cap.gov email usage poll (don't vote if you aren't active please)

Started by Holding Pattern, December 18, 2015, 08:15:01 PM

How do you utilize your cap.gov email address?

I do not use a cap.gov email address.
41 (51.3%)
This is my primary contact email for CAP and CAP related activities.
37 (46.3%)
I use the applications associated with the email address access I have.
21 (26.3%)
I have linked third party applications to my account.
13 (16.3%)
I have used an electronic signature in conjunction with this email address.
20 (25%)
I have used PGP or S/MIME based encryption with my email address.
4 (5%)
I have set up 2 factor authentication for accessing my cap.gov email address.
5 (6.3%)
I'd use all of these extra features, if only someone would sit down and tell me about them.
8 (10%)
I am a cadet.
6 (7.5%)
I am a senior member.
61 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on December 19, 2015, 04:53:44 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 19, 2015, 04:35:28 PM
I would like to see CAP moving to an e-mail for life, just like the Air Force did. That way no matter what squadron or wing you're in, you can keep the same official e-mail address. Something like this would work: first.last@cap.gov

Too simple, makes too much sense, will never happen... ::)

The problem lies in who will manage the system. The things that are required to be done are taking longer than they should, so the things that are wanted are not a priority.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Fubar

Are there any other non-government organizations like ours that have been granted a .gov domain?

JeffDG

Our wing automatically provisions a <capid>@wing.us e-mail address upon a member joining.  Where possible (ie. where there is no duplicate), a firstname.lastname@wing.us alias is also provisioned at the same time.  After we moved out wing.cap.gov domain e-mail to our Google Apps, all of those also automatically inherited a @wing.cap.gov alias.

A quick check shows that approximately 1 in 8 of those accounts have been used for e-mail in the last week, and the peak we've seen is ~14%.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Fubar on December 19, 2015, 08:29:15 PM
Are there any other non-government organizations like ours that have been granted a .gov domain?

Several, however, we are the only way for a 12 year old to get a .gov account. :D

Fubar

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 19, 2015, 09:16:08 PM
Quote from: Fubar on December 19, 2015, 08:29:15 PM

Several, however, we are the only way for a 12 year old to get a .gov account. :D

Now that's funny! Do you have any examples of other organizations with .gov domains? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious.

Jimbo

In Virginia, we use Google Web Services which manages our @vawg.cap.gov account, which is basically a Google Account that comes with Google Docs, Calendar, etc.  Definitely handy, and easy to use if you already have your own personal Gmail account, to link together.
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

TheSkyHornet

Ohio Wing gives members a firstname.lastname@ohwg.cap.gov Gmail account.

Our squadron has a policy that we will not contact anyone within our squadron using another email once they have received their OHWG account. If you don't get informed about something, that's your fault.

We use Google Drive (including associated apps) in Cadet Programs, but may be going to an alternative system in the future hosted on our web server (still under early discussion).

Holding Pattern

Ok, so here is the reason for the survey: I'm experimenting with automatic PDF form filling. I have most of the information I need to make all the activity PDFs get autofilled.

The requirements for this are:
A file on your google drive with your personal data and squadron data that goes on a form
Filling out a google form for the remaining items that aren't the same (like the name of the activity, the POC, etc.)

The idea is that a cadet/SM, when interested in an activity, can immediately go online, fill out a minimum of information, attach an electronic signature, and have all their forms submitted to the activity POC.

If this plan works, a massive amount of paperwork can be eliminated from regular squadron activities.

Thoughts?

Jimbo

I think it is a good thought.  We have a talented Wing Director of IT who has done quite a bit of this already, programming registration/payment systems, etc and can tie it to the Wing membership database.  I think it makes registration easier for folks filling out forms, as well as provides a bit of data integrity!
James Keohane, Lt Col, CAP (Maj, USAFR)
Wing Director of Cadet Programs
Chief of Curriculum/Chief Instructor, Cadet Officer School
--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Units: VA-001, VA-025, TX-023, MA-015, MA-070, MA-032
Billy Mitchell (#49097); Amelia Earhart (#12098); Gen Ira C Eaker (#1239)

A.Member

Quote from: Jimbo on December 22, 2015, 09:19:04 PM
I think it is a good thought.  We have a talented Wing Director of IT who has done quite a bit of this already, programming registration/payment systems, etc and can tie it to the Wing membership database.  I think it makes registration easier for folks filling out forms, as well as provides a bit of data integrity!
You have to be very careful with this one (bold).  There are PCI and other regulatory considerations that must be followed.  Frankly, online payments is one space where I have no confidence this organization can (or should) handle competently at any level lower than NHQ.  Even then, there is probably too much risk and there is no reason why that risk shouldn't be fully transferred to a third party for complete handling.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 22, 2015, 09:05:17 PM
Ok, so here is the reason for the survey: I'm experimenting with automatic PDF form filling. I have most of the information I need to make all the activity PDFs get autofilled.

