Squadron Activities

Started by yolo, May 30, 2019, 12:42:40 AM

yolo

Hey Guys,

What are some fun activities to do at a weekly squadron meeting? As Deputy Cadet Commander, I want to make the squadron meeting really fun and informative for the cadets. What would you guys suggest? What has worked in the past?

TheSkyHornet

I'll be that guy...

How is a C/CMSgt the C/CD?

Per CAPR 60-1, the minimum grade for that position is C/2d Lt.

Fester

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 30, 2019, 02:19:57 PM
I'll be that guy...

How is a C/CMSgt the C/CD?

Per CAPR 60-1, the minimum grade for that position is C/2d Lt.

I find it incredible how may members don't read the regs.....
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

TheSkyHornet

Okay, now I'll go back to the OP's question, now that I got that off my chest.

I think a good start is to talk about the type of unit you have, the general interests of the roster, and what you've been doing already that don't seem to work so great (as well as those small things that maybe do work well).

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

yolo

Sorry, I haven't updated my signature yet. I am a C/2d Lt. Sorry bout that.

Kayll'b

Last Saturday I had an airsoft event and invited all of the CAP people as well. It was thoroughly enjoyed and helped us learn how to work better as a team.

Note you can not have a CAP airsoft or paintball party because of regs, but it's a great team building exercise unofficially.

There are also some awesome leadership activities you can do. If you think about it hard enough you could think of ways that you could better everyone's leadership skills with an interactive TLP.
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

Spam

Quote from: TheMeepMan on May 30, 2019, 12:42:40 AM
Hey Guys,

What are some fun activities to do at a weekly squadron meeting? As Deputy Cadet Commander, I want to make the squadron meeting really fun and informative for the cadets. What would you guys suggest? What has worked in the past?

My inputs:

1. Start with the mandatory cadet program core requirements for monthly contact hours per R60-1. Just as mamma said, eat your dinner before your junk food to stay healthy. See CAPR 60-1 1 FEBRUARY 2018, at https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPR_601__Cadet_Program_Management__36D2A228D5925.pdf
4.3.1. Weekly Squadron Meetings.
4.3.1.1. Content Requirements. Commanders will ensure that their unit's weekly meetings fulfill the minimum training content outlined in Table 4.2. ("Monthly Training Requirements").

2. Next, flow down your Commanders Guidance from up the chain of command to reflect his/her priorities for emphasis events. Hint: its a two way chain, so you could request/suggest additional fun activities, as they fit into around, and after the schedule of mandatory events.

3. When planning the "extra" fun events (which may be on weekends also) make sure that you review requirements in 60-1 for any necessary permissions (e.g. High Adventure Activities), for permission from Wing (e.g. for all fund raising, or for out of Wing travel). Reference: CAPR 60-1 1 FEBRUARY 2018, 2.9. High Adventure Activities. See: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/CAPR_601__Cadet_Program_Management__36D2A228D5925.pdf.

(Note to Kayll'b... you can indeed have a paintball event as a CAP event! Go read 2.10.3. Paint Ball and Simunitions, and adhere to the above HAA planning/safety approval process. If you choose not to, you should not be implying or advertising this as a CAP event at all, since you're openly acknowledging that you choose not to follow the process that CAP requires. This is why parents need to know that ONLY THE EVENTS PUBLISHED ON THE UNIT CALENDAR, with parental slips, are authorized CAP events, and commanders need to enforce that to protect themselves and CAP from liability connected with such unsupervised activities).

4. Make sure that your scheduled meetings (which should be posted on your publicly available unit website) have your agenda updated as required for parental visibility, and that any events not on a meeting night or not at the normal place have a parental permission slip readied to cover them. Tip: you should have the events and the permission slips out no later than two weeks before the planned event to meet policy requirements. Reference: CAPR 60-2, 2.4.2. Notification of Activities, 2.4.8. Parental Permission for Special Events. See: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R060002_Cadet_Protection_1_MAR_18_C9DF90813A654.pdf

In specific, 2.4.2 states: "cadet activities will be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance and announced on a web-based calendar that enables cadets' parents to verify that a purported event is indeed an official activity".

5. Some great ideas are listed in the TLC "Activities" module, at: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/3_3112116B5833F.pdf.

6. Save the lessons learned.  Afterwards, if it worked well (or if not), do an after action review and take notes for a continuity binder for your successor(s) so you can build on excellence!

