A Senator candidate came to my door today....

Started by D2SK, June 03, 2008, 12:02:57 AM

D2SK

And so I hit him up with some ideas I had, he asked me to send him an email... here it is for your review and comment.  Be gentle.  I'm still new.  ;D

---

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable time today at my door step.  I sincerely appreciate your desire to serve the State of Arizona as our District 20 State Senator.

As we discussed, I'm interested in legal protections for volunteer emergency services workers.  Essentially, volunteer emergency workers should have job protections that help ensure non-paid time off in the event of an emergency or disaster. 

For example, the United States Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, is a civilian volunteer force that performs 90% of the nation's inland search and rescue missions.  Our volunteers serve without compensation, operating the world's largest fleet of single-engine, piston aircraft, with the nation's most extensive communications network and over 1,000 emergency services vehicles.  Our ground search and rescue teams are trained professionals capable of extended field deployment.  We are trained to FEMA and other standards for emergency management and incident response.

To perform these missions for America, it is necessary for our officers to respond on short notice.  Legal protections that ensure our continued employment would help maintain mission readiness, and eliminate the choice we make with every response:  help those in need, or keep our job safe.  We are not asking for paid time off, but protections that:

* eliminate the possibility of discrimination against volunteer emergency services workers
* allow volunteer emergency services workers to take unpaid time-off (even if short notice) to respond to emergencies
* ensure that post deployment, our jobs are waiting for us

These same protections should be extended to all volunteer workers including: police reserve officers and auxiliary staff, sheriff's posse members, volunteer firefighters and emergency medical technicians, US Coast Guard Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, Red Cross Personnel and other recognized professional volunteer emergency workers.

In a post 9/11 world, professional volunteer workers are needed more than ever.  Once elected, can we have your support to help enact legislation to provide job protection for emergency services workers?

Respectfully submitted,
Lighten up, Francis.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: D2SK on June 03, 2008, 12:02:57 AM
For example, the United States Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol, is a civilian volunteer force that performs 90% of the nation's inland search and rescue missions...

as tasked by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center.

We don't do 90% of the inland SAR.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

What would add weight to your letter is mentioning the states which already extend this protection to CAP members in one form or another.  There are some states that do.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 03, 2008, 12:38:08 AM

While the number creeps up everytime NHQ publishes it, we >are< responsible for a large percentage of
Inland SAR, I'd guess its more in the 70's.

Remember:

A: there isn't all that much "inland SAR"

B: ELT searches are considered SAR, so it may not be worth a movie of the week, but its a mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

D2SK

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 03, 2008, 12:38:08 AM

Just going by what is said on http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeid=6081&audienceID=4
Lighten up, Francis.

D2SK

Quote from: Pylon on June 03, 2008, 01:08:31 AM
What would add weight to your letter is mentioning the states which already extend this protection to CAP members in one form or another.  There are some states that do.

Good idea, anyone have a list?
Lighten up, Francis.

sardak

Tennessee, Colorado and Iowa have laws for sure.  I believe there are several other states, and here are two discussions on the topic:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=5119.0

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4060.0

As for the 90%, the source originally cited was an attempt by someone at NHQ to make a bullet point out of a short statement.  This correct statement is from here: http://www.cap.gov/visitors/about/our_programs/operations.cfm
"CAP still flies 90 percent of all federal inland SAR missions, as directed by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center (AFRCC) at Tyndall AFB, Fla. CAP also supports the Joint Rescue Coordination Centers in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico." 
Performs is a better word than flies, since not all of our missions for AFRCC involve flying.

The Inland SAR Region is the lower 48 US states, so in fact that are many "inland SAR" incidents. However, AFRCC and CAP are only involved in a fraction of them.  But of those they are involved in, AFRCC has this to say:
"Without Civil Air Patrol's highly dedicated personnel, the United States Air Force would find it very difficult to fulfill it's mission responsibilities in the 48 Continental United States. Civil Air Patrol is our 1st resource!"
http://www.acc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3721

Mike

♠SARKID♠

Good letter, well written.  I really like how you asked the question in the last line, that really stands out and makes you want an answer.  The fact that you talk about other agencies also adds to it by making it a widespread benefit, not a selfish request.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: D2SK on June 03, 2008, 02:50:07 AM
Good idea, anyone have a list?

Can't talk for everyone, but IAWG does have it

RiverAux

The AFRCC published annual reports and placed them on its web page.  Hasn't done so for a few years (or at least hasn't posted them).  But, from the reports you could figure out how many AFRCC missions were tasked to CAP and as you might expect, that percentage changed on a yearly basis -- hence the different figures you will find in various CAP publications.