Armed Forces decorations on CAP uniforms

Started by DrewBirds, June 26, 2015, 11:01:32 PM

DrewBirds

I don't want to wear my CIB or anything. Actually I'm wondering if a Senior Member can wear a national defense ribbon or GWOT ribbon on the AF style or BDUs. Just wondered. If any army veterans know... My cousin is graduating from HS he is ROTC. He wants me to wear a uniform. The BDU was phased out the year I enlisted. Can I wear a BDU with the same awards and rank as when I separated from AD? I really don't want to buy ACUs for one day and I never wore the current ASU. I wore Dress Greens three times my entire life and I do not like them.

DrewBirds

Edit BDU was phased out when I was overseas. I had to check a army article.

Al Sayre

We don't wear ribbons on BDUs.  Generally,  you can wear your military ribbons with your USAF blue uniforms.  Wings etc. Can be worn on BDU's, but need to be on an ultramarine background and are a bit hard to come by. ...  See CAP manual 39-1 for more info.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MSG Mac

Quote from: DrewBirds on June 26, 2015, 11:01:32 PM
I don't want to wear my CIB or anything. Actually I'm wondering if a Senior Member can wear a national defense ribbon or GWOT ribbon on the AF style or BDUs. Just wondered. If any army veterans know... My cousin is graduating from HS he is ROTC. He wants me to wear a uniform. The BDU was phased out the year I enlisted. Can I wear a BDU with the same awards and rank as when I separated from AD? I really don't want to buy ACUs for one day and I never wore the current ASU. I wore Dress Greens three times my entire life and I do not like them.

Where did you serve in the Army that allowed the wear of ribbons on the BDU or ASU uniform? Any "federally" recognized ribbons may be worn on the CAP Service Uniform (Blues w/service coat)-NO STATE AWARDS.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

I don't want to wear my CIB or anything.

Actually, I believe that your CIB is fully authorized on BDUs (not the Blue BDUs, but the AF BDUs)

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 27, 2015, 12:45:00 AM

Where did you serve in the Army that allowed the wear of ribbons on the BDU or ASU uniform? Any "federally" recognized ribbons may be worn on the CAP Service Uniform (Blues w/service coat)-NO STATE AWARDS.

If it's on your DD-214, you can wear it on the AF style blue uniform (aka Class B).  CAPM 39-1 and CAPR 39-3 are the regs you need to check.

DrewBirds

It most definitely was never allowed per AR 670-1 or by any other AR.  But, I have worn ribbons on the ACU to funerals and if I broke the rules... Well I'm 100 percent TDIU they can forgive my transgression. I never wore ribbons to work as an 11B. I did wear ribbons on my greens when I separated. I assumed the AF may actually allow wearing them on BDUs. I wore Class As a total of three times. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing the current ASU. We are Army Green not army black and blue circa 1865.

DrewBirds

I should clarify that I wouldn't wear the new Army dress uniform it looks like a civil war uniform. But, nevertheless I suppose I'll wear my Greens to the graduation.

DrewBirds

Quote from: PHall on June 27, 2015, 01:29:26 AM

If it's on your DD-214, you can wear it on the AF style blue uniform (aka Class B).  CAPM 39-1 and CAPR 39-3 are the regs you need to check.
Yes. I have member 1 and member 4.  I have been looking at the regs for the OH Military Reserve same thing pretty much. They actually wear Class A greens and BDUs. You all have very similar AF dress uniforms.

arajca

I've been following this discussion and I need to clarify something to me. I see you asking a couple of questions:
1. Can you wear ribbons on the CAP BDU?
2. Can you wear Army badges on the CAP BDU?
3 Can you wear your last Army rank/grade on the CAP BDU?

Simple answers:
1. No
2. Yes, but only cloth versions, not metal.
3. No

If I'm mistaken, please let me know.

DrewBirds

Thanks for clarifying that. One of the many reasons I wouldn't wear the CIB. Cloth sewing.
The second question though... I didn't wonder about that. Civil Air Patrol doesn't have enlisted and NCO ranks.

Brad

Quote from: DrewBirds on June 27, 2015, 04:15:03 AMThe second question though... I didn't wonder about that. Civil Air Patrol doesn't have enlisted and NCO ranks.

Actually they do. CAPR 35-5 section 6-2:
Quote6-2. Initial Eligibility requirements.
a. Currently, those CAP members who are military or former military NCOs and do not wish to be considered for CAP officer grades may be appointed to a CAP NCO grade under provisions of this section. The CAP initial grade granted will be equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard.

You wear the CAP NCO equivalent insignia for what you earned in the military.

