Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2019, 11:56:10 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aviation & Flying Activities  |  Topic: Dead battery? An unapproved (and BAD) alternative
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Dead battery? An unapproved (and BAD) alternative  (Read 2158 times)
Live2Learn
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« on: January 25, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »

I've not seen a pull start Cessna product, but I'm sure one exists somewhere.

Do you suppose this method was described in the maintenance manual, POH, or SOP? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecosb5mSDwo    :clap:

Funny, yes.  But! it really got me wondering about the Darwin effect.   :o

Report to moderator   Logged
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time With Silver Clasp

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 05:12:49 PM »

PHall

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »

You have the truck there, why not jump it from the truck? ::)
Blanding

Unit: MER-VA-102

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »

You have the truck there, why not jump it from the truck? ::)

I'm not an Embraer expert, but I'd bet it has a 24v battery!
arajca

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »

At least he gets in the plane...
PHall

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »

Any bets on how long it will be before the front seal on the engine starts to leak.
Those seals don't like side loads.
mdickinson
Seasoned Member

Unit: NER-CT-022

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:59 PM »

It might be an unapproved solution, but it's still better than this guy's solution!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpOg9Ci284
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: Smoots

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 05:38:18 AM »

It might be an unapproved solution, but it's still better than this guy's solution!
That'll buff right out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Live2Learn

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:42:31 PM »

That'll buff right out.

Some over achievers can even do in hangars while sitting at the controls. A year or so ago a rather rusty pilot at Bremerton airport somehow started his 'V' tail engine at near full throttle.  He planned to taxi to fuel.  Did I mention he wasn't on the brakes and the (non-NTSB) accident report said E brake wasn't set?  As his Bonanza lurched forward the pilot locked one brake causing the plane to promptly pivoted into the adjacent (CAP) hangar.  Several people, including cadets, were near the soon-to-be-damaged hangar when the "V" tail came to life. 

A bunch of teachable moments resulted. 

For pilots - set the E brake before engine start; - set throttle as prescribed in the POH... just barely above idle; - HOLD both toe brakes ... just in case; - assure the area is REALLY "clear" before kindling a fire to the cylinders.   

For anyone else near an aircraft that might suddenly roar to life - stay engaged and alert ... surprising things can happen quickly with little or no warning; - earbuds and/or immersion in a smart phone screen can have very bad side effects;

For Safety officers - emphsize S.A for any inside the fence activity on a airport; 

FWIW, I think non-NTSB reportable accidents from hand propping or improper start procedures are a lot more common than the official FAA or NTSB records would suggest.  Those data bases only record mishaps where the accident aircraft was started "with the intention of flight".  I know of at least two runaway aircraft where a hand start gone-wrong damaged buildings, aircraft, and property.  Like the Bremerton "V" tail, they were merely started to reposition on the airport... i.e. with no intention of flight.
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aviation & Flying Activities  |  Topic: Dead battery? An unapproved (and BAD) alternative