Communications Technician Rating for rejoining member. Grandfathered?

Started by TxRaider, August 28, 2019, 03:50:31 PM

TxRaider

I have a member rejoining after a 20 year hiatus.  When he separated, he was active in communications, and held the Communications Badge, which never expired. During his time away, of course, the Communications Badge and 100-1 test were changed to the current format of the Communications Technician Rating, as set out in CAPP 214.  When the change was made, were the old ratings grandfathered?  Does he have to start all over again, or does his earlier badge award satisfy the criteria to have a technician rating in the Communications Specialty Track?

Thanks,

Rob Hogan.

Eclipse

An earned specialty track rating is perpetual, so if he can substantiate it the badge stays,
however differences in the expectations will have to be accomplished before getting to
senior or master as any grandfathering on that would be long gone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

As long as he has documentation he is good to go. The senior rating requirements aren't that onerous either.

PHall

After a 20 year break. It might just be easier for him and everyone else for him to start over again.
Communications and the Communications track have changed a lot in those 20 years.
Heck, I earned my Communications badge back when I was a cadet but I don't wear it anymore because the requirements have changed so much that I don't meet them anymore.

CAP9907

Quote from: PHall on August 28, 2019, 05:23:54 PM
After a 20 year break. It might just be easier for him and everyone else for him to start over again.
Communications and the Communications track have changed a lot in those 20 years.
Heck, I earned my Communications badge back when I was a cadet but I don't wear it anymore because the requirements have changed so much that I don't meet them anymore.

Agree with this..  the Comms Badge remains valid, but a Tech Rating in its own right is not that difficult to get and he'd probably get some good up to date info along the way..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 28, 2019, 05:23:54 PMHeck, I earned my Communications badge back when I was a cadet but I don't wear it anymore because the requirements have changed so much that I don't meet them anymore.

Unless you completed the remaining portions of the rating within 4 years of turning senior, you aren't eligible to wear it regardless.

In this case, the OP is talking about a senior member, who presumably earned the full rating, and thus it's a permanent award regardless
of changing requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

It's also worth retaining the old rating just to have less PD requirements to deal with when working on your promotions as well.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2019, 05:30:07 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 28, 2019, 05:23:54 PMHeck, I earned my Communications badge back when I was a cadet but I don't wear it anymore because the requirements have changed so much that I don't meet them anymore.

Unless you completed the remaining portions of the rating within 4 years of turning senior, you aren't eligible to wear it regardless.

In this case, the OP is talking about a senior member, who presumably earned the full rating, and thus it's a permanent award regardless
of changing requirements.

I turned Senior in 1980, there weren't even specialty tracks back then.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 28, 2019, 07:31:38 PM
I turned Senior in 1980, there weren't even specialty tracks back then.

The 1984 version of the badge is shown below...

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Let me put it to you this way Bob, I have an ROP Card and a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit which was required back then.
Is that old enough for ya?

Spam

Quote from: PHall on August 28, 2019, 10:43:16 PM
Let me put it to you this way Bob, I have an ROP Card and a FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit which was required back then.

High five... (pre fist bump) I turned SM in the 80s also.
Me too! Form 753, still in the oddest color and still in the folder.

Cheers
Spam

SarDragon

Quote from: Spam on August 29, 2019, 12:22:48 AM

Cheers
Spam

Form 753?

BTW, my FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit is dated 9-4-1970.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 29, 2019, 05:49:46 AM

Cheers
Spam

Form 753?

Mine's dated 6-4-1973. But you are older then I am! >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on August 29, 2019, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 29, 2019, 05:49:46 AM

Cheers
Spam

Form 753?

Mine's dated 6-4-1973. But you are older then I am! >:D

I have a birth certificate dated 10 NOV 1973....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000