CAP phase-in time for ABU's

Started by RogueLeader, July 05, 2007, 05:07:33 AM

What do you think that the phase-in times for the ABU's be for CAP?

2-3 yrs
25 (23.1%)
3-4 yrs
13 (12%)
4-5 yrs.
20 (18.5%)
5-7yrs
23 (21.3%)
8-10 years
11 (10.2%)
10+
16 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Hawk200

Quote from: 12211985 on July 09, 2007, 11:21:56 PM
I predict the phase-in time for the ABU is going to be the same as the phase-in time was for the BDU: 6 years.  That's 6 years after 2011.

So it is probable that no one in CAP will be wearing ABU's until 10 years from now.  The Air Force needs to outfit everyone in the Air Force first, and when there are leftovers, those will go to CAP.      

6 years after 2011? No way. It's unlikely that the present BDU will be available after 2011. There might not even be a Blue BDU available after 2011.

The BDU design is outdated, and there are far better options available. Too bad some branches of the military didn't look at some of those designs a little more indepth.

Besides, it won't even take remotely close to 10 years to outfit the Air Force. Stocks will be available, and everyone in the Air Force should have at least two sets within two years. Everyone in the Air Force should be able to wear an ABU within three. Some will choose to stretch it out, but that's their choice.

shorning

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 09, 2007, 11:12:07 PM
Air Force TA is Air Force TA, not the rest of the Air Force. It's a specialized uniform that serves a purpose in the same way medical whites do. They designate a group of people with a specific duty and set of skills for a specific purpose.

Not to mention, there has never been a time in the United States Air Force history that all airman wore blue fatigues. Many Air Force personnel are not aware of what TA even does, much less seen them. The BBDU fills a different purpose anyway, so just comparing them based on color isn't really apt.

You missed my point.  I was simply pointing out that it wasn't that out of place.  I wasn't implying that they entire Air Force ever wore blue fatigues (etc.).  That would be comparing apples to oranges.  However, "different" uniforms are worn...just for different reasons.  Of course you're not going to have a separate uniform for Air Force members that don't meet weight and grooming standards.  We don't handle that the same way CAP does.  Fail to comply with Air Force standards long enough and the gives you the boot.   Fail to meet the Air Force standards (+10%) in CAP and we tell you to switch uniforms.

Heck, there are "many" in the Air Force that don't know what anyone outside of their AFSC does.  Not that big of a deal.  Somehow Big Blue manages to keep on chugging along. 

Hawk200

Quote from: shorning on July 09, 2007, 11:50:28 PM
You missed my point. 

No, I didn't, it didn't address the viewpoint posted. The public rarely, if ever, sees TA personnel. They probably wouldn't know they were Air Force until they read the branch tapes. And it doesn't look like a military uniform. I think that's what SAR-EMT1 meant by his original post.

Quote from: shorning on July 09, 2007, 11:50:28 PMHeck, there are "many" in the Air Force that don't know what anyone outside of their AFSC does. 

I'll agree on that one. Wasn't that way for me, I learned what 36-2105, and -2108 were fairly early in my Air Force days. It's actually interesting reading (well, if you like that sort of thing, I do), you'll sit there reading and be thinking "I didn't know there was a job like that in the Air Force!"

Hawk200

I am curious on one thing: Has anyone here actually ordered or pre-ordered any ABU's yet? (No, I haven't, but I did think about it.)

MIKE

I wouldn't recommend it... Unless you are also in the USAF.
Mike Johnston

ddelaney103

Quote from: MIKE on July 10, 2007, 02:43:58 AM
I wouldn't recommend it... Unless you are also in the USAF.

I wouldn't recommend it even then.  The word has come down to avoid "unofficial sources" for the ABU - and the official source won't sell to most of the world until 2008. 

O-Rex

I predict the phase-in time for the ABU is going to be the same as the phase-in time was for the BDU: 6 years.  That's 6 years after 2011.

So it is probable that no one in CAP will be wearing ABU's until 10 years from now.  The Air Force needs to outfit everyone in the Air Force first, and when there are leftovers, those will go to CAP.   

