New Achievement Award

Started by James Shaw, March 02, 2008, 08:57:31 PM

IceNine

Maybe I missed it somewhere but I can't find reference to this award in any official publication.  And even more so I cannot find any criteria proposed or otherwise.

Again I apologize if I missed it in the pile of posts on this thread
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: IceNine on July 20, 2008, 04:31:38 AM
Maybe I missed it somewhere but I can't find reference to this award in any official publication.  And even more so I cannot find any criteria proposed or otherwise.

Again I apologize if I missed it in the pile of posts on this thread

'Cause they haven't published the ICL yet; I'd figure it'll be out as soon as the National Boards are done.

Below is an excerpt from the February/March 2008 NB meeting minutes:

SUBJECT: Member Achievement Award
MD WG/CC - Col Weiss
INFORMATION BACKGROUND:

During recent discussions at a Unit Commander's Course, the concept of an award that is lower than a Commendation Award was discussed. Some attendees with prior military service noted that the armed services created an Achievement Medal which ranks below their Commendation Medals to fill this void. This award is intended to be approved at a level below the Wing Commander. For those Wings with Groups the Group Commander would be appropriate. For those without Groups the Wing Commander would designate signature authority (i.e. PD Officer for Officers and CP Officer for Cadets). The intent is for local commanders to propose an award for those members who consistently show outstanding achievement. A member even went so far as to create an example.

The United States Air Force awards those members who show outstanding performance with an Achievement Medal. This medal is given when the circumstances of the performance are above and beyond those of the member's peers, but are not sufficient enough to warrant a Commendation Medal which is awarded for higher service.

The intent of this award is to empower Wings and Group commanders with the ability to recommend and present achievement awards locally.

PROPOSED NATIONAL BOARD ACTION:

That the National Board approve the creation of a new member award, the Achievement Award, to recognize members who demonstrate outstanding performance. This award is to be approved at the Group level or in the absence of the Group structure by a Wing designated signature authority.

ESTIMATED FUNDING IMPACT:

To be determined.

CAP NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS' COMMENTS:

Concur.

CAP-USAF HEADQUARTERS' COMMENTS:

None.

ADVISOR / NATIONAL STAFF COMMENTS:

To be presented during the National Board meeting.

REGULATIONS AND FORMS AFFECTED:

CAPR 39-3, Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates; CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual

NATIONAL BOARD ACTION

COL WEISS/MD MOVED and COL EGRY/DE seconded the PROPOSED NATIONAL BOARD ACTION

COL WALLING/MER MOVED TO AMEND and COL JENSEN/CT seconded the amendment that by inclusion the sample provided in the agenda be the approved design.

THE AMENDMENT CARRIED

THE AMENDED MOTION CARRIED

FOLLOW-ON ACTION: Change to CAPR 39-3, Award OF CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates, and CAPM 39-1, Civil Air Patrol Uniform Manual.

The approved design, If I remember correctly is the design made by Col Blascovich and Maj Shaw at the top of this thread. Now if NHQ would get off their duffs and issue a revised 39-1 and 39-3 instead of ruling by ICL this would make things a whole lot easier on the membership.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

James Shaw

I wasnt directly of the award criteria but I believe that it is supposed to be available and approved at the unit level. it was intended to be used in place of some of the others so that "local" commaders had the say so and could do that immediately instead of having to wait.

I do not guarantee that but I believe that is it.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on July 20, 2008, 11:03:10 AM
I wasn't directly of the award criteria but I believe that it is supposed to be available and approved at the unit level. it was intended to be used in place of some of the others so that "local" commanders had the say so and could do that immediately instead of having to wait.

I do not guarantee that but I believe that is it.

The award is approved at the Group Level.

For those Wings without Groups, the Wing CC is to designate an approving authority - its in the text cited above.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

According to Suzy Parker the Achievement Award is authorized and can be submitted now. The certificates have been printed recently, but still not sent to the units. They're waiting for Vanguard to produce the ribbons.  If awarded the individual will have to wait for the ribbon and certificate.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

Not the kind of thing I'm going to jump all over.

At a minimum its nice to actually give someone the award they earned.

At the point where they actually become available, I may suggest a meeting between the other group CC's to try and get some level of consistency to the award.

The last thing we need is one giving them out like candy while the others are hard-nosed about them.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

^ I think we need to do this kind of thing anyway.  I think the majority of us can play nice, but there may be 1 or maybe 3 ;) that can't
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Major Carrales

From Wikipedia...

QuoteRibbon of Appreciation (Going Through Certification)
Awarded to Officers or Cadets for noticable duty performance where achievements and services are noticed by higher authority compared to others of like rank and responsibility. The Ribbon of Appreciation is to take place of the Certificate of Appreciation, and is awarded to those who have shown above the average service. Although it is currently going through National Headquarters for certification, it is awarded to those Officers and cadets that don't quite fit the qualifications for the Commander's Commendatino Award.

Any member may nominate deserving Cadets or Officers for the award, except that awards concerning commanders must be initiated at a higher command level. The nomination must be approved by the CAP Wing (State) Commander.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

That's not even right.

That's not what it is called, and it is approved by Group Commanders...   :-\

That page is a mess, bad grammar, bad spelling, incorrect information...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2008, 08:00:36 PM
That's not even right.

That's not what it is called, and it is approved by Group Commanders...   :-\

That page is a mess, bad grammar, bad spelling, incorrect information...

Thus, why I have posted it here.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Got it...

It needs a lot of work for those of who may be bored.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

'Twas no BFD editing the graphic... now if someone can edit the wiki page!

Until I see an actual ribbon, the khaki color is guesswork.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

James Shaw

The ribbon is behind schedule to be produced. The first attempt was bad and the color was off. Vanguard told me they were still working on it.
Jim Shaw

James Shaw

Does anyone have a picture of the actual ribbon and medal yet. I havent ordered mine yet?
Jim Shaw

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: caphistorian on November 04, 2008, 09:50:54 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the actual ribbon and medal yet. I havent ordered mine yet?

Someone here on CAPTalk mentioned that the certificate is now ready and being issued (someone have a picture of it?) and the ribbon and mini-medal can be ordered over the phone by Vanguard. It's not yet available online.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

Is there an ICL for CAPR 39-3 for it yet?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: O-Rex on November 04, 2008, 12:42:50 PM
Is there an ICL for CAPR 39-3 for it yet?

Nope. They'll change 60-1 six more times before 39-1 and 39-3 get a long-needed update!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

James Shaw

Finally got a picture of the Achievement Medal. We are in the process of talking to them because they forgot to put the words on the Planchet. They are kind of like MisStruck coins right now.

Jim Shaw

cnitas

Looking good.

Now...when will there be guidance on the actual award (ICL, 39-3 change, etc.)?
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

James Shaw

Quote from: cnitas on November 14, 2008, 06:20:03 PM
Looking good.

Now...when will there be guidance on the actual award (ICL, 39-3 change, etc.)?

I am not sure. The best description I can tell you is that it is similar in respect to a Commanders Comm but slightly less. Approving authority is Group Level. Go ahead a submit away.
Jim Shaw