citizenship tests.

I like "More Than Meets The Skies" pretty well. It emphasizes our air services, while giving a great opportunity to show all the other stuff we do.

DesertFlyer

I agree.  I deleted at least half the slides from this one, including the flowcharts, etc., and used the ones with descriptions of major CAP programs.  I then added a number of slides describing the activities of our local squadron.  With that, I'm ready for the Rotary, Kiwanis, City Council, etc.

It would be nice to have a more generic "starting template," aimed at the non-member general public, from which we could begin our customization.  In any case, you're always going to want to add some material about your local activities.

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans