New USAF Service Coat

Started by afgeo4, January 20, 2008, 03:59:37 AM

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 04, 2008, 09:33:43 PM
..........and horse cavalry and airplanes didn't seem to mix.

That would be an awesome sight to see....a horse with a parachute pushed out of a C-130.
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

Quote from: tjaxe on April 04, 2008, 07:40:16 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on March 30, 2008, 06:00:56 PM
5.......no necktie for women   

MikeyLikey,
Why no necktie for women?  I honestly don't mean this in any nasty kind of way, but, what's it to you?  Why does it matter to you if women wear the neck tie? Plenty of women wouldn't mind wearing the stuff the guys get to wear (yes, "GET" to wear) like pockets in shirts and tie tacks on ties, and all that stuff.  Maybe women should decide what should be worn for the women's uniform.  Just MHO.  :angel:

- Tracey

The AF is starting to move in that direction.

Women can wear the male flight cap and I think the Service Cap will be next.

afgeo4

I still don't like the belt.  Plus, the AF knows this is based on the "HAP" which was an Army uniform right??  For you AF folks, the AF Portal has a link to give your comments about all AF uniforms and a survey, if you haven't checked it, you should.  I would like to push my personal feelings if I could on those of you who may comment on it.  1....no belt!  2.....bring back the air corps branch insignia to the Officers uniform (thats historical right?)  3.... commissioning braid should be black.  4......perhaps re-introduce the braid to the officers pants (thats what was worn on this uniform in the 1940's)  5.......no necktie for women   6........make service cap mandatory for officers, flight cap for enlisted. 

Thats it.  I tried to "sneak" into the virtual uniform board, even put my CAC in like it told me too, but it came back and said "Not AUTH, non-AF MEM".  So maybe someone else can take my suggestions.

4.  The stripe on the pants is an Army tradition that dates back to when officers and others rode horses.  Having a stripe allowed the guys who were riding in LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers) to determine who was who.  Artillerymen, who were also mounted, wore red pants, and were called "Redlegs" as a result.  The AF dropped the trouser stripe because they wanted to start making thier own traditions, and horse cavalry and airplanes didn't seem to mix.

The commissioning stripe on pants isn't unique to the Army or to the United States military at all actually, so saying that it came from the US Army cavalry is somewhat inaccurate. Officers wear stripes on pants in most of the world's militaries and have for centuries. I don't know what the exact origin of this tradition is, but it simply cannot be the US cavalry. It's been around much longer than that.
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

As far as "bloodstripes" on pants is concerned:
The earliest recorded instance goes back to the middle ages where lords/knights would wear a stripe on their pants to distinguish themselves as knights (aka officers) when not wearing the armor.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 06, 2008, 05:38:10 AM
I still don't like the belt.  Plus, the AF knows this is based on the "HAP" which was an Army uniform right??  For you AF folks, the AF Portal has a link to give your comments about all AF uniforms and a survey, if you haven't checked it, you should.  I would like to push my personal feelings if I could on those of you who may comment on it.  1....no belt!  2.....bring back the air corps branch insignia to the Officers uniform (thats historical right?)  3.... commissioning braid should be black.  4......perhaps re-introduce the braid to the officers pants (thats what was worn on this uniform in the 1940's)  5.......no necktie for women   6........make service cap mandatory for officers, flight cap for enlisted. 

Thats it.  I tried to "sneak" into the virtual uniform board, even put my CAC in like it told me too, but it came back and said "Not AUTH, non-AF MEM".  So maybe someone else can take my suggestions.

4.  The stripe on the pants is an Army tradition that dates back to when officers and others rode horses.  Having a stripe allowed the guys who were riding in LPC's (Leather Personnel Carriers) to determine who was who.  Artillerymen, who were also mounted, wore red pants, and were called "Redlegs" as a result.  The AF dropped the trouser stripe because they wanted to start making thier own traditions, and horse cavalry and airplanes didn't seem to mix.

The commissioning stripe on pants isn't unique to the Army or to the United States military at all actually, so saying that it came from the US Army cavalry is somewhat inaccurate. Officers wear stripes on pants in most of the world's militaries and have for centuries. I don't know what the exact origin of this tradition is, but it simply cannot be the US cavalry. It's been around much longer than that.

