November 29, 2020, 12:53:59 am

Online Course

Started by RobertShaw, September 28, 2019, 09:48:25 pm

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RobertShaw

In order to begin my education as a CAP Historian, I have been informed that I need to take a Historian course. I am looking for one online, free, and documentable for CAP purposes. Anyone have any suggestions?


AdAstra

RobertShaw:

Welcome to the field of CAP history.

To begin your education, first turn to CAPP 223, Historian Specialty Track Study Guide, which lists the specific education and knowledge requirements. The "Historian course" to which you are referring is probably "attend a workshop, lecture, demonstration etc. of at least one day on preserving historical material or research techniques, or interview techniques or technical writing or similar topic given by a reputable source, in person or online." In short, the methodology used by historians, not "The History of _____."

Free? Good luck. The only free course that I took was the old Air University Career Development Course for Historians, which is not longer offered. The cheapest course was $20 or so for a four hour seminar on preservation offered by one of the local air museums. For a fee, I attended a two-day workshop on digital archives, which wasn't quite the guidance I was looking for in building the wing's digital archives. By far the most interesting and useful online course I found (for a larger fee, of course) was "The Basics of Archives" offered by the American Association of Local and State History: https://aaslh.org/programs/continuing-education/online-courses/. A basic introduction to what I am doing. The course doesn't appear to be offered at the moment.

You might pose your question on the Facebook pages for Civil Air Patrol History, or CAP National History Program.

Good luck.

Charles Wiest


etodd

This thread got me interested, and also brought up a lot of questions. My squadron doesn't have a historian, but I assume (?) Wing does.

Do most Squadrons have one?

Whether Squadron or Wing, where does all the history data reside that each historian collects? In a file cabinet somewhere, or is it all searchable online?

When a historian steps down, is the previous data passed along such that the new person just adds new events and stories as they arise?

Does a local historian just keep files of info on local CAP history, or do they all have separate versions of national CAP history?

If not online, are copies of squadron and/or wing histories sent to Montgomery, where a CAP member could visit and search through them?

MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
This thread got me interested, and also brought up a lot of questions. My squadron doesn't have a historian, but I assume (?) Wing does.

Not all wings do, and not all historians are active in a meaningful sense (as with many people slotted in various jobs)

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Do most Squadrons have one?

No.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Whether Squadron or Wing, where does all the history data reside that each historian collects? In a file cabinet somewhere, or is it all searchable online?

Trunk, closet, file cabinet.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
When a historian steps down, is the previous data passed along such that the new person just adds new events and stories as they arise?

Not in any way consistently or through standard NHQ-dictated process.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Does a local historian just keep files of info on local CAP history, or do they all have separate versions of national CAP history?

A historian should be archiving information and items relevent to the echelon they are appointed to, but just like with CAP websites,
there is a lot of overlap and duplication.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
If not online, are copies of squadron and/or wing histories sent to Montgomery, where a CAP member could visit and search through them?

Not in any way consistently or through standard NHQ-dictated process.

It's as haphazard as everything else in CAP, including the web presence where people just randomly
choose vendors and photo services based on personal preference or vested interest with no national plan.



etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2019, 02:10:34 am
Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
This thread got me interested, and also brought up a lot of questions. My squadron doesn't have a historian, but I assume (?) Wing does.

Not all wings do, and not all historians are active in a meaningful sense (as with many people slotted in various jobs)

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Do most Squadrons have one?

No.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Whether Squadron or Wing, where does all the history data reside that each historian collects? In a file cabinet somewhere, or is it all searchable online?

Trunk, closet, file cabinet.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
When a historian steps down, is the previous data passed along such that the new person just adds new events and stories as they arise?

Not in any way consistently or through standard NHQ-dictated process.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
Does a local historian just keep files of info on local CAP history, or do they all have separate versions of national CAP history?

A historian should be archiving information and items relevent to the echelon they are appointed to, but just like with CAP websites,
there is a lot of overlap and duplication.

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
If not online, are copies of squadron and/or wing histories sent to Montgomery, where a CAP member could visit and search through them?

Not in any way consistently or through standard NHQ-dictated process.

It's as haphazard as everything else in CAP, including the web presence where people just randomly
choose vendors and photo services based on personal preference or vested interest with no national plan.



Thanks Eclipse. I'm sure my questions were clearly getting to the bottom line question.  Other than just a PD Track to get a ribbon or certificate ... doesn't sound like any meaningful history is being assembled in such a way it can be catalogued, searchable, and useful? Does it become one of those file cabinet folders that gets discarded, or lost, in five years after the historian has gone?  :(

Maybe there are some Wings that are doing a great job of this and have it all digital. If so, speak up. :)
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 02:19:12 amDoes it become one of those file cabinet folders that gets discarded, or lost, in five years after the historian has gone?

Yes - it's all personality based - if someone(s) is interested, there may be some fire for a while,
but when that person leaves or dies, often the effort goes with them.



Live2Learn

September 30, 2019, 04:56:45 am #8 Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:00:21 am by Live2Learn
Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2019, 02:31:21 am
Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 02:19:12 amDoes it become one of those file cabinet folders that gets discarded, or lost, in five years after the historian has gone?

Yes - it's all personality based - if someone(s) is interested, there may be some fire for a while, but when that person leaves or dies, often the effort goes with them.
.

Etodd, your pessimistic speculation is likely a bullseye.   "...or lost, or discarded. "

AdAstra

Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
If not online, are copies of squadron and/or wing histories sent to Montgomery, where a CAP member could visit and search through them?



Maybe there are some Wings that are doing a great job of this and have it all digital. If so, speak up. :)
[/quote]

Civil Air Patrol National History Program archives: http://history.cap.gov

Southeast Region archives: http://archives.sercap.us

California Wing History & Heritage digital archives: http://cawghistory.cawgcap.org

CAPC History Project: http://www.capchistoryproject.org
Charles Wiest

etodd

Quote from: AdAstra on September 30, 2019, 06:32:35 pm
Quote from: etodd on September 30, 2019, 01:50:29 am
If not online, are copies of squadron and/or wing histories sent to Montgomery, where a CAP member could visit and search through them?



Maybe there are some Wings that are doing a great job of this and have it all digital. If so, speak up. :)


Civil Air Patrol National History Program archives: http://history.cap.gov

Southeast Region archives: http://archives.sercap.us

California Wing History & Heritage digital archives: http://cawghistory.cawgcap.org

CAPC History Project: http://www.capchistoryproject.org
[/quote]


Yes, I drilled down to my Wing, and it's just sad. Just a handful of sporadic photos and comments. Virtually nothing from each Squadron showing what they have down each year. Some Squadrons have a bit of their history on their website. But then it's not send up the line for National to archive it in one searchable place. And I get it. Not a priority. I don't have the time to tackle a job of that proportion, so can't criticize. It's just sad to think of so much history that is forgotten over time.
MS - MO - AP - MP - FRO - ESO

sUAS MP - sUAS Instructor - sUAS Check Pilot