New USAF Service Coat

Started by afgeo4, January 20, 2008, 03:59:37 AM

JohnKachenmeister

Khaki jacket with blue pants?

Are you drunk or do you live in Greenwich Village?
Another former CAP officer

SarDragon

Nah, he's probably been eating those "special" Rice Krispie Treats again.  :D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 13, 2008, 07:01:34 AM
maybe we can keep the entire uniform the same, but have the jacket made in khaki as a corporate uniform. Wear it with CAP insignia instead of US and ta-da! Historic, yet concurrent with the Air Force. Not such a bad look with blue pants either.

I don't think that color combination would carry a positive image.  It's been done.

We should be careful of what we do with uniforms.  They're not always a good thing.

GC

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Gunner C on April 13, 2008, 01:31:34 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 13, 2008, 07:01:34 AM
maybe we can keep the entire uniform the same, but have the jacket made in khaki as a corporate uniform. Wear it with CAP insignia instead of US and ta-da! Historic, yet concurrent with the Air Force. Not such a bad look with blue pants either.

I don't think that color combination would carry a positive image.  It's been done.

We should be careful of what we do with uniforms.  They're not always a good thing.

GC

Hey...

Hitler's wearing a TPU!

Goring is fat, but in Regular Luftwaffe uniform!

No wonder they lost!
Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 13, 2008, 02:07:37 PMHey...

Hitler's wearing a TPU!

Goring is fat, but in Regular Luftwaffe uniform!

Not quite... Göring is wearing the unique Reichsmarschall des Grossdeutschen Reiches uniform. He stopped wearing regular Luftwaffe service dress when he got promoted to Reichsmarschall in 1940. (Göring's confiscated Reichsmarschall's baton and staff are now at the West Point museum.)

Hitler's wearing his wartime service uniform he adopted in 1939 at the outbreak of WWII. Note the casual pose of Hitler - he's bracing his right arm so as to not make his Parkinson's disease obvious.

Martin Bormann (right) is wearing SS service dress. From looking at Bormann's SS collar rank patches the picture must have been taken around 1943 or 1944. (The oakleaves on SS general ranks were made more angular.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

Why does everything here seem to migrate to being about the SS, or the Nazis, or Germany? 
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

afgeo4

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 13, 2008, 08:04:39 AM
Khaki jacket with blue pants?

Are you drunk or do you live in Greenwich Village?

2 birthday parties in one day... I actually was drunk. I don't live in Greenwich Village! I'm a Brooklyn boy!
GEORGE LURYE

Gunner C

Quote from: MIKE on April 13, 2008, 04:34:29 PM
Godwin's Law.

I wasn't trying to degenerate the discussion into a "you're a Nazi . . ."  I was just showing that our uniform designs haven't been particularly well thought through - and the two color suggestion was a pretty good opportunity to show how easily it can go badly.  I have too many relatives who got turned into lamp shades to take the "nazi card" lightly.  I was just making a point.

GC

JayT

Quote from: Gunner C on April 13, 2008, 06:39:37 PM
Godwin's Law.

I wasn't trying to degenerate the discussion into a "you're a Nazi . . ."  I was just showing that our uniform designs haven't been particularly well thought through - and the two color suggestion was a pretty good opportunity to show how easily it can go badly.  I have too many relatives who got turned into lamp shades to take the "nazi card" lightly.  I was just making a point.

GC

Yeah......that's a poor rationalization.......
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

ColonelJack

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 13, 2008, 02:25:18 PM
Hitler's wearing his wartime service uniform he adopted in 1939 at the outbreak of WWII. Note the casual pose of Hitler - he's bracing his right arm so as to not make his Parkinson's disease obvious.

Actually, that picture was taken later in the day of July 20, 1944, when Count von Stauffenberg's bomb attempt on Hitler's life took place.  Look closely at the Fuehrer's left hand and you'll see a bandage; he had one placed on his hand after the bomb attack.  Yes, Hitler did have Parkinson's disease, but that day he was more shook up by the bomb under the table than by the other shakes.

As for Goering, he is indeed wearing his Reichsmarschall's uniform.  And Bormann's uniform has a white armband on the left sleeve (you can't see it because it's behind him) signifying Bormann was an honorary SS general rather than a real one.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Gunner C

Quote from: JThemann on April 13, 2008, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: Gunner C on April 13, 2008, 06:39:37 PM
Godwin's Law.

GC

Yeah......that's a poor rationalization.......

That's not a rationalization.  That's the truth.  If you're accusing me of prevarication, then we have a larger problem.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Gunner C on April 13, 2008, 11:42:53 PM
................If you're accusing me of prevarication..........

Why must so many people use words I have to go look up in a dictionary??

For those of you also confused by todays word (prevarication), prevarication means
get out of telling truth: to avoid giving a direct and honest answer or opinion, or a clear and truthful account of a situation, especially by quibbling or being deliberately ambiguous or misleading

Back to the Service Coat........
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

All I want to know is this: will the uniform shop at the exchange allow me to trade in my current Service Dress for this new edition?

I only wear it once a month (so any servicibility clause would see me in the current uniform through until Im old enough to retire)

and it would seem ashame for the amount that I spent on it.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JayT

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 14, 2008, 07:01:21 AM
All I want to know is this: will the uniform shop at the exchange allow me to trade in my current Service Dress for this new edition?

I only wear it once a month (so any servicibility clause would see me in the current uniform through until Im old enough to retire)

and it would seem ashame for the amount that I spent on it.

I......don't think so.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

According to AF Times, all work on the new AF heritage coat has been put on the backburner in favor of fixing issues with various combat and work-related uniforms. 

biomed441

Good for them. Means we CAP'ers get to save our money a little longer.  I just got my current blue suit coat. I'm not about to fork over another 100+ on one of these... Though I'll admit I do like them to some extent.

O-Rex

Quote from: RiverAux on May 17, 2009, 02:47:57 PM
According to AF Times, all work on the new AF heritage coat has been put on the backburner in favor of fixing issues with various combat and work-related uniforms.

Holy common-sense, Batman!

I'm kind of hoping that ABU version 2 is out by the time we are auth'd to wear them.

Anyone seen the new JSF flight suit? it's essentially the same, save for the omission of the knife pocket on the leg, and some kind of lanyard-rig for the pilot's arms so they don't flail about during ejection.  It's also made from a new weave of nomex, more microfiber-like that resists abrasion and pilling.

The basic design of 'Bag' has remained virtually unchanged for 50 years; tells you something, doesn't it?

Gunner C

Quote from: O-Rex on May 18, 2009, 12:09:40 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on May 17, 2009, 02:47:57 PM

Holy common-sense, Batman!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

notaNCO forever

A dress coat isn't as important as fixing problems in a utility uniform :o.