The first time you got promoted?

Started by if3isawesome, June 29, 2016, 12:13:29 PM

PHall

Quote from: etodd on July 03, 2016, 02:43:56 AM
Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 03, 2016, 02:16:07 AM

Promotions aren't automatic. Someone has to click it.

Of course. The point was ... I was sitting there minding my own business, going about being a volunteer with CAP ... and no one asked if I wanted the position. No one said "Hey, your time is coming up. Want me to put you in for it?".  The system just happened without me, hence my using the term 'automatic' whether technically accurate or not. And a few weeks later I noticed it.

Its no big deal. I was just answering the question in the subject line of the thread, and giving an example of how things are not always as expected. LOL

The point was that if you had pissed off your squadron commander, they may not been inclined to promote you.
The promotion is neither guaranteed or automatic. You're just eligible to be promoted to 2d Lt at 6 months.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2016, 11:02:28 PM
Quote from: etodd on July 02, 2016, 09:35:35 PM
I changed from SM to 2nd LT automatically when 6 months rolled around.

No, you didn't.

This led to, what? Nine or ten posts which were, ultimately, about NOTHING important or even interesting. Why, Eclipse, why do you keep doing this?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 03, 2016, 06:52:26 PM
Why, Eclipse, why do you keep doing this?

Correcting peoples misstatements?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Eclipse has well over TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND posts. I can't even begin to think of how many hours someone would spend in any forum in order to wind up writing that many, if you consider that most folks spend more time reading than writing. He has dedicated a large percentage of his life to this forum, so I'll not criticize and respect that he knows more about CAP than me.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

stillamarine

Quote from: etodd on July 03, 2016, 10:00:37 PM

Eclipse has well over TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND posts. I can't even begin to think of how many hours someone would spend in any forum in order to wind up writing that many, if you consider that most folks spend more time reading than writing. He has dedicated a large percentage of his life to this forum, so I'll not criticize and respect that he knows more about CAP than me.

Considering that this forum has been around for a LONG time it's not unheard of.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 03, 2016, 09:51:19 PM

I do get what you're saying Eclipse, but from the member's perspective, it was automatic. He didn't do anything to request the promotion and wasn't involved in the process. It just happened. That would certainly appear automatic to me if I were in his shoes.

Capmonkey

My first promotion back in 2013 was a very memorable one. First off, I "joined" in August, although this was during the government shutdown, so national didn't process my application until October. Officially, my join date is Oct 21, 2013. Secondly, I had finished all of the requirements for my first promotion (leadership test, CD, etc.) and was taking my promotion board. I walk into the building before the meeting starts, and my squadron commander looks at me, puts his face in his hands, and shakes his head. ALL of my patches were backwards. My name tape was where my Civil Air Patrol tape should have been, and vice versa. My wing patch was where my flag patch should have been, and vice versa. Fortunately, I passed my promotion board, though I was very nervous because I was 12 and it was my first time in front of people. Almost 3 years later, I'm working on Achievement 10. I can remember when the Mitchell seemed so far away.

Sapper168

My promotions have all been the same.  I hit time in grade, inform the commander that i have hit my time in grade, they inform me if and when they put in paper work, i watch eservices and then put on new rank when it pops up.  I have not seen one Senior member officer or nco promotion ceremony at my squadron.  Cadet promotions yes, but not Officers/NCO's.  Kind of makes me jealous.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on July 03, 2016, 11:00:36 PM

I do get what you're saying Eclipse, but from the member's perspective, it was automatic. He didn't do anything to request the promotion and wasn't involved in the process. It just happened. That would certainly appear automatic to me if I were in his shoes.

Understood, but then the understanding should be corrected "It wasn't automatic - very little in CAP is...", it's not a good idea to propagate the notion, because at some point
they stop being "automatic", whether that is at 2d Lt or Major, it shouldn't be a surprise, nor should people in units where things aren't "automatic" be able to point here and
see otherwise.  It's just setting people up for a disappointment or worse down the road.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2016, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: Fubar on July 03, 2016, 11:00:36 PM

Understood, but then the understanding should be corrected "It wasn't automatic - very little in CAP is...", it's not a good idea to propagate the notion, because at some point
they stop being "automatic", whether that is at 2d Lt or Major, it shouldn't be a surprise, nor should people in units where things aren't "automatic" be able to point here and
see otherwise.  It's just setting people up for a disappointment or worse down the road.

There is a difference between correcting the understanding and accusing someone of trying to "downplay or purposely mischaracterize the situation to humblebrag."

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on July 04, 2016, 09:21:31 PM
There is a difference between correcting the understanding and accusing someone of trying to "downplay or purposely mischaracterize the situation to humblebrag."

Sometimes, others it's a 2-fer.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2016, 11:09:02 PM

Geez.  I thought this thread, by the title and OP, was going to be more casual in nature and just folks posting their stories of first promotion. I'm sorry I even mentioned mine. Some folks just have to get all serious with everything.  The same type of folks we see on Facebook that will sidetrack a thread in order to correct someone's grammar or spelling, as if it is part of the discussion.  LOL

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on July 05, 2016, 03:05:34 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2016, 11:09:02 PM

Geez.  I thought this thread, by the title and OP, was going to be more casual in nature and just folks posting their stories of first promotion. I'm sorry I even mentioned mine. Some folks just have to get all serious with everything.

And some people aren't serious about anything, or try to make points about "they are just in it for the flying, or the kids, or the whatever" with a tone that belittles those who
are members of the whole of the CAP experience - that's the issue I have.  I know plenty of people in CAP who actually don't care about grade and PD and they literally
never mention it.

