Main Menu

Brass CAP Belt Buckle

Started by drcomm, March 23, 2008, 04:48:20 PM

drcomm

Back in the early 1980's (WIWAC) my dad bought me a brass CAP belt buckle from a company called "The Belt Buckle Business, LTD." in Norman, OK.  I remember they had a small catalog with all different kinds of "pilot wing" belt buckles, CAP being one of them.  I have worn that buckle continuously since then but was curious to know if they were still available.  I've had several folks see mine and ask where they could get one.  On the back are the words "The Russ Presson Collection" and "The Belt Buckle Business, LTD,  P O Box 1395,  Norman, OK 73070"

So CAPTalk community, have any of you seen these recently or know if they are still available.  I have searched for the company name online but have had no luck finding them.

I've attached a scan of the front and back of the buckle.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

IceNine

Neat little artifact but I haven't seen anything like it at least in the 10 years I've been around
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

I, got one of those from eBay about two years ago. I, too, tried to find info on the company, and came up empty. It's a really nice product.

I can date it to 1963 or later, because there's a ZIP code in the address. No other real info, though.

I might add that it meets the spirit, but not the letter of the regulation, so the uni-nazis might have something to say. Personally, I tell them to go find something better to do.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

To the OP, would you happen to have your original uniform from when YWAC? (You Were A Cadet).  I would imagine you wearing this on the CAP corporate uniform or the AF blues which it doesn't say that you can wear the brass buckle however it doesn't say you can't either.

So I am curious, would it be "legal" to wear a vintage CAP uniform for unofficial purposes? I kind of like the old AF tan :).

SarDragon

This is not now, nor has it ever been, to the best of my knowledge, an authorized uniform item for the AF-style uniforms. As I stated, it meets the spirit, but not the letter, of the law for wear on non-TP corporate uniforms.

For the Blazer: A plain black civilian belt with conservative non-decorative type gold or silver buckle (not to exceed 2 inches in size) will be worn with trousers with belt loops.

For the Aviator Shirt, and Golf Shirt combinations: Must be worn with skirt or trousers/slacks with belt loops. Plain civilian black belt with conservative, non-decorative type gold or silver buckle, not to exceed 2 inches in size, will be worn.

The TPU uses the AF-style belt and buckle, and is not germane to this conversation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

drcomm

This was not a uniform belt buckle.  It was one to wear with jeans (civilian clothes).  As for the date, we had the catalog from the manufacturer and bought it new in 1981 or 1982.  The catalog had similar buckles with all of the services and other non-service wings.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

drcomm

I wonder if the "Black Van Folks" dispatched this manufacturer?????
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

LtCol White

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 04:49:10 AM
To the OP, would you happen to have your original uniform from when YWAC? (You Were A Cadet).  I would imagine you wearing this on the CAP corporate uniform or the AF blues which it doesn't say that you can wear the brass buckle however it doesn't say you can't either.

So I am curious, would it be "legal" to wear a vintage CAP uniform for unofficial purposes? I kind of like the old AF tan :).

Yes, there are times when it is ok to wear the historical uniforms. But they must be worn complete as they were when they were current. Occasionally you will see someone in the old WWII uniforms at special functions. This doesn't however, give license to wear them in place of normal current uniform wear.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SarDragon

Our PD guy in the wing generally wears one during an SLS or CLC class, and once in a while at wing conference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jpnelson82

To the OP, I do not believe this company exists anymore. The name does not appear on a yellowpages search, a search of the local Chamber of Commerce, or the Better Business Bureau. The likelihood of it being missed with all these searches is reasonable, but not overly good. You could pay to get a search of the PO Box and find out if it is still registered to that company.
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

drcomm

Quote from: jpnelson82 on April 12, 2008, 12:39:20 PM
To the OP, I do not believe this company exists anymore. The name does not appear on a yellowpages search, a search of the local Chamber of Commerce, or the Better Business Bureau. The likelihood of it being missed with all these searches is reasonable, but not overly good. You could pay to get a search of the PO Box and find out if it is still registered to that company.

I really did not expect to find the company after that many years but I was hoping someone had picked up his product line.  I thought someone may have seen the same design from a different manufacturer.   Like I said in the original post, I've had several folks ask me where I got mine and I'd like to help them find one.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Oil Well 767

Al Sayre

WIWAS (When I Was A Squid), decorative belt buckles for the web belts were pretty common.  You could get them with your stripes, station, ship, wings or other breast device at most of the uniform stores.  IIRC most were made by the Zippo lighter company.  They would probably make them for CAP if they got a large enough order from Vanguard or someone else...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 14, 2008, 12:06:32 PM
WIWAS (When I Was A Squid), decorative belt buckles for the web belts were pretty common.  You could get them with your stripes, station, ship, wings or other breast device at most of the uniform stores.  IIRC most were made by the Zippo lighter company.  They would probably make them for CAP if they got a large enough order from Vanguard or someone else...

We got most of ours in/from PI. Those were the days.

On a more serious note, the AF mentality isn't as loosey-goosey on "decorative" items as we were in the Navy. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything on an AF uniform that comes close to the stuff we wore on a daily basis.

Here are the two I could find:

I wore these with my utility uniform, and the USN equivalent of AF service uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Here's a link to a few, and If I get time I'll try and post some of mine if I can find them.

http://www.slomos-lighter.de/beltbuckle.htm

I went to the Zippo Corp website, but it looks like they don't make them anymore... 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787