Recruiting Ribbon

Started by Senior, January 19, 2008, 04:40:22 AM

Senior

WIWAC myself(cadet at the time) and one Senior member started a new
squadron.  I went to the local junior high school to recruit.  Twenty cadets
joined initially, do those numbers transfer to the senior recruiting ribbon? ;D

lordmonar

On first thought....no....recruits (adults or minors) recruited by a cadet count toward the CADET RIBBON.

YMMV
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Do you have paperwork that proves you were cited as the one most responsible?

Quote from: CAPR 39-3(2) Senior Ribbon. Awarded to senior
members who recruit seven new qualified cadets or
senior members for CAP. A bronze clasp is awarded
for each additional 10 members recruited. A
silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze
clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is
awarded. An additional silver clasp is awarded
for each additional 50 members recruited.
Members recruited as a cadet may be included in
determining entitlement in the case of senior members
who were former cadets.

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

Senior

WIWAC, if I remember correctly, time accumulated for additional clasp for the Red Service Ribbon had to be continuous.  If I read CAPR 39-3 correctly
the time accumulated does not have to be continuous.   Have revisions
been made to 39-3 regarding the Red Service Ribbon? :P

Senior

Do you receive one additional bronze propeller clasp for each encampment
after you receive the Encampment Ribbon?

Can you wear the Encampment Ribbon, earned as cadet, as Senior Member?  CAPR39-3 isn't clear on this ribbon.

CAPR39-3 isn't very clear using the term "subsequent" awards. Once again,WIWAC, I think you had to attend so many encampments to add an additional clasp.

Gunner C

My understanding is that you can continue to wear your encampment ribbon.  I wear one with 3 clasps on it.  No one has ever said anything.  (I'm proud to have been able to have gone to 4 encampments in three years back in the days when they were two weeks long.) 

WIWAC, you got a clasp for each subsequent encampment.  I don't think the reg actually has to specify each award that can be awarded multiple times.  I think it would be better to specify which ones are a "one time only."

GC

MIKE

Can I wear X ribbon I earned as a cadet topics merged.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^ How do you get an X ribbon?  Is that some secret "Project X"?  I know it's that ribbon you are awarded, but can't wear becasue it is top-secret??
What's up monkeys?

cnitas

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 19, 2008, 05:55:44 PM
^ How do you get an X ribbon?  Is that some secret "Project X"?  I know it's that ribbon you are awarded, but can't wear becasue it is top-secret??

I got one of those with gold star for the Blair-Witch mission back in '96.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

afgeo4

Quote from: Senior on January 19, 2008, 02:50:28 PM
Do you receive one additional bronze propeller clasp for each encampment
after you receive the Encampment Ribbon?

Can you wear the Encampment Ribbon, earned as cadet, as Senior Member?  CAPR39-3 isn't clear on this ribbon.

CAPR39-3 isn't very clear using the term "subsequent" awards. Once again,WIWAC, I think you had to attend so many encampments to add an additional clasp.
According to 39-3, the encampment ribbon may be worn by members who attended encampment as cadets and who served as encampment staff as senior members. If the award is given to both, cadets and seniors, and is authorized by both, cadets and seniors, then the award can be carried over.

Furthermore, it specifies that clasps are worn for additional awards, not bronze propellers. Clasps are those tiny bronze triangle things, the CAP equivalent of bronze oak clusters in military.
GEORGE LURYE

Senior

I just figured out the MODERANGER flash  ;D
I called the triangle things propeller clasp because they have a little
propeller on them.  I forgot that we have separate propeller clasp for
the aircrew folks.  MY BAD
I am asking all these questions because I am trying to make a shadow
box for my remaining cadet items that weren't stolen. :D

afgeo4

Quote from: Senior on January 19, 2008, 11:51:20 PM
I just figured out the MODERANGER flash  ;D
I called the triangle things propeller clasp because they have a little
propeller on them.  I forgot that we have separate propeller clasp for
the aircrew folks.  MY BAD
I am asking all these questions because I am trying to make a shadow
box for my remaining cadet items that weren't stolen. :D
You mean permanently borrowed?

A Cadet shall neither lie nor steal or cheat!
GEORGE LURYE

Senior

Hey afgeo4 what does your response mean?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Senior on January 30, 2008, 11:02:26 PM
Hey afgeo4 what does your response mean?

A snippet of the cadet honor code: "We will not lie, steal or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does."