Quote from: etodd on July 05, 2016, 03:05:34 AM
The same type of folks we see on Facebook that will sidetrack a thread in order to correct someone's grammar or spelling, as if it is part of the discussion.  LOL

And some folks end every message with "LOL".  Grammar and spelling are always a part of the conversion.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2016, 03:45:42 AM

Grammar and spelling are always a part of the conversion.

Conversion?  ;)

Eclipse

Hah!  Awesome.  Hoisted with my own petard!

"That Others May Zoom"

MacGruff

That first promotion is a milestone that should be celebrated. We do it whether that promotion is bestowed on a cadet ... or a senior member!!!

On the cadet side, there is an expectation of very explicitly working on fulfilling the requirements for getting to pin on that first stripe. After all, they have to pass an online test, get a drill test, promotion board, PT, and so forth. So, they know what is happening every step of the way and are being firmly guided along the path so it's impossible to get surprised.

On the SM side, the guidance is there, but it is much more subtle. As a PDO, I guide the new members through their Level 1. While I view myself as their mentor, I am not hesitant to push the new members along and prod them when needed. The last part of Level 1 includes the summary conversation with the Squadron commander and their assignment to a staff position. By the time six months have passed, they are typically well on their way to their Level 2, and are productive members of the squadron - or have fallen off the roster. In the first case, the Personnel Officer watches over their TIG; we hold a Senior Member Promotion Board; recommend advancement to the Squadron Commander; and if he or she agrees, the appropriate buttons in e-services are clicked.

In both cases, the promotion takes place with all ceremony on the next "blues" night at the squadron. Promotions are NOT processed in e-services by the Squadron Commander until AFTER we've pinned on the new strips, or slid on the butter bars. Everyone is recognized and everyone is happy about it - whether they admit it or not ... even those who try to be stoic walk more proudly after it happened... 

:-)

etodd

Quote from: MacGruff on July 05, 2016, 01:57:00 PM
That first promotion is a milestone that should be celebrated. We do it whether that promotion is bestowed on a cadet ... or a senior member!!!

On the cadet side, there is an expectation of very explicitly working on fulfilling the requirements for getting to pin on that first stripe. After all, they have to pass an online test, get a drill test, promotion board, PT, and so forth. So, they know what is happening every step of the way and are being firmly guided along the path so it's impossible to get surprised.

On the SM side, the guidance is there, but it is much more subtle. As a PDO, I guide the new members through their Level 1. While I view myself as their mentor, I am not hesitant to push the new members along and prod them when needed. The last part of Level 1 includes the summary conversation with the Squadron commander and their assignment to a staff position. By the time six months have passed, they are typically well on their way to their Level 2, and are productive members of the squadron - or have fallen off the roster. In the first case, the Personnel Officer watches over their TIG; we hold a Senior Member Promotion Board; recommend advancement to the Squadron Commander; and if he or she agrees, the appropriate buttons in e-services are clicked.

In both cases, the promotion takes place with all ceremony on the next "blues" night at the squadron. Promotions are NOT processed in e-services by the Squadron Commander until AFTER we've pinned on the new strips, or slid on the butter bars. Everyone is recognized and everyone is happy about it - whether they admit it or not ... even those who try to be stoic walk more proudly after it happened... 

:-)

^^^^ This. My squadron needs this.  I've been a member nearly a year now and have never met the PDO in person. One 3 minute phone call in the beginning and maybe an email. His schedule changed such that he isn't able to make any meetings. No one taking his place or doing any of the above you mention. I was just left to figure out eServices and the online learning stuff by searching online until I figured it out. My CAP cfi has been helpful on the flying side of things, but I'm on my own for most all else. I really like my squadron folks, but think this is its weakest link. New members come in the door and no one is there to mentor/guide them.

raivo

Quote from: if3isawesome on June 29, 2016, 12:13:29 PMHow did it feel when you first got promoted in Civil Air Patrol? I was just promoted for the first time yesterday and I was so motivated that I completed all my tests (except for my drill test and PT) that I needed to promote again today! So im very curious about how you felt when you first got promoted.

About the same here... the realization I'd have to wait two months before I could do it again was the worst part of each promotion. (Until I hit C/2Lt, and then for some reason I stopped caring.)

Also, for my Curry, a slight sense of pride at promoting just before my younger brother who joined around the same time I did... >:D

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

RedLeg O4

The first time I was promoted was 1960 when I was a cadet in the Maryland Wing's Glen Burnie Composite Squadron. In those days we had to take "book" tests and as I remember there were 8 of them. Unlike the ranks that CAP uses today, we used the 1960s Air Force ranks which started at Airman Basic, Airman Third Class (A3C), Airman Second Class (A2C), and Airman First Class (A1C). I started off as a Cadet Basic and was promoted to Cadet Third Class when I finished my first book. That first promotion is something that I still remember as a stood in from of the squadron commander and along with my new rank he gave me a promotion certificate. To think that I was no longer a Cadet Basic was really a thrill. The next time I had the same thrill was when I received my commission as Field Artillery 2Lt and thought how far I had come since the day I was promoted  to Cadet first Class.

As an added note when I was an Army Captain stationed in Washington D.C. I actually had  an opportunity to command the Glen Burnie Composite Squadron. The best part of being a squadron commander there was to be able to promote my cadets and seeing how thrilled they were.  :)

Briank

While it may not be a big deal going from SM to 2Lt as there's not very many requirements to satisfy, it still felt good.  Was kind of a surprise.  I knew I had my stuff in order and my time in, but found out by logging in and seeing my rank had changed.  :-)  We had a small ceremony the next meeting.  Just a dozen of us in the unit and most of us started at the same time, so the majority were promoted at the same time.

Starting to think I should have gone for the communications officer position.  Appears I can be bumped to 1Lt for contributions, since I'll have my GROL as soon as the FCC gets around to processing the paperwork (just sent it in end of June).  :-)