ICP Communications Proceedures

Started by IceNine, June 11, 2007, 07:07:03 AM

IceNine

I am working on solutions to problems both minor and major that I have seen in the mission world.  One of those is communications over the area of a large ICP.  For example, Planning is isolated in their own little cubby hole and not let out, Comm's is specifically isolated and protected from casual observers, and the IC (or their MSA) are wandering around all over the place.  There are 2 problems presented

1) physical separation of sections

2) wandering staff

One solution presented itself in the Inland SAR Planner Course, the instructors of the course had a mobile telephone system with multiple hand/headsets that worked just like a telephone only there was no outside phoneline attachment. 

So my questions are:

1) Anyone seen or used a system like this, if so where can I find out more about it

2) Are there any other processes being used, and DID THEY WORK?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

floridacyclist

Giving staff handhelds seems to work for us. Often you can use ISRs for this if they don't wander too far.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Al Sayre

The ISR's seem to work pretty well for us as well...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

The more physically separated form the main body of noise for Comms, the better.  This requires all the section chiefs and directors to pass messages in written form, giving the entire mission a single comms paper trail and reducing radio traffic overall.

It can be frustrating as a branch director to not be able to just grab a radio and talk to my people, but it is also understandable.

Having them in the literal center might seem the like logical place, but they have to hear and speak over the din.  This is especially a problem if your MRO's aren't wearing headsets.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

I have used an old field phone system with switchboard in the past. Set up takes a little time and you need to have someone at the switchboard constantly, but it works.

Psicorp

This is where the IMU2 comes in.  The only key is having reliable laptops, a wireless internet router (internet access would be even better) and having at least one person on hand who can do tech support.

For communications, ISRs and HTs work rather well.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RiverAux

most of our mission staff folks seem to like to have the radio nearby where they can hear it.  This results in them often times getting the info right from the speaker and other times having to have someone chase them down elsewhere.  Personally, I prefer having Comms separated and using written messages, but it does slow things down and requires extra people. 

SJFedor

Not that it would be secure, but heck, you could use AIM or MSN or something like that for rapid communication between the comm room and the appropriate branch directors or IC. Not only can they reply back rapidly, but print it out, you have a full comm log of everything sent!

Just an idea, better go get my nomex on  :(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RogueLeader

Thats an excellent suggestion, and I would love to see it implemented.  Just need to have several laptops with IM capability.  You could have some generic titles to log in under.  Such as:
OK_IC
OK_AOBD
OK_ COM
OK_GBD
OK_SAFETY
Then you have a generic passcode that works for all such as swrok001 "SWR-OK-001"  That way, anybody with a laptop can log in under their duty, with out changing laptops .  Say a GBD is also qualified IC,  Current IC goes off duty, GBD goes IC, just logs off, then signs in as IC, etc.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

While CAP has made great strides in the computer field, in my experience we don't have enough gurus available to set up that sort of system in the field, though it may be possible at regularly-used ICPs if there are enough computers.  However, I'm not entirely sure we want our staff sitting at their computers waiting for messages to come in. 

mdickinson

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 11, 2007, 11:57:35 PM
Just need to have several laptops with IM capability.  You could have some generic titles to log in under, such as OK_IC, OK_AOBD, OK_ COM, OK_GBD [...] Then you have a generic passcode that works for all such as swrok001 "SWR-OK-001" 

That way, anybody with a laptop can log in under their duty, without changing laptops. [...]

The local group near me has this setup already. Their HQ has five or six desks, with a computer at each desk. (These are older PC's that were donated by businesses that were replacing them. They don't look like much, but they were free, are they have enough horsepower to run Win2000 with Firefox, AIM, Google Earth, and a text editor.) One member donated a spool of cat 5 cable and a router, so they all have internet access.

The group ( www.capseg.org ) has put permanent position labels on the various desks: IC, Ground Branch, Air Branch, Logistics, etc. Each computer is logged on to AIM at all times under a naming scheme very similar to what was suggested below.

When a mission (or SAREX) starts, people just show up, sit down, and start communicating with each other.

When someone rotates off duty, the new person takes over the chair. The new guy not only has a filled-out status board (dry-erase board) mounted to the wall above their desk - they also have a chat window on their screen that contains a complete record of all communication sent & received by their predecessor. It's a neat system!

SJFedor

Either that, or, I'm not sure about this, but the laptops national issued out to the squadrons, are they wifi capable?

If so, have some people bring their laptops, either squadron issued or personal, set up a wireless router, and voila, insta-network.

I'm sure the comm guy would rather type out a message on something like AIM then have the AOBD hovering over him all the time  ;D

Oh, the possiblities!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

RogueLeader

What about missions away from HQ? 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SJFedor

This would be ideal for missions that involve more then 1 aircrew, 1 ground team, and the IC. Where you have people in a larger building, or in different rooms doing different things. Saves some walking time if nothing else.

Think of it as something to be used at an established ICP, like at a SAR Eval, wing or region SAREX, or large scale actual, where internet is available.

Not saying we should base everything on it, simply that it would be a tool to further speed up communications.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

RogueLeader

For example, this would be great for an ES Academy, or a large scale S&R, Disaster, or Terrorist Attack that requires long term action.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Folks, ideally this sort of system would be what we have but as I pointed out earlier, CAP just doesn't have enough people with the relatively basic computer skills to set something like this up.  Or maybe its just my Wing.....  Yes, I know it isn't that complicated but like it or not the majority of our senior members are barely competent at email.  Yes, their capabilities are being tested by how we're going as electronic as we have, but you need a dedicated computer guy available to set up and be available to fix problems in such a system while the mission is going on.  We need such a person anyway, but they seem to be few and far between...

isuhawkeye

I like this thread so far.

my only problem with comms separated from the decision makers is the fact that radio operators have a nasty habit of making decisions.  If you can find a way to keep that from happening I would support the separation

SJFedor

But with WMIRS and everything else that is going to computer, those in the higher positions have been forced to become more computer literate. All it would take is probably 20 minutes of the CUL setting up screen names for usage and getting a wireless network or a router hooked up.

Radio operators need a supervisor, a CUL, who knows what things they can and cannot say, and moreso, what decisions they can and cannot make. But I've had a few MROs respond to my request for something, say, I've been doing high bird for 4 hours, and wish to empty the balast tank, and request another high bird to replace me. They tell me to come on in, and as I'm coming down, the AOBD comes back and tells me to stay on station for another 30 min (fuel permitting) until they can get the 2nd high bird launched.

Silly kids.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

badger bob

Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2007, 12:29:56 AM
Either that, or, I'm not sure about this, but the laptops national issued out to the squadrons, are they wifi capable?

If so, have some people bring their laptops, either squadron issued or personal, set up a wireless router, and voila, insta-network.

FY 2002 and FY 2003 laptop purchases did not have built-in wireless capability. Later ones all have wireless capability built-in. Our wing took the oppoutunity this year to request wireless card upgrades from NHQ for the laptops received before 2004
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

SJFedor

Quote from: badger bob on June 12, 2007, 02:50:29 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on June 12, 2007, 12:29:56 AM

FY 2002 and FY 2003 laptop purchases did not have built-in wireless capability. Later ones all have wireless capability built-in. Our wing took the oppoutunity this year to request wireless card upgrades from NHQ for the laptops received before 2004

I thought so, I remember seeing some of the toshibas that didn't have it, but unit commanders would put wifi cards in them. The Toshiba toughbooks we use for SDIS are now wifi, so when the satellite doesn't work (which is happening more and more lately), you can just transmit as you're taxiing in.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver