National Staff College 2008 Attendance

Started by James Shaw, May 25, 2008, 11:33:10 AM

James Shaw

I am planning on attending the NSC in October it is the last thing I need for Level 5. I do have a few questions though.

Do the members who attend have to schedule a room at the base or offbase?

What uniform do they wear for an entire week?

Anyone else on this forum planning to attend?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

AlphaSigOU

Not eligible yet... hafta finish Level IV by attending RSC or doing SOS via correspondence. Plus I don't get golden bottlecaps on my shoulders and farts and darts on my visor until July 2010 at the earliest.

I'd figure NSC dress would be the same as RSC; lots of blues/corporates, mess dress or tux for the grad dining out.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FW

Uniforms as above.  You should get a packet describing everything well before you go.  Lt Col Myrek is great at insuring this information gets out (I think she's still in charge).
Rooms?  NSC staff takes care of that.   My class (2001) stayed on base.

James Shaw

Quote from: FW on May 25, 2008, 12:13:21 PM
Uniforms as above.  You should get a packet describing everything well before you go.  Lt Col Myrek is great at insuring this information gets out (I think she's still in charge).

Room is part of the tuition?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

RickFranz

Quote from: caphistorian on May 25, 2008, 11:33:10 AM
I am planning on attending the NSC in October it is the last thing I need for Level 5. I do have a few questions though.
Do the members who attend have to schedule a room at the base or offbase?
What uniform do they wear for an entire week?
Anyone else on this forum planning to attend?

I need to go as well and have been wondering the same things,  Thanks for asking.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: caphistorian on May 25, 2008, 12:39:01 PM

Room is part of the tuition?

I have not been to NSC, but I went to another National school (IG College) and the room is NOT covered by tuition.  The staff will reserve a room for you, so that billeting does not have 50 or more calls to reserve rooms, but you pay for the room yourself.  Also meals, and beer if you have time for beer.  I made it to the club ONE night in IG school.  The week was pretty busy.  The best I could do was to buy a 12-pack at the BX the first night, and have 1 or 2 before going to sleep while I watched the news.  And I still had a bunch to give away the last night before I left.  Fortunately, there were a few grateful pilots in the Q who were there for the Aviation Safety School.
Another former CAP officer

PA Guy

I attended in 2007.  Billeting reservations are made for students but the student is responsible for the cost of billeting and meals.

Three uniforms were authorized. USAF Style with short sleeve shirt without tie.  CAP Aviator shirt short sleeve without tie and CAP Corporate with short sleeve shirt without tie.  Polo shirts, jumpsuits, flight suits, BDUs etc. were not authorized.  For NSC, ribbons were not authorized for those uniform combos.  Students were issued a NSC polo shirt that was worn at several informal social events.  The graduation banquet dress is: mess dress, dress blazer combo, tux or business suit.  The semi formal Service Dress and the standard Service Dress were not authorized for the banquet.  Uniforms  were not worn when off duty.

FW

^Couldn't have added anything more.  Enjoy NSC.

Turk

To attend NSC, one has to be at least a Major, right? ???

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

flyguync

7-2. National Staff College (NSC).
The NSC is the executive-level, in-residence course for senior members who aspire to high-level leadership in CAP. The
NSC provides CAP officers the types of developmental experiences required to operate complex programs. Consequently,
CAP encourages present and potential wing and region commanders to attend. It also encourages squadron and group
commanders who have attended RSC to apply. Personnel desiring to attend the NSC must hold the grade of major or above
(this is not waiverable) and have completed a RSC or equivalent (Attachment 2). Wing and region commanders and staff
officers, and unit or higher level commanders receive priority. Region commanders may waive the RSC completion
requirement for the purpose of attending the NSC. RSC must still be completed at a later date. The National Commander
and the Executive Director hold sole discretion for waiver of other eligibility criteria (except for grade, which is not
waiverable). They grant requests only under exceptional circumstances. The region commander requests this waiver.

Be a Maj and RSC or PME grad...or get a waiver

Chappie

Will concur with the comments of PA guy (having  been a student in 2001 and served as a staff member for 2006 and 2007 NSC.  I will be returning this year as a seminar advisor -- so I hope to see a few of you there.  Who knows??? -- you might get stuck with me  :D).  Lt Col Peggy Myrick will be serving as director for this year's NSC.  

A brochure will be sent to each student upon registration.  There are required readings for the sessions at NSC.  These readings will be available on-line prior to NSC (at least they have been in the past couple of years).  There are three social functions that are part of the tuition (a sandwich gathering on Sunday, a mid-week bar-b-q at Hooper's lounge -- both these events are casual in which students wear their NSC polo shirts and hats, and the formal banquet on Friday evening).   The seminar groups will go out to dinner on Saturday evening off-base -- pay for own dinner.  A way to get better acquianted.  Most meals during the week are at the River Front Inn (on base dining -- cafeteria-style, base pricing-very reasonable   ;) ).   There is a food court at the BX but it is not within walking distance of the academic circle or billeting.  There is a Class Six/Uniform store near billeting for incidentals.  The main Uniform store is near the BX.

There are washer/dryers in billeting....so pack light and wash your clothes sometime during the week.  And take a big suitcase to pack with books from AU Press.  One afternoon is devoted to visiting NHQ, the AU Press, Uniform sales, etc.  Students are permitted to take 5 books (at no cost) from AU Press.  The schedule is pretty tight most days...but if you can make it over to AU during lunch -- all the better.  Check out this link and start planning on what books look interesting to you:  http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/

It is a packed week in which you will hear presentations from outstanding leaders -- both within and from outside CAP.  There are sessions with your seminar group to work through the material that you have read and a speaker addressed.