Leftovers?  Give me a break!  I (along with many compatriots reading this) paid about sixty bucks per pair of BDU's, plus trimmings, plus boots.

And yes, USAF should outfit their own first, just as they did with BDU's. 

I can hear it now: 'Sorry Airman, no ABU's for you: we need to keep CAP looking Donna Karan/Dolce & Gabbana-spiffy. You'll get them when you come back from Iraq."

Historically, I don't recall wearing green fatigues in the late '80's hampering the mission, nor do I see ABU's adding any more functionality to CAP missions than BDU's currently do, it'll just be a matter of what's available.

Stop the "woe is me:" We get them when we get them, and until we do, we salute, execute, and wear our BDU's with pride.

SARMedTech

Quote from: O-Rex on July 10, 2007, 03:51:25 AM

Leftovers?  Give me a break!  I (along with many compatriots reading this) paid about sixty bucks per pair of BDU's, plus trimmings, plus boots.

And yes, USAF should outfit their own first, just as they did with BDU's. 

I can hear it now: 'Sorry Airman, no ABU's for you: we need to keep CAP looking Donna Karan/Dolce & Gabbana-spiffy. You'll get them when you come back from Iraq."

Historically, I don't recall wearing green fatigues in the late '80's hampering the mission, nor do I see ABU's adding any more functionality to CAP missions than BDU's currently do, it'll just be a matter of what's available.

Stop the "woe is me:" We get them when we get them, and until we do, we salute, execute, and wear our BDU's with pride.

What he said!
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

CadetProgramGuy

Personally speaking, shaking my little crystal ball......I see a phase in of either the ACU (Army) or the ABU (AF) somtime during 2009-2010. The phase in will be 3 years. 

Most proably what will happen is ABU, after the 2011 mandate of the Air Force. Give us 3-5 years to Phase us in.

Eagle400

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 09, 2007, 11:38:38 PMNo way. It's unlikely that the present BDU will be available after 2011. There might not even be a Blue BDU available after 2011.
I wouldn't say go that far.  Most Police/SWAT teams wear the BDU and BBDU, and most likely will continue to after 2011.  Someone will have to continue to outfit them.  I think CAP won't have to worry about a shortage of BBDUs for at least 15 years.      

Pylon

Anybody care to speculate what color tapes we'll get with the ABU?

In my opinion, the regular ABU tapes with maybe white embroidery like we have now would work just fine.  They're not subdued, like current AF BDU tapes are, and they provide a clean uniform appearance.  Another benefit is that we wouldn't have to order only from places that embroider tapes on obscure custom fabric colors - but from the litany of suppliers who do nametape embroidery for the military.

Thoughts?  Predictions?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

QuoteAnybody care to speculate what color tapes we'll get with the ABU?
CAP motto: If it doesn't work, why fix it?

Blue tapes with white letters forever!

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on July 11, 2007, 01:39:47 AM

>:( >:( >:( You owe me a new key board. 

Anyway, I would like to see OD Tapes with White letters.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

Either blue on ABU... Or keep what we got.  IMO white on ABU/gray would be hard to see/read.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

This would look good and distinctive.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

O-Rex

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2007, 02:28:42 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 11, 2007, 01:39:47 AM

>:( >:( >:( You owe me a new key board. 

Anyway, I would like to see OD Tapes with White letters.

Two years ago, I would have said 'no way,' but given some of the fads & fashions that have come from the last 6 NB's, anything can happen  :o

Eagle400

White on dark blue is my prediction for BDU tapes.  I believe National will want to go with a color that closely matches the color of the BBDU.  They are already going to dark blue cloth grade insignia for the dark blue flight suit and jumpsuit.    

RogueLeader

^^ Like above in my last post?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eagle400

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 11, 2007, 03:37:09 AM
^^ Like above in my last post?

You said white on midnight.  I said white on dark blue.  Almost the same thing.  Midnight is a little darker.   

NAYBOR

What about "ultramarine blue" writing on ABU background?  The Air Force can have their "Midnight blue", we'll have "ultramarine" or "CAP blue".