I didn't say "US Army."  It is an Army tradition for the reason I stated.  Foot-mobile troops could identify horse-mounted leaders. Foreign armies needed to identify their horse-mounted leaders, too.
Another former CAP officer

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 05, 2008, 01:29:35 AM

That would be an awesome sight to see....a horse with a parachute pushed out of a C-130.
Wasn't there an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" with a plot like that? Oh, it was turkeys from a helicopter on Thanksgiving... for all you young ones... and newsman Les Nessman screaming, "Oh, the humanity!" from the mall parking lot where they fell.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RickFranz

On this uniform the USAF is trying to go back to it's roots,  I wonder if we too should go back to some of ours.  Given the fact that we are older than the AF, we should be able to come up with some kinda blast from the past that looks good on that kind of Coat.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RickFranz on April 06, 2008, 07:10:40 PM
On this uniform the USAF is trying to go back to it's roots,  I wonder if we too should go back to some of ours.  Given the fact that we are older than the AF, we should be able to come up with some kinda blast from the past that looks good on that kind of Coat.

Highly unlikely that'll happen. Unless they bring back wing patches...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BillB

CAP go back to it's roots in uniforms?  Which Army uniform are you referring to? Pinks and green? Khaki uniforms? 1505's. oh wait that was an Air Force uniform.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 06, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

No wing patches -- try the CAP patch, the round one from World War II that had the "CADET" tab below for cadets.

I personally hope they leave the existing service coat. There's nothing wrong with it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RickFranz

I think I remember seeing an older style of CAP Pilot wings and collar brass, things like that.  Look at the design and update it.  Things like that, I think we have enough uniforms without bringing back pinks or greens (although I really did enjoy wearing the 1505 in the summer in New Mexico). ;D ;D ;D
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

JayT

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 06, 2008, 09:12:35 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 06, 2008, 07:45:32 PM

No wing patches -- try the CAP patch, the round one from World War II that had the "CADET" tab below for cadets.

I personally hope they leave the existing service coat. There's nothing wrong with it.

Until they run out of supplies for it....
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 06, 2008, 04:49:17 PM

Wasn't there an episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" with a plot like that? Oh, it was turkeys from a helicopter on Thanksgiving... for all you young ones... and newsman Les Nessman screaming, "Oh, the humanity!" from the mall parking lot where they fell.

And... for the not-so-young-but-younger-than-me, Les Nessman's bit was a parody of the radio newsman who kept broadcasting during the Hindenburg disaster.

JohnKachenmeister

That was MY idea a few months back, Rick.

I suggested a "CAP Corporate Hap Arnold Heritage Uniform" since Hap Arnold was a part of our heritage too.  Make it a "Corporate" thread to replace the TPU, and make it sufficiently different from the AF version of the HAH uniform that they will buy into it as ours alone.  That way we would really return to our roots, with CAP wearing a modified version of the USAF uniform, and our meetings would no longer look like NATO conferences.

But, I would hate to give up the TPU.  I wear it around and talk with a funny accent hoping I will run into a CIA or State Department guy who will give me foreign aid thinking I'm a third-world dictator.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 06, 2008, 04:49:17 PM

You are correct.  Les Nesman didn't know turkeys don't fly, and released them from an airplane as some sort of publicity stunt.  If I recall correctly he was broadcasting from his news scooter.  That was good TV.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 07, 2008, 01:10:25 AM

I suggested a "CAP Corporate Hap Arnold Heritage Uniform" since Hap Arnold was a part of our heritage too.  Make it a "Corporate" thread to replace the TPU, and make it sufficiently different from the AF version of the HAH uniform that they will buy into it as ours alone.  That way we would really return to our roots, with CAP wearing a modified version of the USAF uniform, and our meetings would no longer look like NATO conferences.

But, I would hate to give up the TPU.  I wear it around and talk with a funny accent hoping I will run into a CIA or State Department guy who will give me foreign aid thinking I'm a third-world dictator.

All you need is a swagger stick and a pencil-thin moustache.  :D

GC

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Gunner C on April 07, 2008, 01:16:53 PM

GC

And what makes ju tink we don' have such things?  We are a poor country, but we have our pride.  I have a swagger stick and even the peasants can afford such moustaches!

But enough of this... I have a busy schedule today denying people their human rights.

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 07, 2008, 09:13:59 PM

GC

And what makes ju tink we don' have such things?  We are a poor country, but we have our pride.  I have a swagger stick and even the peasants can afford such moustaches!

But enough of this... I have a busy schedule today denying people their human rights.

Güt gemacht!  Machen wir weiter!  (oops) No hay problema. ;D

GC

JayT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 07, 2008, 09:13:59 PM

GC

Major, it might just be the heavy medication, but I think that's possibly one of the funniest posts I've read on this forum.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

maybe we can keep the entire uniform the same, but have the jacket made in khaki as a corporate uniform. Wear it with CAP insignia instead of US and ta-da! Historic, yet concurrent with the Air Force. Not such a bad look with blue pants either.
GEORGE LURYE