Example:
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Luis R. Ramos

...not army black and blue circa 1865.

Since when did the US Army wore "black and blue" in 1865?

The standard uniform was a dark blue shirt and kepi, and light blue pants. Some may have worn a black Stetson, but that was it!

Tell me, where is the black in these photos?

At the bottom, a Cavalry Corporal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Army

The photo of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry Regiment charging Fort Wagner, are they depicted in black? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment

Some wore dark blue shirts and pants, but no black!

[Edited to add the following.]

After the Civil War, the uniform became dark blue, still no black except maybe hats and belts.

You may be confused by the Navy Blue that some police departments wear. In New York City, the police uniform, the pants and shirts that some EMS wear are dark Navy Blue, that looks almost black.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

DrewBirds

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 27, 2015, 02:10:33 PM

...not army black and blue circa 1865.

Since when did the US Army wore "black and blue" in 1865?

The standard uniform was a dark blue shirt and kepi, and light blue pants. Some may have worn a black Stetson, but that was it!

Tell me, where is the black in these photos?

At the bottom, a Cavalry Corporal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniforms_of_the_United_States_Army

The photo of the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry Regiment charging Fort Wagner, are they depicted in black? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment

Some wore dark blue shirts and pants, but no black!

[Edited to add the following.]

After the Civil War, the uniform became dark blue, still no black except maybe hats and belts.

You may be confused by the Navy Blue that some police departments wear. In New York City, the police uniform, the pants and shirts that some EMS wear are dark Navy Blue, that looks almost black.
Bradley Manning the traitor looked like he was wearing a black coat and blue trousers with a yellow stripe when he was leaving for Leavenworth. The link I included appears to be a civil war uniform in my opinion. The Dress Greens are a much better uniform in appearance. I don't know if you served in the greatest branch of the military aka The U.S. Army but... Remember the tag that comes on the Greens... The Class A uniform the uniform of distinction!

DrewBirds

With that I rest my case. First. They allow the black beret. Then they get rid of the woodland BDU and give us the ACU. You can blend in with a rock wearing them I suppose. Then they ditch the Greens for a uniform that is Black and Blue. That soldier has a black coat on in the link I posted. Plus the stripe should be reserved for Commissioned Officers. The Army tried to provide one uniform that served two purposes in the ACU and they believed that the new Army Service Uniform would somehow be better than the Greens. No. I do realize I should have chosen my words more carefully. It is indeed a goofy looking uniform. Whereas I have many good memories and had good luck the three times I wore my Greens. It was always a good day.  And In My OPINION it is similar to a civil war uniform.

DrewBirds

Quote from: Brad on June 27, 2015, 04:30:02 AM
Quote from: DrewBirds on June 27, 2015, 04:15:03 AMThe second question though... I didn't wonder about that. Civil Air Patrol doesn't have enlisted and NCO ranks.

Actually they do. CAPR 35-5 section 6-2:
Quote6-2. Initial Eligibility requirements.
a. Currently, those CAP members who are military or former military NCOs and do not wish to be considered for CAP officer grades may be appointed to a CAP NCO grade under provisions of this section. The CAP initial grade granted will be equivalent to the grade held in the active duty military, Reserve or National Guard.

You wear the CAP NCO equivalent insignia for what you earned in the military.

Example:
Ok. But even then you really have no enlisted ranks to keep in check and direct.
Seems that this would be helpful if one was involved in the training of cadets.

PHall

DrewBirds

It is the darkest blue I've seen then. Yeah, because this uniform wasn't issued to incoming recruits when I went through OSUT. When I seperated some chatter went on about getting rid of the greens and getting this goofy looking uniform. Still it's almost black. Very dark blue still doesn't change the fact Greens look better. The wear out date for greens was OCT 2014. Glad it doesn't apply to veterans and AR 670-1.

DrewBirds

Quote from: PHall on June 28, 2015, 01:48:35 PM
Quote from: DrewBirds on June 28, 2015, 05:07:06 AM
Tell me this isn't black

http://www.usarak.army.mil/alaskapost/Archives2008/080829/images/Aug29Story5ma_Large.jpg

It's not black. It's dark blue. When you see this uniform in person it's very obvious.

Taken from Wikipedia:
As of April 2010 all incoming recruits for basic training will receive the new Army Service Uniform. The Army Service uniform is a return to the Army Blue uniform of the Revolutionary War it also recalls the Civil War's blue uniform notably the shoulder straps and the wearing of light blue trousers by enlisted men and officers. Again it looks goofy and old. I will choose my words more carefully next time.