Good luck

V/r
Spam

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Kayll'b on June 03, 2019, 07:47:16 PM
Last Saturday I had an airsoft event and invited all of the CAP people as well. It was thoroughly enjoyed and helped us learn how to work better as a team.

Note you can not have a CAP airsoft or paintball party because of regs, but it's a great team building exercise unofficially.

I would caution going that route. Be sure that if you're participating in an external activity, and you're inviting your friends at CAP, that it's communicated via means outside of CAP (e.g., don't use CAP email addresses; don't brief it at the CAP meeting) and that's its well known that it's a privately-hosted activity, not hosted by CAP. You don't want to run into anyone suggesting that your unit is skirting regs by trying to call it "an outside activity" that has all the signs of CAP expect for the paperwork.

@OP:
Developing an activity plan for the weekly meeting can be challenging. Be sure your unit has goals, and that your training plan serves those goals (i.e., don't have classes just for the sake of having classes to fill time).

If your training schedule isn't up to par, as you develop it, fill the void with some outside social activities, like bowling night, laser tag, putt-putt...something to break up the impression that there isn't any fun. Weekly meetings can be more tolerable if there are other activities on the side.

Heck, go to a local park and design a land navigation course, teach land nav at the meeting, then test your skills on a Saturday.

The regulations require you to offer at least one "weekend" activity per month (that is, an activity held outside of your weekly meeting). This can be something at the squadron level, group level, or Wing level. Our unit still tries to host at least one internal, squadron level activity each month. Last month we had two: we had a field training day at the park which ended with a cookout, and a field trip to a World War II submarine and some other historic sites on another weekend. This month we're doing an airport tour. Next month will be a social event.

Get them out of the classroom! But don't lose valuable meeting time.

Kayll'b

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 04, 2019, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: Kayll'b on June 03, 2019, 07:47:16 PM

I would caution going that route. Be sure that if you're participating in an external activity, and you're inviting your friends at CAP, that it's communicated via means outside of CAP (e.g., don't use CAP email addresses; don't brief it at the CAP meeting) and that's its well known that it's a privately-hosted activity, not hosted by CAP. You don't want to run into anyone suggesting that your unit is skirting regs by trying to call it "an outside activity" that has all the signs of CAP expect for the paperwork.

Thanks for the input,
Yes, I was carful to be clear that I was already having a party and decited to invite my cap friends also.
And no, I wasn't trying to "skirt the regs".

Quote from: Spam on June 03, 2019, 11:06:31 PM
(Note to Kayll'b... you can indeed have a paintball event as a CAP event! Go read 2.10.3. Paint Ball and Simunitions, and adhere to the above HAA planning/safety approval process. If you choose not to, you should not be implying or advertising this as a CAP event at all, since you're openly acknowledging that you choose not to follow the process that CAP requires. This is why parents need to know that ONLY THE EVENTS PUBLISHED ON THE UNIT CALENDAR, with parental slips, are authorized CAP events, and commanders need to enforce that to protect themselves and CAP from liability connected with such unsupervised activities).

yeah I know that isn't a "party". as it states in the reg that the purpose of having one is career oprotunity. That is not what I was doing at my party, therefore I don't see how under any circumstances that would be allowed as a CAP event.
Again I was very clear that it wasn't a CAP activity.

thanks again,

-Kayll'b

[ed. - fixed quote tags]
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

currey

We started a healthy eating series that we do every PT night for 8 weeks.
We had a smoothly competition
We had everyone bring in unusual fruit and had the cadets try something new.
A local bodybuilder who was active duty and competed in the strong man competitor come in and discuss healthy choices.
We did a yogurt bar. Cadet brought in their favorite healthy toppings
and next week we have a trainer coming in. These fun activities are done on PT night after testing.

When you offer food cadets we come!

For AE check out the AEX books. Make sure your doing hands on classes that are fun combines with modular lessons.

GroundHawg

Quote from: currey on August 19, 2019, 01:28:25 AM
We started a healthy eating series that we do every PT night for 8 weeks.
We had a smoothie competition
We had everyone bring in unusual fruit and had the cadets try something new.
A local bodybuilder who was active duty and competed in the strong man competitor come in and discuss healthy choices.
We did a yogurt bar. Cadet brought in their favorite healthy toppings
and next week we have a trainer coming in. These fun activities are done on PT night after testing.

When you offer food cadets we come!

For AE check out the AEX books. Make sure your doing hands on classes that are fun combines with modular lessons.
\

Love this idea, nutrition and physical fitness go hand in hand and yet all we ever seem to focus on is the PT side of the house.