Main Menu

Publications rewrite

Started by MacGruff, December 10, 2015, 06:14:59 PM

MacGruff

The Capmembers web site has an announcement on it that all work on revisions of any CAP Regulation is suspended. All of them will be rewritten from scratch.

Hmm....     ???

MSG Mac

Quite a few Regs and Manuals are outdated and rather than doing them piecemeal, NHQ is doing everything over. Good move. No more complaining about small changes, no more rewriting to change 5 lines in a 30 page document.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Garibaldi

Pssht...give me 3 months and I can re-write 39-1 into something we all can understand. No gray area. Plain-speak. Probably about 50 pages lighter, too.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

I'll settle for 2 months and you help get our NCO slide decks done, pal!

FOCUS!  (grin)

V/R
Spam

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on December 10, 2015, 08:52:56 PM
I'll settle for 2 months and you help get our NCO slide decks done, pal!

FOCUS!  (grin)

V/R
Spam

Ah, the perils of having your CC on CAPTalk...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Live2Learn

Quote from: MacGruff on December 10, 2015, 06:14:59 PM
The Capmembers web site has an announcement on it that all work on revisions of any CAP Regulation is suspended. All of them will be rewritten from scratch.

Hmm....     ???

Big task.  Has there been any 'call' for militia to staff the project?

arajca

According to the email I received, this is going to be a multi-year task. Given that and the reluctance by most of National to involve the vast unwashed masses in the regulation writing process, don't hold your breath waiting for the call to arms keyboards.

THRAWN

Quote from: arajca on December 11, 2015, 02:55:15 PM
According to the email I received, this is going to be a multi-year task. Given that and the reluctance by most of National to involve the vast unwashed masses in the regulation writing process, don't hold your breath waiting for the call to arms keyboards.

Which, of course, makes no sense. Some of us live in regulations and know what works and what doesn't...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

This "rewrite" is all good in hypothesis, but how will this look in real life?  Are members really going to "rewrite" the publications and start from essentially a "blank sheet"?  Or are they really just going to make large edits to their already existing documents and ultimately resulting in the same thing as today?

MSG Mac

Quote from: LSThiker on December 11, 2015, 03:13:33 PM
This "rewrite" is all good in hypothesis, but how will this look in real life?  Are members really going to "rewrite" the publications and start from essentially a "blank sheet"?  Or are they really just going to make large edits to their already existing documents and ultimately resulting in the same thing as today?

My perception of the process is that the publications will be (re)written by select individuals and teams who are subject matter experts in the particular areas of concern. I.E.: PD will most likely be done by Col Bryan (Thor) Cooper, and CCMSGT Eldridge and their committees.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 11, 2015, 03:25:39 PM

My perception of the process is that the publications will be (re)written by select individuals and teams who are subject matter experts in the particular areas of concern. I.E.: PD will most likely be done by Col Bryan (Thor) Cooper, and CCMSGT Eldridge and their committees.

So, the same team that hosed them up in the first place. Good call. I'm sure that there are plenty of SMEs in the field that should be included. Outside eyes are always good to use...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

If you read the documents linked, the answers are in there.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on December 11, 2015, 04:55:07 PM

What, read all of the post before flying off the handle???  That's not allowed here on CAPTalk! >:D

arajca

The only point where members are expressly involved is after the reg is rewritten. ONE squadron level senior member will chosen PER REGION to see if the reg make sense/is understandable/is usable.

TheSkyHornet

The biggest thing I hope NHQ stresses is uniformity and interfacing of manuals. Everything should match and be concise to the same common point(s).

But I do think it's a good move.

LSThiker

I did and that is the hypothesis I am talking about.  Plans look good on paper, but are often not executed in that manner. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on December 11, 2015, 07:48:02 PM

I did and that is the hypothesis I am talking about.  Plans look good on paper, but are often not executed in that manner.

+1

This is where I fall when I hear about rewrites, knowing first hand that paper vs reality doesn't always fit together, and a major issue is that you don't see those revisions to reflect on what actually works or reinforcement of what's on paper.

Live2Learn

If it's a "clean slate" approach, and only the already anointed need apply we've nothing to worry about.  The committee of authors will either write coherent regs (and neglect their other duties) or do their other duties (and slap something together).  24/7/365 is a wonderful limitation on even the most ambitious who live on a fixed or declining budget.

RiverAux

While I've got no experience writing CAP regulations, I've got plenty with writing regs in my day job and I am pretty sure that they won't really be starting from a blank sheet of paper.

I do hope that do approach every one of them with the question, "Do we REALLY need this regulation in the first place?" and if so, "What is the minimal amount of regulation that we need for this topic?"

jhighman

Quote from: RiverAux on December 12, 2015, 01:54:17 PM

I do hope that do approach every one of them with the question, "Do we REALLY need this regulation in the first place?" and if so, "What is the minimal amount of regulation that we need for this topic?"

+1

Time has a way of adding weight to us all, and regulations are certainly no exception. You're 100% right that it needs to start by defining what they hope to achieve or what problem they need to address when authoring these regs and then go from there. Less can certainly be more if it allows focused and directed guidance and not simply adding bureaucracy for bureaucracy 's sake!