Main Menu

Hangin out with the AZWG

Started by flyguy06, April 07, 2008, 08:39:21 PM

flyguy06

I spent a month and a half in Phoenix, AZ training for my new airline job. When I had some time off, I would go to a local CAP meeting. It was good to visit another Squadron in another Wing in Another Region. I have never done that before.

It was interesting to see the differnces and similarities of them and my own wing and squadron. I visited three different units. Very friendly people. One Squadron was on the verge of being dismantledutil the parents stepped up and took over and are currently building them back up. I really admire their fortitude. None of them have military experience and they all where the blue shirt/ grey pants, but at least they are giving it their all. I helped them one night with D&C and the cadets had a great time and learned something.
Another unit I visited was a large unit. Very active cadets and Seniors. The Squadron CC had just taken over as Group CC. Another good group of folks. Their Color Guard went to SWR to compete. I understand they put on a heck of a performance.

Anyway, I am back home now for now, but I do plan to go out and visit them again.

CAPOfficer

It's to bad that the struggling unit couldn't get with one of the stronger ones and form a sister-squadron relationship.  Of course, I am assuming these units are in close proximity to one another and therefore distance would not be a factor.

flyguy06

Not really that close. Probably about a 20-25 minute dirve. They meet on different nights too.
But the smaller unit isnt really struggling. They are just new and they have to gain experience. It will come with time.

jpnelson82

Flyguy, are you from Georgia Wing?
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000