Main Menu

CAP Resume

Started by IceNine, September 06, 2007, 05:48:12 PM

IceNine

Anyone have a template for a good CAP resume?  I've never been good at these things, and I would rather my writing skilz not be the reason I get passed up.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

For a CAP promotion, personal resume? What?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Just for CAP, Wing jobs and such...

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

I don't have a Template to say but more of a form.
Header
     Name
     Contact information
Objective:
      State what you want to the resume to do: IE Group ESO, CommO Etc.
Duties:
       What jobs you have filled, and how long
Leadership:
   Teach classes/ sessions etc.
Training:
   Ratings:
         Put actual Qualified Skills GTM, MS, MRO etc.
    Courses:
           SLS, CLC, ICS, CAP Scanner, Observer, etc
Missions:
     How many and type
Awards:
         Find, Save, COA, CC, etc

Just remember to keep it simple and easy to read.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mfd1506 on September 06, 2007, 05:48:12 PM
Anyone have a template for a good CAP resume?  I've never been good at these things, and I would rather my writing skilz not be the reason I get passed up.

There IS a format for a military biographical statement, but a lot of it would not be applicable to CAP.  You could modify most of it, however, if you wanted to follow it.  Drop me your regular e-mail address in a PM and I'll attach mine by return mail.
Another former CAP officer

AlphaSigOU

Attached is my 'official' biography in the format preferred for military biographies.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 07, 2007, 01:56:14 AM
Attached is my 'official' biography in the format preferred for military biographies.

"CAP Red Service Ribbon with two bronze triangular clasps"

Shouldn't that actually be a "10", not two clasps?

Also, as a general point of suggestion, I usually tell people to take photographs which just snip the grade and are above the ribbon line so they age better.

Otherwise, I am stealing this format.  Is it really referred to as a Biography?

"That Others May Zoom"

pixelwonk

there is no "10."  You can affix up to three clasps for 15 yrs, then replace with a 20

BillB

It's new,   It's new.   Tedda has a Portal Person with eyes and even teeth. What will he come up with next?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: tedda on September 07, 2007, 02:34:17 AM
there is no "10."  You can affix up to three clasps for 15 yrs, then replace with a 20

Nertz!  I would swear I've seen a 10, you are, of course, correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on September 07, 2007, 02:43:12 AM
It's new,   It's new.   Tedda has a Portal Person with eyes and even teeth. What will he come up with next?

Is that from the "build your own Simpsons character?  I took a shot at that sight for the same use, but it required a bunch of reg info, and then it didn't like my browser and I got distracted by something shiny.

Nice job.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARMedTech

Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2007, 02:14:42 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 07, 2007, 01:56:14 AM

"CAP Red Service Ribbon with two bronze triangular clasps"

Shouldn't that actually be a "10", not two clasps?

Also, as a general point of suggestion, I usually tell people to take photographs which just snip the grade and are above the ribbon line so they age better.

Otherwise, I am stealing this format.  Is it really referred to as a Biography?

Militarily and academically it is formally called a curriculum vitae...often referred to as a CV. Also after your name, and contact information and objective, the next section is usually your education and/or training. Most folks take about 9 seconds to read your CV and what they really want to know if they are thinking of you for a job or other position is whether or not you have the formal training. If not, it usually just goes in the circular file.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on September 07, 2007, 02:59:20 AMMost folks take about 9 seconds to read your CV and what they really want to know if they are thinking of you for a job or other position is whether or not you have the formal training. If not, it usually just goes in the circular file.

This CV he's asking about is specifically for CAP.  I can say with confidence that no matter what job he is or may apply for, he'll be 1 of no more than 3 applicants.  Chances are, they'll spend more than 9 seconds.  My wing made me submit a resume for squadron commander when everyone knew I was the only one to apply.  In CAP it's not so much as "who wants the job" as it is "who will take the job".
Serving since 1987.

pixelwonk

Quote from: Eclipse on September 07, 2007, 02:52:39 AM
Quote from: BillB on September 07, 2007, 02:43:12 AM

Is that from the "build your own Simpsons character?  I took a shot at that sight for the same use, but it required a bunch of reg info, and then it didn't like my browser and I got distracted by something shiny.

Nice job.

[drift]
Yup.  Modded in PS of course for CAP regalia
Strange, it didn't make me register to download the image.  Only to save the original to the site, which I wasn't about to do.
[/drift]

Capt Rivera

Anyone have the posted bio template (example) in a editable format?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

IceNine

I took some creative licensing with it, and you probably should to.

Copy, paste to word.  Edit away.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

SarDragon

Wow, a three year, four month bump!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Quote from: SarDragon on January 13, 2011, 07:50:20 AM
Wow, a three year, four month bump!

Why not, people get harassed all the time about creating new threads when one already exists on a topic although it might be outdated.

jimmydeanno

The only thing annoying about old thread bumps is people who feel the need to put a post, that contributes nothing, about the length of time the thread bump was...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill