Flight Commanders and First Sergeants Regulations Working Against Each Other

Started by C/ID-073, February 19, 2016, 04:03:28 AM

C/ID-073

As a new cadet commander in my squadron I am trying to put together the cadet chain of command so the cadet staff know what their jobs are, what to do, how to do it, ect. and I've ran into a dilemma.

Everything all makes sense except now my flight commander and myself is very confused on what a first sergeant and a flight commander are supposed to do inside and outside our weekly meetings as far as drill. Recently we decided that the first sergeant would be in charge of planning drill, but it looks more that the flight commander should be planning drill. I understand how things would work at an encampment or with a squadron with more than one flight, but mine only has one flight.

Looking in CAPR 20-1 and mostly CAPP 52-15 (The Cadet Staff Handbook) it says a flight commander is supposed to "supervise and coach the flight sergeant and element leader as they drill the flight". However, it says that the cadet first sergeant is supposed to "supervise and mentor flight sergeants during drill". So who really is working directly with the flight sergeant? I've been told than cadet officers should be inside planning and working while NCO's do the 'dirty work', but my flight commander believes that she should be outside with the cadets when they are drilling if she is really supposed to mentoring the flight sergeant. But I don't want to overwhelm our flight sergeant by having and officer and first sergeant watching him. How is she supposed to mentor if she never sees the flight?

My clear questions are, what should my first sergeant and flight commander be doing inside and outside the meetings? Should they both be planning drill? Should my flight commander stand aside more as her NCO's go on with her goals (working inside with the cadet staff/standing and observing), or should she be directly involved with the flight?-If so, how does she "instruct cadets" if she stands aside? Finally, how do my flight commander and first sergeant work together without getting in the way of each others jobs (in a squadron with one flight)?

Thank you all who reply.
Respectfully,
C/1stLt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

lordmonar

Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 04:03:28 AM
My clear questions are, what should my first sergeant and flight commander be doing inside and outside the meetings? Should they both be planning drill? Should my flight commander stand aside more as her NCO's go on with her goals (working inside with the cadet staff/standing and observing), or should she be directly involved with the flight?-If so, how does she "instruct cadets" if she stands aside? Finally, how do my flight commander and first sergeant work together without getting in the way of each others jobs (in a squadron with one flight)?

Way.....way not enough information to answer your question.

Short answer is go to your CDC (Deputy Commander for Cadets) and ask his advice.

To answer "how do the flight commander and first sergeant work together.....) is a long and complicated answer.   The blunt answer is that A) They must work together to get the mission done....that's their job and B) it is the Flight Commander's flight and the First Sergeant is not in the chain of command....ergo the First Sergeant always loses in a battle of "who is in charge".   

You can PM me if you want to give more details of the situation.

Good Luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

LSThiker

If so, how does she "instruct cadets" if she stands aside?

Excellent question.  In fact, this would be a good time to reflect, as an officer, what leadership means and how that is different from management.  Does a cadet officer need to directly instruct cadets?  Does a leader always need to directly instruct cadets in order to get the mission accomplished?  How does the role of a Flight Sergeant augment the role of a Flight Commander?  Is there a way in which a flight commander can instruct cadets without directly instructing cadets?

I would like to hear your answers as a C/1st Lt on these matters.

c172drv

You are well on your way to being a good Cadet Commander.  It is important that you scale your efforts to the size of your cadet corps and to your cadet staff, both in numbers and in capability.  If you have the numbers to support full implementation then your cadet officers will supervise, lead and monitor.  Your cadet NCO become the hands on personnel.  The planning is most effective when you work jointly as officers and NCO's . 

As a CDC I used to regularly hold staff meetings with the cadets to make the plans.  When I started this was totally new to them but there was a large contingent of cadets.  So at the start I was leading the meetings directly developing the materials creating the whole package and in part play the role of a Officer and NCO.  As the cadet staff developed they took on their roles and I was able to step back transferring the load to the Cadet Officers and NCO's to implement then later create their program.  I became the leader monitoring what took place.

As a cadet commander you are the one to set the plan then monitor it for success or failure.  Use the regulations and manuals to guide you, but don't let them hamstring you as often they are designed to fit larger organizations.  Keeping them in mind you will need to achieve their intent.  Keep up the good work, keep your seniors in the loop and ask for help, take advice from others and you will do well.  If you are struggling, you can always sound stuff out here.  There are lots of great people here who I know have great backgrounds in cadet programs and want to see everyone succeed.

