Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2019, 03:44:35 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Emergency Services & Operations  |  Topic: FEMA COML course at NESA
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FEMA COML course at NESA  (Read 1209 times)
NovemberWhiskey
Recruit

Unit: NER-NY-301

« on: January 19, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »

I saw from some of the National Conference presentations that the communications ES curriculum is migrating to something more aligned with the FEMA typology, and the existing MRO/CUL qualifications will be retired. I also note that NESA has a FEMA COML course advertised for 2019 but without any documentation on the web site.

I did send a note asking about pre-reqs etc. but didn't get a response - was wondering if anyone had specific knowledge about this course for 2019? If it's a replacement for CUL, I would be interested in attending.

SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »

I just checked the FEMA site, and it has this course listed, but not currently available - IS-704: NIMS Communication and Information Management.

And there's also this message - Due to the lapse in federal funding, this website will not be actively managed. So, updates are not forthcoming.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
sardak
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »

COML training is not an IS course.  It is a 3-day, 21 contact hour course. The FEMA course code is E-0969 and here is the course description from FEMA: https://www.firstrespondertraining.gov/frt/npccatalog?courseId=2214#anc-search-results

This is directly from FEMA, so you'll have to find another source for additional NESA requirements.

Mike
NovemberWhiskey
Recruit

Unit: NER-NY-301

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »

Does anyone have an email address for NESA staff? I did try sending a note by the contact form on nesa.cap.gov to which I didn't receive a response, and I couldn't find a email address from a quick perusal of the site.
CAPLTC
Forum Regular

Unit: MER

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 03:24:25 AM »

Does anyone have an email address for NESA staff? I did try sending a note by the contact form on nesa.cap.gov to which I didn't receive a response, and I couldn't find a email address from a quick perusal of the site.

Let me know what you find out.
As an actual COM-L (day job, not CAP), I am curious about the curriculum.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis
Airrescue9282

Unit: Ser-fl-001

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »

I’m a FEMA COML instructor in my day job, so I’ll help out...

Prerequisites:
ICS100,200,700,800 (online courses)
And ICS-300. (3 day classroom training)

Also be aware that this course requires you to complete a task book, and have it approved by your State’s Statewide Interoperability Coordinator (SWIC) before you are ‘certified’. Each State handles the certification differently.
In FL, you have to be a full time employee of a govt agency to get certified. FL will not allow volunteer members to get certified as a COML. Again check with your local State.

This doesn’t mean you can’t take the course, as there is lots of good info. But to be ‘certified’ as a COML, your State makes the rules.
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Emergency Services & Operations  |  Topic: FEMA COML course at NESA