Remember, stuff ain't 'stolen'; its 'liberated', 'requisitioned', 'permanently borrowed and never returned...'  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Flying Pig

Quote from: Senior on January 19, 2008, 04:40:22 AM

Hmmmm, I actually hadn't thought about that.  2 other members and I spent an entire day last week at a High School JROTC unit recruiting and presenting CAP to the JROTC unit.  I was amazed at how many had never heard of CAP even though there are CAP Ribbons authorized on AFJROTC uniforms.
So since it takes 7 members to join for a Senior Recruiting Ribbon, if these kids start joining, the I would say the guy who was responsible to setting up the talk initially should get the first pickings towards the 7.  Then, since two other members also did a lot of leg work and were large part of the presentation and also responsible for causing people to join, I would direct any further new member credits towards them, unless the new member specifically stated he had been recruited by some other means. If you start doing a lot of these drives, it could get confusing.   Being that I am one of the "other two"  and now the Sq. Commander, I would make sure the other member got his 7 before I started taking credit for any.

Mass recruiting drives are an odd animal in that regard.  I think a lot of personal judgement and integrity comes into play with awarding the ribbon and/or taking credit for one.  Being responsible for getting 7 members into CAP is no small feat!

As far as your initial question, Unless the regs are specific, I would see it as once you turn Senior, you start over with 0.

DC

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 31, 2008, 05:16:24 PM

Hmmmm, I actually hadn't thought about that.  2 other members and I spent an entire day last week at a High School JROTC unit recruiting and presenting CAP to the JROTC unit.  I was amazed at how many had never heard of CAP even though there are CAP Ribbons authorized on AFJROTC uniforms.
So since it takes 7 members to join for a Senior Recruiting Ribbon, if these kids start joining, the I would say the guy who was responsible to setting up the talk initially should get the first pickings towards the 7.  Then, since two other members also did a lot of leg work and were large part of the presentation and also responsible for causing people to join, I would direct any further new member credits towards them, unless the new member specifically stated he had been recruited by some other means. If you start doing a lot of these drives, it could get confusing.   Being that I am one of the "other two"  and now the Sq. Commander, I would make sure the other member got his 7 before I started taking credit for any.

Mass recruiting drives are an odd animal in that regard.  I think a lot of personal judgement and integrity comes into play with awarding the ribbon and/or taking credit for one.  Being responsible for getting 7 members into CAP is no small feat!

As far as your initial question, Unless the regs are specific, I would see it as once you turn Senior, you start over with 0.
I would just take the number of new members and devide it by the number of people who staffed the recruiting drive. It's easy and reasonably fair. If you get less people to join then members you had there then the members who did the most work on the ones that joined should get credit.

And here's an interesting hypothetical: If a person cames to a meeting (be it out of curiosity or whatever) and is unsure of whether to join or not and a member works with them during the meeting and convinces them to join; should the cadet get recruiting credit?

Flying Pig

On the face of it, I would say not.  More than likely the cadet was probably assigned to talk to the new guy by the nature of holding a staff position.  Nobody is going to allow C/B Smith to jump up out of class and spend the rest of the night working towards his Recruiting Ribbon.  Otherwise, the next kid who walks in is going to get tackled by every cadet wanting a Recruiting Ribbon. 
The cadet obviously heard about CAP through some other means. At that point, the Squadron atmosphere itself was probably a big factor in the cadet deciding to join.  I think it to rate the ribbon, you need to be the major initiating factor in the whole process.  Being the cadet at school who actually talked your buddy into coming out, etc.  A kid showing up with his parents and a cadet explaining the program I don't think qualifies.

afgeo4

Quote from: Delta Charlie on January 31, 2008, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 31, 2008, 05:16:24 PM

I would just take the number of new members and devide it by the number of people who staffed the recruiting drive. It's easy and reasonably fair. If you get less people to join then members you had there then the members who did the most work on the ones that joined should get credit.

And here's an interesting hypothetical: If a person cames to a meeting (be it out of curiosity or whatever) and is unsure of whether to join or not and a member works with them during the meeting and convinces them to join; should the cadet get recruiting credit?
Oh I dunno... what does your sense of integrity tell you?
GEORGE LURYE

stratoflyer

I know it's an old topic but...

I've been putting my name on the applications for those cadets that I've recruited. But one application was sent in without my name. And it's been a slow process so I think there's one cadet who I recorded who I don't remember.

So how do I get the paperwork proving I recruited a certain member? And just to make sure, the recruiting ribbon is recorded on a CAPF 2a right?
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: stratoflyer on February 13, 2009, 07:46:41 PM
I know it's an old topic but...

I've been putting my name on the applications for those cadets that I've recruited. But one application was sent in without my name. And it's been a slow process so I think there's one cadet who I recorded who I don't remember.

So how do I get the paperwork proving I recruited a certain member? And just to make sure, the recruiting ribbon is recorded on a CAPF 2a right?

There's no burden of proof.  I don't think the member has to have your name on their CAPF 12 or 15 for you to be able to claim them; there are instances where they forget or whatever.  That's not a regulatory requirement.

For my recruiter ribbon, I just listed the names and CAPIDs of the individuals I recruited in the remarks section of the CAPF 2A requesting the award. The commander signing the CAPF 2A is essentially certifying that your list is true and accurate, and therefore you are eligible for the award.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP