Any Issues on Receiving ABU's

Started by JAFO78, September 29, 2016, 06:27:55 PM

JAFO78

Is anyone having issues getting full sets of ABU's We have only been able to issue 2 full ABU's. Blouse and pants only. We have about 5 cadets who have one or the other.  The running story between us is that's why we have a five year sunset on BDU's. because there is no ABU's to give out.

No seniors have any ABU's issued. Those that have them have bought them.
JAFO

DakRadz

I don't think our wing has issued any.

1st Lt Raduenz

arajca

If wing didn't get the right sizes, they can't issue them. Contrary to what some folks may believe, wings did not get every size available, just what AAFES had left over after the last style change.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

We haven't received any from Wing.  Best bet is to start looking into other sources. 
Toad

Eclipse

As indicated in the 1.5MM other ABU threads.  The "promise" of "ABUs for most" turned into
"CAP is cleaning out AAFES stockrooms." and what was received were mis-matched, winter-weight, Gen1,
in in appropriate sizes not only for cadets, but for seniors as well.

There have been whispers of one wing who received a matched set in a cadet size, but no one has ever
seen it in person.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

To clear the air there is no such thing nor has there even been a winter weight ABU.  CAP has received the surplus stock of the Gen 1 ABU, this is the same material that RABU is made of.  And yes you find there was a mismatch as the vendor/s had not quite gotten the hang of the colors for the ABU upon initial production.  There was a waiver and to a degree still is a waiver in place for the AF in regards to this.   

PHall

CAWG handed out several hundred sets at Encampment this year. All of the Female cadets got a set and most of the Male cadets got a complete set too.

JAFO78

So in other words we have authorization for a uniform that no one has...
JAFO

RazorbackPride

Nonsense, lots of us have them, and the fleece makes it so comfy. Why would anyone have the uniform before it was authorized?

Brad

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 30, 2016, 12:30:13 AM
To clear the air there is no such thing nor has there even been a winter weight ABU.  CAP has received the surplus stock of the Gen 1 ABU, this is the same material that RABU is made of.  And yes you find there was a mismatch as the vendor/s had not quite gotten the hang of the colors for the ABU upon initial production.  There was a waiver and to a degree still is a waiver in place for the AF in regards to this.

Interesting. Then what about this past weekend when I was talking with two Airmen in ABUs, and I distinctly noticed a difference in the fabric weave, felt a difference, and the Airman wearing the Gen 1 / winter weight / whatever its called said "They didn't have RABU's in my size so I was issued these." The material itself may very well be the same but it is most certainly not put together to form a garment in the same way.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

^ Technically you're both correct.  I use(d) winter weight as a lazy hyperbole.

The Gen1's are, as you noticed, and thicker material and akin to a "winter weight" garment when comparing them to similar fabrics used for
BDUs and CFUs.

But there was never a garment classified as "Winter Weight ABU".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Brad on September 30, 2016, 04:27:01 AM

Interesting. Then what about this past weekend when I was talking with two Airmen in ABUs, and I distinctly noticed a difference in the fabric weave, felt a difference, and the Airman wearing the Gen 1 / winter weight / whatever its called said "They didn't have RABU's in my size so I was issued these." The material itself may very well be the same but it is most certainly not put together to form a garment in the same way.

There was never a winter weight ABU.  All the iterations are a poly/cotton save for the 100% cotton issued to specific AFSC's. 

The RABU came about because of the feedback received from those of us wearing it to the uniform folks. 

ABU is now in pretty much it's third iteration with the RABU.  Same materials,  same cut just adapted to be lighter and to remove some of the features that were not needed or wanted from when it was first released.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on September 29, 2016, 10:18:42 PMAs indicated in the 1.5MM other ABU threads.  The "promise" of "ABUs for most" turned into
"CAP is cleaning out AAFES stockrooms." and what was received were mis-matched, winter-weight, Gen1, in in appropriate sizes not only for cadets, but for seniors as well.

There have been whispers of one wing who received a matched set in a cadet size, but no one has ever seen it in person.

That was California.   But no hat that fit, so it doesn't really count as a full set.
Probably a third of what we got actually did correctly fit seniors, but it was the seniors who could not wear them.

Eclipse

Quote from: N6RVT on September 30, 2016, 04:02:10 PMProbably a third of what we got actually did correctly fit seniors, but it was the seniors who could not wear them.

From my understanding that has been a consistent issue in many wings, which logically explains why these
were gathering dust to start with.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 30, 2016, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: Brad on September 30, 2016, 04:27:01 AM

There was never a winter weight ABU.  All the iterations are a poly/cotton save for the 100% cotton issued to specific AFSC's. 

The RABU came about because of the feedback received from those of us wearing it to the uniform folks. 

ABU is now in pretty much it's third iteration with the RABU.  Same materials,  same cut just adapted to be lighter and to remove some of the features that were not needed or wanted from when it was first released.

Technically NYCO I think. That's what my tags say.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

abdsp51

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 30, 2016, 06:35:04 PM
Technically NYCO I think. That's what my tags say.

Yep I stand corrected. 

kwe1009

Quote from: RobG on September 30, 2016, 02:26:20 AM
So in other words we have authorization for a uniform that no one has...

Lots of people have them and you can easily order them online just like BDUs.  CAP didn't issue the BDU either.  Wings/Units would occasionally get uniforms from different sources and then issue them out.  BDUs have been produced and worn my all branches of the military for over 30 years and they are still made and worn by foreign militaries today.  That created a large surplus stock that still exists in many areas today.  With the ABU it is only about a 13 year old item and basically only worn by the Air Force.  Even near AF bases surplus stores don't have many ABUs.  Nobody wants them but CAP so there isn't much of a market for them.  Prices will likely remain high and used ABUs will be hard to find for quite a while.

JAFO78

I now have a set of ABU's talk about a motivator. I'm just a little over weight to wear. So my goal is to drop the weight. Just seeing them makes me feel proud to wear. Maybe its just me, but I feel better about myself having what Big Brother Blue has. My son was on  the fence about renewing his membership. I told him you have a set now too. I think he will renew. Call it a sense of pride.

We still are getting piece here, piece there. Some pants for him, top for her. It will be a slow go. But will get there. I had a senior asking about ABU's. Funny thing I have never seen him in anything but the blue polo. Not sure if he was looking for him or his son, who is close to C/2LT.
JAFO

Brit_in_CAP