Main Menu

Catamount Squadron

Started by Skyray, August 30, 2007, 11:37:23 PM

Skyray

I just received a back channel PPT presentation for the Catamount Squadron in Vermont.  It looks very interesting, and it looks like they are putting an emphasis on gliding.  Anybody know any more?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

jimmydeanno

I don't even see that squadron listed in their wing...but as a cadet, Vermont was an excellent place to go for soaring.  The green mountains make thermals.  The last time I flew there the glider was based in springfield, VT and combo used by NH and VT wings.

The airport it's at is really quiet, CAP has a building there and the airport has plenty of mountains around it. 

So, not knowing where "Catamount Squadron" is, we may be talking about the same place...right now the Flight there is called Springfield flight, so maybe they're going through a standup and calling themselves "Catamount Squadron."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Skyray

I went back and checked the PPT, and the official title is "Sprinfield Glider Academy and Catamount Composite Squadron."  So we are talking about the same place.  They have a reconditioned building on the airfield, and it overall looks like a great place.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

jimmydeanno

The building is pretty nice - it's set up as more of an operations building than a squadron meeting place though - not too cadet friendly (sorry, I'm biased...).  Apparantly they just finished renovating it the way that CAPers know how - good ol' sweat equity and members of the squadron helping out.

But like I said before - this locations is PRIME for glider flights - and the views nice too ;)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

I know...I know...banned member, old thread.  But I just got some pictures that pertain to this thread and thought they may be interesting.  Here are some pictures of the Springfield VT airport with CAP doing glider ops (In September of 07).

Picture 1:  The building behind the members is the one being used by CAP.  The last time I was there most of the first floor had been renovated but the basement was still pretty dingy - but still a great place for a squadron.

Picture 2:  The cadets moving the glider into position.  The glider that is there is an old glider from the AF Academy.  It's got a couple bruises but all in all it's a solid ship.

Picture 3: Gives a good perspective of the mountains and ridges surrounding the airport.  The airport is quiet in regards to 'real traffic' but gets a lot of amateur glider activity.

Picture 4: A good look down the runway.

Enjoy.

NIN

That unit, back in the 1990s, was commanded by Lt Col Kevin Stuart, an old CAP-Talk (the mailing list, not the website) regular.  I wasn't even in New Hampshire a week when Kev & his son dragged me to Boston on a regular "hair cuts and seafood" trip.. :) (Haircuts at Hanscom AFB, and seafood as some joint that looked like it was carved out of wood inside that supposedly Daniel Webster was a frequent patron of)

I've been up there. The building was just.. OK.  Not spectacular, just ... OK.  Small, cramped, not conducive to meeting space, etc.

Kevin, as I recall, has moved on in VT Wing (not sure what he's doing these days), and if I remember right, he's about to retire from the VT Air Guard.  I believe the CO up there these days is a Lt Col named Mikkelson?  I have a bunch of cadets who want to try out this gilding academy this summer.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.