Combined Federal Campaign Presentation At National Conference

Started by ProdigalJim, July 22, 2016, 01:43:09 AM

ProdigalJim

For the third year in a row, I'll be presenting a seminar at the National Conference on how to apply for recognition by, and funding through, the Combined Federal Campaign.

We'll do a brief overview of CFC with some key terms and then we'll workshop the two parts which experience tells me trip up everyone the most: completing the pro forma IRS Form 990 and writing the 25-word descriptive statement.

Participants should leave the session with a better understanding of CFC, a solid head start on completing the 990 for their unit, and a finished 25-word statement.

Our session will be on Saturday from 10-12. Room is TBD.

(EDITED: Thanks Spam for pointing out that I forget to say it was AT the National Conference...)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

A.Member

So, in layman's terms, what is this?  Why should we care?  How does this move the needle forward for CAP and/or individual units?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Spam

CFC is the Combined Federal Campaign for charitable giving, a program to encourage federal employees to sign up for payroll deductions to support either a targeted charity, or to donate to a general fund which is then divided among a range of charities. 

Many local CAP units (among a broad range of other local charities) sign up with their nearby federal installations CFC office, giving them a short description of their local IRS 501(c)3 charitable activity (25 words seems to be the implied limit?). Then, federal employees get a signup booklet or web site to look through and decide if they want to donate x dollars per pay period, divided among luminaries such as CAP, and many charities you've never heard of.

Should you sign up, and do the paperwork, you might then end up with a near strings-free annual stipend from these fine employees for your unit (given that you've sought Wing level approval, as with all fund raising activities).

I would assume that PJim is advertising a session at the National Conference. although he doesn't state it.

V/R
Spam
(as a former DoD giver, and a CAP getter, of said funding)

ProdigalJim

Quote from: A.Member on July 22, 2016, 02:01:20 AM
So, in layman's terms, what is this?  Why should we care?  How does this move the needle forward for CAP and/or individual units?

The CFC is the federal government's workplace-giving program, so federal offices around the country (as well as military installations) organize CFC efforts to channel pledges from federal and military employees to selected charities. Squadrons can and have raised significant sums by getting designated as a CFC charity.

In 2013, the various Campaigns around the country collectively raised more than $193 million, which went to support 20,000 non-profit organizations nationwide. Shelters, neighborhood libraries, food banks, educational programs, programs to help at-risk youths...CFC charities run the gamut. Individual CAP squadrons can get their own CFC number and then be eligible to receive funds from local Campaigns.

It works best at the local level, and squadrons are ideally positioned to take advantage of it.

But it can also be confusing or even downright intimidating if you haven't done it before.

We did in in our squadron a few years ago with success, and as a result I got asked to field questions throughout the year from units across the country trying to put together their applications. As part of that, I present a seminar to squadrons to help demystify the process and get them started. In addition to the National conference, I'll give the talk at local squadrons if I'm on work travel in the area and they want a presentation.
VAWG/CV

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Spam on July 22, 2016, 02:12:05 AM
I would assume that PJim is advertising a session at the National Conference. although he doesn't state it.

I am!  :)

It's the next-best session to go to after Darin's on recruiting...  ;D
VAWG/CV

Eclipse

We hear about the CFC all the time, is there any tracking as to actual CAP recipients?

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

The last time I talked with Skip Dotherow about numbers, he told me that only 37 or so squadrons have done it.
VAWG/CV

Spam

That's probably since they flushed their records at NHQ. I knew a bunch that used to do it. We made bundles when I was a unit/CC in MDWG.

Now, the further away you get from DC, aka the planet Coruscant, center of the imperial government, the smaller your pools of likely charitable giving, I think. If you're near a big military base or some other federal installation, better chances.

V/R
Spam

ProdigalJim

I include a map in my presentation that splits that out. CFC of the National Capital Area is the big gorilla, accounting for $51 million, or 26%, of 2013 donations. Second place goes to Chesapeake Area CFC, but it's a distant second at $6.2 million, followed by Hawaii-Pacific Area CFC at $5 million, Southern California at $4 million and San Antonio at $4 million. Another 144 smaller campaigns split the rest.

So yes, the biggest donations are in and near DC, but the *average* CFC still raised more than $1 million.
VAWG/CV