Actual attempts to change regulations

Started by RiverAux, April 19, 2008, 11:21:52 PM

Have you made an official proposal through the proper channels to change a CAP national regulation and if so, what happened?

Never officially tried to change a reg
19 (38.8%)
Made an official proposal and it died at squadron level
0 (0%)
Made an official proposal and it died at Wing level
4 (8.2%)
Made an official proposal and it was shot down at the national level
5 (10.2%)
Made a proposal but I have no idea where it went and nothing changed.
7 (14.3%)
Never proposed anything new, but suggested change to a draft regulation but the suggestion was not implemented
2 (4.1%)
Never proposed anything new, but suggested change to a draft regulation and the suggestion was included in the final version.
3 (6.1%)
Made an official proposal and it was accepted and the CAP reg was changed
9 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

RiverAux

Okay, we spend most of our time talking about CAP regulations and policies of one type or another and I'm curious as to whether an of us have made an effort in the real world to get a national CAP regulation changed and whether or not it worked for them. 

dwb

I fought the 2003 revision of CAPR 52-16, but most of the things I complained about made it through anyway.  I'm not sure my Wing CC agreed with me at all, but I felt I needed to say something.

Gunner C

Quote from: dwb on April 19, 2008, 11:39:29 PM
I fought the 2003 revision of CAPR 52-16, but most of the things I complained about made it through anyway.  I'm not sure my Wing CC agreed with me at all, but I felt I needed to say something.

WIWAC, we wore the comm badge above the ribbons.  There was a change sometime in the 1969-1974 time frame that moved it to the pocket.  In my frame of reference in those days, I thought that it was a severe injustice.  I thought up a plan that would get the badge moved back to where "I" thought it belonged.  I wrote a letter to the wing commander stating that it should be moved back to over the ribbons (remember, it was the only badge we had at the time other than wings).  I used the rationale that it didn't work well on women to have it there due to figure differences.  He agreed and brought it up at the NB.  They hauled off and passed it . . . for women only.   ;D 

I look back on that and laugh.

GC

Stonewall

I proposed a 3-tier EMT badge with samples and written recommendation for awarding each badge (EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P) and got shot down by wing commander with an explanation of "NHQ will never go for it".

A couple years later, someone else proposed it, not sure at what level, and now we have them.

Technically this would be an attempt to change a regulation so I guess it counts.
Serving since 1987.

flyerthom

I was part of the Health Services working group under Dr Greenberg and Dr McLaughlin.
TC

BlackKnight

Myself and a colleage in my squadron helped revise CAPR 173-1 and 173-2 during the Dec06-Jan07 timeframe to add teeth to the financial regulations to help protect squadrons operating under the wing banking program.  Not all of our change recommendations were accepted, but several key ones were. You can them in the revision marks for the 11FEB07 editions of those two regulations.

We thought we had added sufficient protection, but it's now coming to light that some wings are violating the original intent of the protection clauses after claiming to have received "verbal" permission from NHQ to do so.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

capchiro

I submitted a proposed regulation change to allow doctors of chiropractic to be included in the health service field that was accepted and approved a while back.  Shortly thereafter, the reg's were again changed to allow many more professions.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Dragoon

Through my Wing CC I submitted the first proposal to wear ribbons on the aviator shirt.  The vote at the NB was tied.  They did a recount.  It was tied again!  So BG Bobick, cast the deciding vote and it failed.  Talk about high drama.

Within 2 years it came up again from someone else and passed.

arajca

I've sent a few things up, but I have no idea if anything came of them. The closest was a change to allow black t-shirts with the bbdu.