You will be asked about the method of travel....if you are flying in to Montgomery (MGM), there will be transportation to and from the airport via CAP vehicle.

Feel free to pm me about any further questions.

I know that NSC will prove to be a fun and valuable experience.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

fyrfitrmedic

I'd like to attend this year; schedule and other commitments play a big role in my decision.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

DrDave

As I understand it, you can obtain 5 books _a day_ for free from the bookstore and have them shipped home (for an addtional cost?), so no big suitcase needed.

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

Chappie

In the past that was the case (yes, you paid the freight).  However, last year the shipping was something that you had to do on your own (i.e. Fed Ex/UPS from the BX -- I think it was BX).   Not sure if it was a policy change or an anomoly experienced that week.   I would be prepared either way :)

Cecil DP

Quote from: Chappie on May 26, 2008, 04:17:07 PM
In the past that was the case (yes, you paid the freight).  However, last year the shipping was something that you had to do on your own (i.e. Fed Ex/UPS from the BX -- I think it was BX).   Not sure if it was a policy change or an anomoly experienced that week.   I would be prepared either way :)
I would think with the shortage of money in the Armed Forces, the decision was made to have the recipient pay for delivery. Just for the CAP members who need shipping it saves $500/class (my estimate).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SAR-EMT1

Let me see if i get this straight:

1)At NSC you don't wear your uniform unless you are in class, wearing a class polo at most other times.

2) You get five free books from AU Press (someone said "5 per day" - which I find hard to believe)

Questions:
Why cant you wear your uniform at other times? -- So students from ASBC dont accidently salute you?

The books that you can pick up, are they required reading for your NSC ?

-- I always hate being reminded that the DL version of SOS/ ACSC/ AWC does not include the In-Res book package --  :(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 27, 2008, 04:57:02 AM

1)At NSC you don't wear your uniform unless you are in class, wearing a class polo at most other times.

2) You get five free books from AU Press (someone said "5 per day" - which I find hard to believe)

Questions:
Why cant you wear your uniform at other times? -- So students from ASBC dont accidently salute you?

-- I always hate being reminded that the DL version of SOS/ ACSC/ AWC does not include the In-Res book package --  :(

Calen:

Why would you WANT to wear your uniform when not in class?  After class, I shed the uniform as soon as I get back to the Q and put on shorts and a T-shirt.  IF I have a command performance at a BBQ or some evening event, I will wear what is prescribed, polo or otherwise, but on MY time I wear comfortable clothes.

You will find that on AF bases about half of the AF personnel will render salutes.  They know it is not required, but they also know we serve without compensation and do a job for their service, and they have some level of respect for that.  Simply return it with honor and precision.

Another former CAP officer

Camas

Lt Col Myrick is great at insuring this information gets out (I think she's still in charge).
Quote from: Chappie on May 25, 2008, 11:41:20 PM
Lt Col Peggy Myrick will be serving as director for this year's NSC.   
I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with her in the past. They don't come any better.  Should be a great course.  Wish I could go but I used my CAP "allowance" for 2008 attending RSC at Nellis this spring  :'(

Chappie

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 27, 2008, 04:57:02 AM

Questions:

Adding to what John wrote:  After class hours is casual.  The polo shirt/hat will be worn for the official social functions (usually Sunday evening and the Bar-b-q at Hoopers Lounge sometime during the week).   IIRC...the polo shirt is worn for the team-building activities.    You may or may not be saluted....but custom and courtesies will be followed.   I know that my right arm did get a work out from saluting while attending NSC -- lots of LTs were running around and they were rendering salutes.   As for wearing the uniform all day: remember...you will be in Montgomery (humidity).  The sooner I got out of the uniform and into my casual wear, the better  ;D 

The reading material should be put on-line prior to NSC (at least it was last year) and has been put on CD.  The books at AU are available for your reading enjoyment not required for NSC.  I would recommend going to AU Site and start perusing so you won't waste time looking...but moving with a purpose in selecting books.  

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 27, 2008, 01:30:18 PM
You will find that on AF bases about half of the AF personnel will render salutes.  They know it is not required, but they also know we serve without compensation and do a job for their service, and they have some level of respect for that.  Simply return it with honor and precision.

Well said Sir.  I would actually say that on most US Bases/ Posts military personell render salutes to CAP members.  Some mistaken by the military Officer aspect of our Senior Member Corps, others just doing what is customary.  I would like to remind everyone that you should return the salute, because if you don't you look like a terd.  I have reamed out CAP Colonels that actually stopped the Enlisted members that saluted them to tell them "you don't have to salute me or anyone else, were CAP".  You know what, I actually enjoy it.  The last time was a former PAWG Commander, and all he could say was "but, but, but". 

I am so sick of our fellow members degrading their volunteer service and FELLOW members by saying "were only CAP, don't salute".  I don't care if you are the National Commander or a freaking CAP Lt Col..... return the salute.  I think if you fail in this simplest of tasks.....you should remove yourself from CAP.  You are only an embarrassment to the rest of us.

As far as NSC....please whatever you people do, don't do anything STUPID while you are there.  Act like the Officers you are supposed to be.  I know many CAP Officers that in an instant would get us so reamed by the USAF for stupid things they do.  Also, this is not a time to play AF.  Go there and learn what you are supposed to learn and go back home.  Don't abuse the privileges the AF is giving you, because it only will come back to HURT us all.  Also, five books is plenty when they are free.  If you can actually get five books a day, Don't!!!  And if they offer free shipping feel free to take it, but if not, don't hassle the clerks. 

What's up monkeys?