Regards
John Jester
VAWG

C/ID-073

Quote from: LSThiker on February 19, 2016, 04:53:45 AM

Excellent question.  In fact, this would be a good time to reflect, as an officer, what leadership means and how that is different from management.  Does a cadet officer need to directly instruct cadets?  Does a leader always need to directly instruct cadets in order to get the mission accomplished?  How does the role of a Flight Sergeant augment the role of a Flight Commander?  Is there a way in which a flight commander can instruct cadets without directly instructing cadets?

I would like to hear your answers as a C/1st Lt on these matters.
--
I've always been taught that officers look at the 'big picture', make the plans, and make the goals while the NCO's are supposed to make those goals happen. Officers don't have to be directly involved unless there isn't a lot of NCO's in the squadron. A flight sergeant is supposed is supposed to carry out the goals and plans of the flight commander and the first sergeant. Yes, simply by using their NCO's. I think that officers, who have been doing the dirty work for so long have a hard time taking that step back and trusting that the NCO's will do it for them. Even for me; that's why I'm trying to make it the way it is supposed to be so the next generation of leaders in my squadron doing things right because they were taught right.
Cadet Executive Officer

C/ID-073

Cadet Executive Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 09:07:39 PM
I've always been taught that officers look at the 'big picture', make the plans, and make the goals while the NCO's are supposed to make those goals happen. Officers don't have to be directly involved unless there isn't a lot of NCO's in the squadron. A flight sergeant is supposed is supposed to carry out the goals and plans of the flight commander and the first sergeant. Yes, simply by using their NCO's. I think that officers, who have been doing the dirty work for so long have a hard time taking that step back and trusting that the NCO's will do it for them. Even for me; that's why I'm trying to make it the way it is supposed to be so the next generation of leaders in my squadron doing things right because they were taught right.

Although I think this could be expanded quite a bit, but using this, how would you answer your question:

C/ID-073

Quote from: LSThiker on February 19, 2016, 09:15:38 PM
Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 09:07:39 PM

Although I think this could be expanded quite a bit, but using this, how would you answer your question:

By using her NCO's? So should she using the first sergeant and flight sergeant to instruct the cadets. But how does she mentor the flight sergeant if she isn't around him?-Does she use the first sergeant for that as well?
Respectfully,
C/1stLt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 09:34:27 PM
By using her NCO's? So should she using the first sergeant and flight sergeant to instruct the cadets. But how does she mentor the flight sergeant if she isn't around him?-Does she use the first sergeant for that as well?

Who does the first sergeant work for?  The cadet commander or the flight commander? 
Who does the flight sergeant work for?  The first sergeant or the flight commander?

Does a leader need to be around the entire time to mentor someone?

C/ID-073

Quote from: LSThiker on February 19, 2016, 10:00:58 PM
Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 09:34:27 PM

Who does the first sergeant work for?  The cadet commander or the flight commander? 
Who does the flight sergeant work for?  The first sergeant or the flight commander?

Does a leader need to be around the entire time to mentor someone?

First sergeant's direct supervisor is the cadet commander. And the flight sergeants direct supervisor is the flight commander. And not necessarily, but they do need to be around sometimes I would think.
Respectfully,
C/1stLt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: C/ID-073 on February 19, 2016, 10:20:07 PM
First sergeant's direct supervisor is the cadet commander. And the flight sergeants direct supervisor is the flight commander. And not necessarily, but they do need to be around sometimes I would think.

Correct.  So the direct supervisor of a flight sergeant is the flight commander, who's direct supervisor is the cadet commander.  The first sergeant's direct supervisor is the cadet commander but helps in mentoring the flight sergeant through the NCO support channel.

You are correct in that a mentor does not need to always watch the mentee.  Whether that be a flight commander or first sergeant.   

If you put a little more critical thinking into these topics, you should now be able to answer your original questions:

QuoteMy clear questions are, what should my first sergeant and flight commander be doing inside and outside the meetings? Should they both be planning drill? Should my flight commander stand aside more as her NCO's go on with her goals (working inside with the cadet staff/standing and observing), or should she be directly involved with the flight?-If so, how does she "instruct cadets" if she stands aside? Finally, how do my flight commander and first sergeant work together without getting in the way of each others jobs (in a squadron with one flight)?