Relocation Sortie Question for HS, CD, etc.

Started by sparksnmagic, January 19, 2016, 11:59:30 PM

sparksnmagic

Does anybody in here know whether we count relocation sorties for homeland security and counter-drug ribbons?  If you have the answer, please share your justification.  Thanks -- BK
Brad Kidder, Capt
Arkansas Wing PAO

lordmonar

If the sorties are conducted on an DHS or a CD mission number then they count.   It does not matter what the purpose for the sortie was.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: CAPR39-3e. Counterdrug Ribbon. Awarded to senior members for participation in 10 counterdrug sorties.

Quote from: CAPR39-3l. Homeland Security Ribbon. Awarded for participation in ten actual Homeland Security sorties as defined by the tasking organization as being in the interest of the security and/or defense of the nation.

No distinction is made about relocation versus search sorties, or even ground versus air. The only requirement is that they be actual missions, not training.

As a note, when I got my first CD ribbon, more than half of my CD sorties were relocation sorties; and of those, 2 were air and 4 were ground.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

sparksnmagic

I am inclined to agree with you both, given that they are all under the same mission regardless of sortie type.  I'm doing ribbons as part of my recruiting/retention contribution, and this affects device count.  Thanks!
Brad Kidder, Capt
Arkansas Wing PAO

AirDX

Agree with all the above; a sortie is a sortie.  I kept track and got all my crews awarded homeland security ribbons when I was a wing ops guy running the Cope Spade missions.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Storm Chaser

Actually, there is a distinction. The sortie has to be a Homeland Security, Counterdrug, SAR, etc. to count for the corresponding ribbon. Relocation is its own type of sortie and doesn't count. CAPR 39-3 clearly points to sortie type, not mission type.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 23, 2016, 02:34:29 AM
Actually, there is a distinction. The sortie has to be a Homeland Security, Counterdrug, SAR, etc. to count for the corresponding ribbon. Relocation is its own type of sortie and doesn't count. CAPR 39-3 clearly points to sortie type, not mission type.
Nope disagree.

A sortie is a sortie is a sortie.....they are all important and they all count.

Just like it does not matter what position you hold at the mission base.....they all count.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sparksnmagic

I got clarification from National on the topic.  Relocation sorties count, if they're under the same mission.  It falls under the "in any capacity" umbrella.  BK
Brad Kidder, Capt
Arkansas Wing PAO

disamuel

Sorry to chime in late. What about sorties to and from a CD training event? Mission symbol A5?

jeders

Quote from: disamuel on February 22, 2016, 09:54:03 PM
Sorry to chime in late. What about sorties to and from a CD training event? Mission symbol A5?

Generally speaking, training missions do not count towards ribbon credit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse