Disaster Relief

Started by billford1, May 31, 2008, 03:13:46 AM

billford1

This is perhaps not a new topic but a CAP buddy asked me a question the other day that I had a hard time with. He said to me "If you went out to the scene of a flood or tornado, and encountered people in distress just what would you be prepared to do?" Has anyone here done this for real with CAP?

Eclipse

There's a Grand Canyon's difference between what most of us ground pounders are prepared to do versus what we are allowed to do.

Our actual in-house training primarily allows for secondary and tertiary(+) operations such as disaster assessment (BTDT).

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

I have encountered people a week after Katrina hit that begged me for water, food, etc as I made my way from place to place as an ARES member (I was inactive with CAP at the time).   I basically told them the truth -- I had driven there from Florida to help with communications and the only supplies I had with me had to last me until they sent me home.  I then asked them if there was anyone I could get a message to on their behalf -- to let them know that they were OK (or not).    They seemed amazed that not only could I do such a thing, but that I would - and that defused the whole issue of my giving up the food I had for myself.

On the other hand, after Wilma, we were overstocked with water ("take all you can carry"), and I gladly gave some to those who needed it - but I set that expectation ahead of time ("The only thing I have extra of is water - can I give you some?").    Now, with ARES, you're in street clothes and look like someone who might be in a spot yourself.   Not sure how the official looking uniform might cloud people's judgment. 

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2008, 04:19:45 AM
There's a Grand Canyon's difference between what most of us ground pounders are prepared to do versus what we are allowed to do.

Our actual in-house training primarily allows for secondary and tertiary(+) operations such as disaster assessment (BTDT).

How do I learn how to do damage assessment?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

The Red Cross teaches a course, but they seem to be more interested in teaching it to those willing to do the assessment as Red Cross volunteers rather than with another agency. 

Frankly, CAP does not have any real doctrine on using ground forces in disaster relief missions. 

Eclipse

Quote from: JThemann on May 31, 2008, 03:04:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 31, 2008, 04:19:45 AM

How do I learn how to do damage assessment?

Depends on which kind, aircrews do photo missions all the time to provide information to other agencies doing assessment, in fact its getting to be one of our more important missions.

Ground teams can participate with the Red Cross and receive DA training through them, we did that here early last year
in connection with flooding.  From the air the homes looked completely fine, but at ground level they were total losses.

This house, for example has no foundation left whatsoever....

Quote from: RiverAux on May 31, 2008, 03:24:51 PM
The Red Cross teaches a course, but they seem to be more interested in teaching it to those willing to do the assessment as Red Cross volunteers rather than with another agency.

I agree and disagree, the key is contacts >before< you are needed, just like any other agency.  Our advantage is having a number of dual-membership people who have facilitated the relationship.

"That Others May Zoom"