goodsearch.com Donate "Free" money to Civil Air Patrol

Started by Capt Rivera, September 14, 2007, 02:47:07 PM

Capt Rivera

Civil Air Patrol can earn a penny every time you search the Internet or shop online?

GoodSearch.com is a  search engine that donates half its revenue, about a penny per search, to the charities its users designate. You use it just as you would any search engine, and it's powered by Yahoo!, so you get great results.

You don't need to sign up and the website even remembers your charity selection until you hit the clear button. Civil Air Patrol is listed under both its full name and "CAP". [easier to find by using full name] Since CAP was listed on the site it has received $159.74. I truly believe this is a easy way to increase funds coming in at the national level.

Just go to www.goodsearch.com and be sure to enter Civil Air Patrol as the charity you want to support. And, be sure to spread the word because the more member using this site, the more "free" money we bring into CAP.

Thanks for your time & Comments...

~~~

For Immediate Release:

DOING GOOD, ONE SEARCH AT A TIME

New Yahoo-Powered Search Engine Helps Fund Charities & Schools. 

40,000+ Nonprofits Seek Share of $8 Billion Internet Ad Revenue (100+ New Charities Registering Daily).

Los Angeles, CA, 2007 -- What if even a fraction of the $8 billion generated by search engine advertisers* was distributed to organizations trying to make the world a better place?

That is the concept behind a new search engine, developed by Internet entrepreneurs and brother sister team Ken and JJ Ramberg.  GoodSearch.com – powered by Yahoo – donates 50% of its revenue, approximately a penny per search, to the charities designated by its users.  You use it exactly as you would any other search engine and the pennies add up quickly – just 500 people searching four times a day will earn around $7,300 in a year!

More than 40,000 nonprofits are now actively generating revenue via the site and more than 100 new charities and schools are registering daily.  GoodSearch has quickly spread via word-of-mouth and the blogger community.  For example:

•   The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation has earned more than $4,500.

•   The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee, the country's largest habitat refuge for endangered elephants has raised over $4,300.

•   The Bubel/Aiken Foundation which supports children with disabilities increased from 431 searches in April to 25,000 in September.  To date, it's earned more than $4,200.

The site is also quickly gaining traction on college campuses, often a leading indicator of technological trends.

•   The Penn State Dance Marathon, which helps thousands of children and families fight pediatric caner, has raised over $3,200 and is widely promoting the site on campus.

Internet users have found GoodSearch to be a compelling idea.  Lisa Perry, an attorney  in Los Angeles, uses GoodSearch as many as 10 times a day in support of Heal the Bay, a nonprofit that helps preserve coastal waters from polluters.  "Why wouldn't you use it?" asks Perry.

Using GoodSearch is simple. Because the site is powered by Yahoo, users are assured of high quality results - but each time you search, money is generated by the advertisers for your favorite charity or school. 

"We know there are a lot of people who want to do good but may not have the time or the money to help out." said Ken Ramberg, Co-Founder of GoodSearch and former President of MonsterTRAK, the largest online career site for college students (now a division of Monster.com). "GoodSearch makes it as easy as possible.  We've taken something people do every day -- searching the Internet -- and have turned it into doing good."

###
For press inquiries, contact:
Ken Ramberg
Co-Founder, GoodSearch
(877) 466-3004 ext. 701
ken.ramberg@goodsearch.com

* Source: Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

isuhawkeye

um lots of questions here. 

First of all who set this up, and what CAP gets the money?

Snake Doctor

Good Search is already donating money to C.A.P.  It goes to the Johnson Flight Encampment.   Unfortunately that's the only "unit" that can participate as it was first.  Unless each unit or activity can be it's own 501c3 organization rather than C.A.P. being a blanket 501c3 for every unit.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Snake Doctor on September 14, 2007, 03:45:03 PM
Good Search is already donating money to C.A.P.  It goes to the Johnson Flight Encampment.   Unfortunately that's the only "unit" that can participate as it was first.  Unless each unit or activity can be it's own 501c3 organization rather than C.A.P. being a blanket 501c3 for every unit.

Where did you get your info from & is that still current? Do you know the POC who initially set the account up? None is listed on the website. The listing on the website makes it seem as if National get the monies and can do what it likes...

select Civil air patrol from the list and click "amount raised"
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Snake Doctor

It is current.  I was on the phone with someone from Good Search yesterday seeing if I could get my Group listed but alas no.

The POC is Lt Col Rick Oeth, IL Wing Chief of Staff.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

isuhawkeye

thats a little shady,

representing the entire entity of CAP to fund a niche program.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

pixelwonk

I don't think there was any malice involved.  Probably a misunderstanding of the Goodsearch Policies before registering I'd bet.
meh.  I'm sticking to google anyway.    Cannot.Resist.Hive.Mind... :)

Snake Doctor

The thought was to find ways to raise money for the encampment.  Good Search was found.  Nothing shady was intended.  It's that way Good search is set up.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Capt Rivera

