Photoshop Procedure Advice

Started by a2capt, October 25, 2007, 02:35:38 AM

a2capt

I know there's a couple of ya'll in here..

I have a character set- in a single 1024 wide image. I want to separate them all out.

Is there a plugin that allows the current selected area to be saved as a new file. Not save the selection route itself to the alpha channel.  But instead of selecting, copy, new document, paste, save, close document, move selection, repeat. ... Gotta do this like 200 times.

Probably could have done it by now, too...

Walkman

Got an idea, but first-
Are all the characters about the same dimensions?
What version of PS are you using?

a2capt

More or less, the same width, within 4 pixels. 18-22 with most being 20- and thats part of the problem. Hence the save selection as opposed to just chopping with a grid. Or using something like ScanFont. I don't want to end up with a non-proportional 'font' due to excessive spacing when the original use is proportional to a specific degree. A few of them are also 10 pixels. 

The end result will be a php and perl script. Two different applications, and since php does not appear to take command line arguments where as perl can do it, I wish to have command shell ability and will fiddle with web generation via dynamic use for variable data on the screen as well as fixed values, by using gd from php.

Photoshop is CS3, Mac OS X.

Pylon

What about defining slices and then exporting it all at once to multiple image files?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BigMojo

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Walkman

Two way I can think of to do this.

1. If you make the selection of the precise area, then Command-Click on that selection and do NEW LAYER from the menu. You can name the Layer what you want the new file to be called. Once you have all the layers defined, the go to FILE>SCRIPTS>EXPORT LAYERS TO FILES.

And 2:
Quote from: Pylon on October 25, 2007, 07:31:14 PM
What about defining slices and then exporting it all at once to multiple image files?

That was my other idea: to basically chop it up with slices and the do a SAVE FOR WEB. Then each slice goes to it's own image file, but since not all the characters are the same dimensions, that might be a pain to draw the slices.

a2capt

Quote from: BigMojo on October 25, 2007, 07:54:55 PM

* a2capt whips out the quicker-picker-upper ...

.. well, the screen is clean now  ;)

That graphic somehow just made me crack up and the soda.. well.. anyhow, slices? Gee? umm...  :-[

Somehow I never messed with ImageReady and never messed with the slice tool, in all these years, it's like right there in front of me, and I figured the slice tool was a virtual thing for visualization. Ugh. Then maybe it wouldn't have been called *slice* tool..

Quote from: Walkman on October 25, 2007, 08:02:19 PM
1. If you make the selection of the precise area, then Command-Click on that selection and do NEW LAYER from the menu. You can name the Layer what you want the new file to be called. Once you have all the layers defined, the go to FILE>SCRIPTS>EXPORT LAYERS TO FILES.

..and now thats interesting .. export layers to files, guess I never went exploring on that menu enough, either. Ugh.

Learn something new... everyday.

Good deal. :)

Thanks!

floridacyclist

Paint Shop Pro will let you copy then paste as a new image. Might be worth a download or even buying an older version. I still use it alongside PS for lots of stuff that PS simply can't do as well.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Walkman

Quote from: a2capt on October 25, 2007, 08:38:59 PM

Somehow I never messed with ImageReady and never messed with the slice tool, in all these years, it's like right there in front of me, and I figured the slice tool was a virtual thing for visualization. Ugh. Then maybe it wouldn't have been called *slice* tool..

I'm glad that ImageReady is gone. It's much easier to do everything in the same app.

Slice tool is pretty easy to use. PM me if you want some tips.