cap.gov email usage poll (don't vote if you aren't active please)

Started by Holding Pattern, December 18, 2015, 08:15:01 PM

How do you utilize your cap.gov email address?

I do not use a cap.gov email address.
41 (51.3%)
This is my primary contact email for CAP and CAP related activities.
37 (46.3%)
I use the applications associated with the email address access I have.
21 (26.3%)
I have linked third party applications to my account.
13 (16.3%)
I have used an electronic signature in conjunction with this email address.
20 (25%)
I have used PGP or S/MIME based encryption with my email address.
4 (5%)
I have set up 2 factor authentication for accessing my cap.gov email address.
5 (6.3%)
I'd use all of these extra features, if only someone would sit down and tell me about them.
8 (10%)
I am a cadet.
6 (7.5%)
I am a senior member.
61 (76.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Holding Pattern

This unofficial poll is to give me an idea if there is interest for apps that will take advantage of certain features available with our email system.

NC Hokie

Picked I do not use a cap.gov email address because I do not HAVE one to use.  I would use it if I had it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

jdh

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 18, 2015, 08:29:51 PM
Picked I do not use a cap.gov email address because I do not HAVE one to use.  I would use it if I had it.

Same, I have two .org emails but no .gov (from CAP).

dwb

I'm a big supporter of *.cap.gov email addresses. I use it for all my CAP email. Looks much better working with external partners than commercial email domains (or, even worse, something like pilotd00d@aol.com).

SMWOG

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SMWOG on December 18, 2015, 09:34:57 PM
How  does one go about getting a cap.gov email?

Check in with your squadron/group/wing IT officer, in that order. Each wing has a different access protocol. None are communicated well. I also suspect though I am not certain that any wing that does not have a *wg.cap.gov as their wing homepage won't have cap.gov emails able to be set up for them. I'd be interested in feedback from people in that group if this is true or not.

Storm Chaser

My wing uses wing.us for all members and wing.gov for certain key wing personnel. As far as I know, we don't have access to cap.gov. If we did, I would probably use it when communicating with external organizations and agencies.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 18, 2015, 09:49:35 PM
My wing uses wing.us for all members and wing.gov for certain key wing personnel. As far as I know, we don't have access to cap.gov. If we did, I would probably use it when communicating with external organizations and agencies.

Do the wing.us email accounts use google apps?

Chappie

The Chaplain Corps social media guru got us set up in Google with a hc.cap.gov domain.  All members of the Chaplain Corps (Chaplains and CDIs alike) have their own email address....we can send group mailings...National/Region/Wing chaplains have a generic account as well as a personal account that way when their tenure is over the account remains the same....there is access to Google Docs/Calendar and other shared resources.  We use the e-Signature that was approved by NHQ.   Now the challenge is to get everyone on board and accustomed to using it :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Holding Pattern

Post 666 gives me advanced knowledge of the Chaplain IT system.

I guess the devil really is in the details...

Chappie

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 18, 2015, 10:04:43 PM

Good obs...very quick to post a response to change the number -- lest someone tries to perform an exorcism on me  >:D

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Chappie on December 18, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

Good obs...very quick to post a response to change the number -- lest someone tries to perform an exorcism on me  >:D

Don't worry, no one wants to fill out the CAPFs or ORMs needed on an exorcism. The paperwork alone could take months.

TarRiverRat

I have a wing email address not a cap.gov email.  I voted that I did have by mistake.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

kcebnaes

I love being able to have a ".gov" email! It really does seem to make things seem more official! In Ohio Wing, we have a "first.last@ohwg.cap.gov" address. The lovely IT staff at Wing set that up for each new member within a week of them showing up on eServices.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

Chappie

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 19, 2015, 12:03:59 AM
Quote from: Chappie on December 18, 2015, 11:13:49 PM

Don't worry, no one wants to fill out the CAPFs or ORMs needed on an exorcism. The paperwork alone could take months.

Good form :)

Гугл переводчик

Our wing uses a .com email address, while our squadron uses a .org
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Grumpy

Seems to me that CAP is creating all kinds of procedures, apps, etc. but we don't get the training to use them.  One day the app isn't there, the next it's there but we get no warning or how to use it.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on December 18, 2015, 09:54:14 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 18, 2015, 09:49:35 PM

Do the wing.us email accounts use google apps?

I don't think so.

Storm Chaser

I would like to see CAP moving to an e-mail for life, just like the Air Force did. That way no matter what squadron or wing you're in, you can keep the same official e-mail address. Something like this would work: first.last@cap.gov

PHall

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 19, 2015, 04:35:28 PM
I would like to see CAP moving to an e-mail for life, just like the Air Force did. That way no matter what squadron or wing you're in, you can keep the same official e-mail address. Something like this would work: first.last@cap.gov

Too simple, makes too much sense, will never happen... ::)