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 14, 2007, 04:09:36 PM
thats a little shady,

representing the entire entity of CAP to fund a niche program.

Quote from: Snake Doctor on September 14, 2007, 04:03:10 PM
It is current.  I was on the phone with someone from Good Search yesterday seeing if I could get my Group listed but alas no.

The POC is Lt Col Rick Oeth, IL Wing Chief of Staff.

Snake your right...  I was just on the phone with Lt Col Oeth. Hes a cool guy with good intentions. Encampments are open to everyone in CAP so this does help National y. [Encampments also produce good PR].

I wish I was correct with my 1st statement... but I do feel helping reduce the cost of a flight encampment is a good enough cause. hope others feel the same... http://jfe.ilwg.cap.gov/

Not shady at all. GoodSearch only allows the national level i assume because the logistics it would take to warehouse all the data and write all the checks etc for all the wing/squadron level activities of CAP, boy/girl/cub scouts, red cross etc... Because of this National directed that the Civil Air Patrol's National address be used and funds are just routed to the encampment.

If anyone works for Microsoft or other companies that donate money to volunteer organizations based on hours spent by employees volunteering... the money goes to the National level [highest level] and National then disperses it as the employee requests (usually squadron level.)

Hope this helps...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

LtCol Hooligan

Quote from: riveraj on September 14, 2007, 04:23:15 PM

If anyone works for Microsoft or other companies that donate money to volunteer organizations based on hours spent by employees volunteering... the money goes to the National level [highest level] and National then disperses it as the employee requests (usually squadron level.)

Actually, Microsoft donates money direct to the squadron the employee designates.  There are at least 3 squadrons listed in the volunteering site to choose from and employees can add other squadrons to the list as they see fit.  That means a check comes directly to the squadron.  The squadron then deposites the money into WBS.  This money never goes through NHQ and is then routed to the squadron.  We use the normal 501c3 number when we set it up and this works to get the money at the local level vs being squirled away to purchase paint for a plane somewhere.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
http://www.ndcap.us

Capt Rivera

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on September 14, 2007, 06:20:26 PM
Quote from: riveraj on September 14, 2007, 04:23:15 PM

Actually, Microsoft donates money direct to the squadron the employee designates.  There are at least 3 squadrons listed in the volunteering site to choose from and employees can add other squadrons to the list as they see fit.  That means a check comes directly to the squadron.  The squadron then deposites the money into WBS.  This money never goes through NHQ and is then routed to the squadron.  We use the normal 501c3 number when we set it up and this works to get the money at the local level vs being squirled away to purchase paint for a plane somewhere.

same idea spoken more accurately from a MS employee. I believe the point was still made, theres no wrong doing going on....
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

RiverAux

Coast Guard Aux was set up on goodsearch (entire organization) a while ago.  The last time I checked it was bringing in a whopping $20 a month, apparently because very few CG Aux folks were using it. 

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on September 14, 2007, 06:38:51 PM
Coast Guard Aux was set up on goodsearch (entire organization) a while ago.  The last time I checked it was bringing in a whopping $20 a month, apparently because very few CG Aux folks were using it. 

Thats sad... but $20x12 = 240... Personally I wouldn't mind a extra $240/year ... Do you use it? Did CG AUX actively try to get its members/supporters to use it? do they have it on their website, etc....

any other "free money" ideas?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

MIKE

Quote from: riveraj on September 14, 2007, 09:55:25 PM
Did CG AUX actively try to get its members/supporters to use it? do they have it on their website, etc....

Yes, I think it is included on some web pages and gets advertised in some of the e-mailings I get. 
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Thats $240 for the ENTIRE CG Aux. for a year.  Probably falls in the category of "not worth the effort to cash the check". 

RiverAux

I checked and it is more like $12-14/month now.  Since the CG Aux started it in March, 2006 they're raised $409 and lately have been averaging only about 1200-1500 searches per month. 

I actually have it set as a search toolbar, but have problems keeping the CG Aux as the designated charity and it ends up using the search feature without going to any organization in particular. 

Capt Rivera

Quote from: RiverAux on September 15, 2007, 04:04:28 PM
I checked and it is more like $12-14/month now.  Since the CG Aux started it in March, 2006 they're raised $409 and lately have been averaging only about 1200-1500 searches per month. 

I actually have it set as a search toolbar, but have problems keeping the CG Aux as the designated charity and it ends up using the search feature without going to any organization in particular. 

do you delete your cookies regularly? deleting the cookie set by goodsearch will cause you to have to reset your selection.

CG AUX seems cool... to say the least... to bad theres not much water in ND... I think the closest Flotilla is 60 or more miles away...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander