I'm curous about something I saw on my cadet in photo at encampment...

Started by Nillabeans7, June 22, 2015, 07:06:25 PM

Nillabeans7

Hi-

I'm new to the boards, although a long-time anon reader. I did search, but cannot find an answer existing, so forgive me if it's been addressed.

I'm a parent enjoying the access to photos, as I have 2 cadets at a wing encampment for the first time, thanks to the scholarship allotment. The cadet in question is rather seasoned, but getting close to officer, so this was, of course, a required thing. I noticed my son wearing a safety pin with a bead. He seems to be one of only 2-3 cadets with said pin on their black t-shirts.

What is the pin for? 

LSThiker

It is probably a method of identification for staff ease. There is no standard for that method. However, in the past I have seen it, or a ribbon, or engineering tape, or whatever to mean prior heat injury, allergies, medical condition, or even non medical reasons such as a non participant in a certain event.

Nillabeans7

catrulz

I have not been able to access the photos for the MO Wing Encampment from work.  If they are not using different colored hats to identify flights, the bead may indicate what flight they are assigned to.  When I ran an encampment, I used different colored dog tags (not a fan of encampment hats).

Nillabeans7

Well, if it IS med related, then I'm very glad to see my 1-striper daughter NOT sporting it! Hopefully, it's flight -related identity instead  :-\

The 16yo son has done NESA and plenty of BCT events, as well as Alabama WESS, and it GTM1 cert, so I'm sure he's fine. I was just curious, as at the time, he seemed to about the only. I've now seen several others when I went looking through other photos.

PA Guy

If you are that worried call the encampment and ask what it means. It is OK to do that. It could mean a hundred different things I can think of, none of them bad.

Offutteer

It looks like they were doing a Team Leadership Problem, so the pin could have represented something for that event. 

Nillabeans7

Quote from: PA Guy on June 22, 2015, 07:40:35 PM
If you are that worried call the encampment and ask what it means. It is OK to do that. It could mean a hundred different things I can think of, none of them bad.

I am curious enough to ask, but not worried enough to go being "that mom." I mean, I obviously care tremendously for the kids, but I also have to trust that the staff will contact me if they need me. I've got several years as a CAP mom, and previous cadet (though not for long.) This is just our first Missouri wing encampment, and really first major anything in Missouri, period. We've come from GA, where I knew most all the staff and seniors personally at the time, and had the kind of relationships with them where I could text anyone and ask anything because we were actually friends. This is unchartered territory for me, as I've not become close to any of the people here.

catrulz

There is an Encampment E-mail address, you can sent an inquiry:

encampment@mowgcap.org

I'm the DCC of your next closest unit, and I have two cadets there also.

Nillabeans7

I do appreciate the info. If it gets under my skin enough, I might brave the inquiry officially. But for now, I'll let it sit, and if anyone ends out with a direct answer or personal knowledge, it would be wonderful to put it to ease. Chris is well-seasoned, intelligent, capable cadet. I have to have the faith to trust his superiors and learn to let go-- I mean, the kid will be old enough to move out and away in not too much time, for goodness sake! If it were my 14yo daughter, I'd be on the phone now!!! This really IS her first anything like this, and although she also is strong and quite intelligent, she's a bit closer to a kid, imho, so my concern would be better founded.