The requirements for this are:
A file on your google drive with your personal data and squadron data that goes on a form
Filling out a google form for the remaining items that aren't the same (like the name of the activity, the POC, etc.)

The idea is that a cadet/SM, when interested in an activity, can immediately go online, fill out a minimum of information, attach an electronic signature, and have all their forms submitted to the activity POC.

If this plan works, a massive amount of paperwork can be eliminated from regular squadron activities.

Thoughts?

One of the reasons we're talking about going to a web-based system for us rather than Google Drive is because the Drive gets cluttered and managing the permissions isn't always easy, especially when you have sub-folders and duty positions frequently changing. What I prefer is an electronic form that will automatically go to the POC, and we can easily change the contact by editing the email address rather than screw around with changing privileges.

Again, we're only in the early discussion phase of this, just brainstorming.

Tim Day

If you use PayPal for payments, you don't have to worry about the PCI, etc, since all the sensitive information stays behind PayPal's servers. Unfortunately, PayPal complicates things for the Wing DA, since the PayPal account has to be managed like a separate checkbook.

This, VAWG is transitioning to use of EventBrite for online registration / payments. It's a little more expensive than straight PayPal, but much simpler. When the event is complete, EventBrite simply cuts a check and mails it to an address the event manager provides.

Wings have to float any expenses that are due prior to the event.

Online registration for events through e-services would be a "killer app" for CAP. Ideally management permissions could be granted per event by Wing/IT and designated Wing Staff (maybe CS, DA, CP). This would save a massive amount of paperwork and unit, wing, and region administrative effort.

VAWG uses Google Apps for Education / NonProfits on our vawg.cap.gov domain.  To be honest, I view this as a stop-gap measure until CAP implements an enterprise-wide approach. We'll increasingly be expected to share mission data with other partners, and until we have an enterprise approach that will be complicated even within our organization. For example, our region uses a different email system so there are extra steps involved in linking an incident commander who holds region staff position to shared folders we use for missions.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Tim Day on December 27, 2015, 08:46:59 PM
If you use PayPal for payments, you don't have to worry about the PCI, etc, since all the sensitive information stays behind PayPal's servers. Unfortunately, PayPal complicates things for the Wing DA, since the PayPal account has to be managed like a separate checkbook.

This, VAWG is transitioning to use of EventBrite for online registration / payments. It's a little more expensive than straight PayPal, but much simpler. When the event is complete, EventBrite simply cuts a check and mails it to an address the event manager provides.

Wings have to float any expenses that are due prior to the event.

Online registration for events through e-services would be a "killer app" for CAP. Ideally management permissions could be granted per event by Wing/IT and designated Wing Staff (maybe CS, DA, CP). This would save a massive amount of paperwork and unit, wing, and region administrative effort.

VAWG uses Google Apps for Education / NonProfits on our vawg.cap.gov domain.  To be honest, I view this as a stop-gap measure until CAP implements an enterprise-wide approach. We'll increasingly be expected to share mission data with other partners, and until we have an enterprise approach that will be complicated even within our organization. For example, our region uses a different email system so there are extra steps involved in linking an incident commander who holds region staff position to shared folders we use for missions.

Ideally I'd love to see us use a MS Dynamics CRM modified for our use case.

umpirecali

One thing I have extreme disliked about Eventbrite is that only the person who setup the event can obtain the data or modify it in any way.  A few months back I was the OIC for several training events run by the squadron but open to the group.  I asked my group PAO to setup the event and send out an email to the group.  He did, but I had no way to see who had registered.  I had to send him weekly reminders to send me the list of registered people.  Each time I request the info, I'd have to wait a day or so for the response.  This made planning difficult.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Pylon

Quote from: umpirecali on December 28, 2015, 04:25:46 AM

One thing I have extreme disliked about Eventbrite is that only the person who setup the event can obtain the data or modify it in any way.  A few months back I was the OIC for several training events run by the squadron but open to the group.  I asked my group PAO to setup the event and send out an email to the group.  He did, but I had no way to see who had registered.  I had to send him weekly reminders to send me the list of registered people.  Each time I request the info, I'd have to wait a day or so for the response.  This made planning difficult.

In Eventbrite, you can set up accounts (sub-users) for others to access event management and registration information besides the event owner.
https://www.eventbrite.com/support/articles/en_US/How_To/how-to-add-additional-event-managers-to-an-eventbrite-account?lg=en_US

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP